becoming homeless

Watch this thread
josh1609
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Ok so basically I'm being made homeless in a months time...
My situation is that I'm 18, currently unemployed, living with my mother but she has given me a time limit of a month to move out (harsh and unrealistic I know)

Basically looking for anyone who knows about how to receive help from the council. My understanding is that with me being 18 i am not considered 'priority', therefore will not be given accommodation. Somebody told me that if I'm on benefits then they can give me accommodation but I'm not sure how true that is. One of my main questions is how do I go about applying for housing benefits when I'm not eligible for it until I have a flat?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Josh
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
aww wow that's really bad. why is your mum kicking you out if you don't mind me asking? also why don't you get in contact with your council?
josh1609
Rep:
(Original post by Safiya122)
aww wow that's really bad. why is your mum kicking you out if you don't mind me asking? also why don't you get in contact with your council?
She's moving and will cost too much to take me with her, I have a feeling that I'm going to have to be on the streets before the council actually decide to help
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by josh1609)
She's moving and will cost too much to take me with her, I have a feeling that I'm going to have to be on the streets before the council actually decide to help
can you not live with a friend or relative?
NinjaNicky
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
1) Sofa surf, if you have any friends or relatives who will have you for a night or two, use it whilst you find your feet.

2) Get down to the Citizens Advice Bureau, they will be able to tell you exactly who you need to speak to about the situation to get the help you need
stewartw
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If your mum is moving away and leaving you then yes the council will help you. Which area do you live in? Search online for their homeless contact and phone them up. Should have 24/7 support. They will provide you with accommodation straight away. It will be a Bed and Breakfast type place until they find you a homeless flat. If you are a student then you are not entitled to hosing benefit so you would be charged about £100 a week. If you are unemployed and claiming benefits then you will get 90% of the £100 paid for you if not all. They will contact your mum to make sure its a genuine claim so let her know they are calling. Another thing they can help you do is give you an advance for a private let flat, they can pay your deposit and first month.

Let me know how you get on .

Stewart
josh1609
Rep:
(Original post by stewartw)
If your mum is moving away and leaving you then yes the council will help you. Which area do you live in? Search online for their homeless contact and phone them up. Should have 24/7 support. They will provide you with accommodation straight away. It will be a Bed and Breakfast type place until they find you a homeless flat. If you are a student then you are not entitled to hosing benefit so you would be charged about £100 a week. If you are unemployed and claiming benefits then you will get 90% of the £100 paid for you if not all. They will contact your mum to make sure its a genuine claim so let her know they are calling. Another thing they can help you do is give you an advance for a private let flat, they can pay your deposit and first month.

Let me know how you get on .

Stewart
Thank you so much that sounds like I might be able to get by after all, a couple more questions though if you can help

At what point shall I get in touch with the council? Before or after I get kicked out?

What shall I do in the meantime? I've been applying for every job advert I can find and I've sorted a meeting out with the job centre about claiming jobseekers allowance

And also I live in a pretty run down place and I've seen some of the youth hostels and people there get their valuables stolen on a daily basis, I've got quite a lot of valuables so should I risk moving them in to wherever I move?

Thanks in advance
stewartw
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by josh1609)
Thank you so much that sounds like I might be able to get by after all, a couple more questions though if you can help

At what point shall I get in touch with the council? Before or after I get kicked out?

What shall I do in the meantime? I've been applying for every job advert I can find and I've sorted a meeting out with the job centre about claiming jobseekers allowance

And also I live in a pretty run down place and I've seen some of the youth hostels and people there get their valuables stolen on a daily basis, I've got quite a lot of valuables so should I risk moving them in to wherever I move?

Thanks in advance
If you are getting kicked out this week then I would go down and see the council ASAP. To be honest, if you are getting kicked out within the next few weeks then you will get more support if you are claiming benefits so make sure you get your Jobs Seekers up and running. You will usually get sent to a ruff bed and breakfast/hostel style place to stay when you first become homeless but if you complain straight away, say you don't feel safe and you should get moved. I stay in Stirling and was homeless. For Stirling you get sent to Bed and Breakfast for a couple of weeks and then you get a fully furnished homeless flat for a year or two then you will get your own council tenancy.

If you are getting kicked out within the next few months then I would try and find a job and saving some money for a private let. The council should help you and could pay a deposit for you and your first months rent. I said to get a job doing this because a lot of private land lords don't accept hosing benefit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.69%
The paper was reasonable (220)
42.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (46)
8.97%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.46%

Watched Threads