The Student Room Group

Medicine Foundation

Hi guys!
So, I've been thinking a lot about wha i wnt to do in my future and I'm still very confused about things. Well, I know for sure that I want to study medicine,but also, I want to study it abroad (somewhere at UK, US or Canada). I'm doing my IGCSEs this year and I'll be taking 7 subjects total. I'm also not aiming for more than 2 AL which is crazy if I want to study medicine, but trust me I have no time. Plus, those 7 IGCSEs are going to consume my energy and power and might even take more than 2 years to ace them. Anyway, I talked to my English teacher about it and She suggested I do some research about "Medical Foundations". She says that it's a school that makes you do your Alevels abroad, and can help you go to a medicine university. I can't find enough information on the internet and I have some questions to ask.
1-What is the system of such schools?
2-Are they only at UK? or are they anywhere else?
3-Will I be able to go to a good medicine University after doing my ALevels there?
4-Do you recommend it?
5-What is the best medicine foundation school I could go to?
Thank You :smile:
Please reply.
Reply 1
Original post by Nadaelnaggar
Hi guys!
So, I've been thinking a lot about wha i wnt to do in my future and I'm still very confused about things. Well, I know for sure that I want to study medicine,but also, I want to study it abroad (somewhere at UK, US or Canada). I'm doing my IGCSEs this year and I'll be taking 7 subjects total. I'm also not aiming for more than 2 AL which is crazy if I want to study medicine, but trust me I have no time. Plus, those 7 IGCSEs are going to consume my energy and power and might even take more than 2 years to ace them. Anyway, I talked to my English teacher about it and She suggested I do some research about "Medical Foundations". She says that it's a school that makes you do your Alevels abroad, and can help you go to a medicine university. I can't find enough information on the internet and I have some questions to ask.
1-What is the system of such schools?
2-Are they only at UK? or are they anywhere else?
3-Will I be able to go to a good medicine University after doing my ALevels there?
4-Do you recommend it?
5-What is the best medicine foundation school I could go to?
Thank You :smile:
Please reply.

It's difficult to work out what you and your teacher are talking about from what you've said, not to mention the issue of whether you've understood what your teacher was saying, and whether your teacher did actually have an idea of what she was talking about.

1) Why won't you have time to do more than two A-levels? You will have to do something with a workload at least equivalent to three A-levels at some point if you want to study a medical degree. Sixth Form-level education is not an optional step between IGCSEs and university.

2) You don't seem to realise that medical school is something you do after already going to university and doing a degree in both the US and (at least in some cases) Canada. You need to decide where you want to go before you can work out what your next steps are.

3) Why might it take more than two years to do 7 IGCSEs? There is such a thing as the standard time taken to do both GCSEs/IGCSEs and A-levels. You can't just take extra time because you think you need it in order to get the best grades possible. That will only damage your application and chances.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending