The Student Room Group

OCR A452 / A453 Computing

Was anyone else affected by the withdrawal of the Assessment materials when OCR withdrew the tasks for GCSE Computing?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing my computing GCSE this year, but I'm doing Edexcel. There is less practical and more theory
Original post by conron
Was anyone else affected by the withdrawal of the Assessment materials when OCR withdrew the tasks for GCSE Computing?

I regret not doing Computing, it seems kind of fun.
Original post by Zeetingman
I regret not doing Computing, it seems kind of fun.

Fun?!?! HAhhahahaha no it isn't, so hard
Original post by Jono-Wolf
Fun?!?! HAhhahahaha no it isn't, so hard

I was very jealous of the people doing Computing. Their exams were so easy they did an OCR theory exam. Guess what it was about?
DNS Servers, it was basically ICT. I know all of this stuff. It's the coding that I don't like.
I was very jealous of the people doing Computing. Their exams were so easy they did an OCR theory exam. Guess what it was about?
DNS Servers, it was basically ICT. I know all of this stuff. It's the coding that I don't like.

The theory is too easy, I agree, but the practical is very hard. I am doing python, such a difficult and useless program to work with
Original post by Jono-Wolf
The theory is too easy, I agree, but the practical is very hard. I am doing python, such a difficult and useless program to work with

Exactly, I originally wanted ICT. But it doesn't fit in with my Timetable so I had the choice of Computing or some other subject. I choose Resistant Materials in the end. I had little time to decide. I had done computing in KS3 basic Scratch. It was sorta in the middle. The teacher that does the timetable was like "Well, whats the difference between ICT and Computing?", I was like lots of stuff. I hate coding and scripting. I have some knownledge on it, because I do a little bit of LUA scripting. The thing that put me off from Computing was the teacher. He's like "You need at least a 6a". I'm not a 6a so it put me off. All of a sudden, people who I know aren't 6a are choosing Computing :P
Exactly, I originally wanted ICT. But it doesn't fit in with my Timetable so I had the choice of Computing or some other subject. I choose Resistant Materials in the end. I had little time to decide. I had done computing in KS3 basic Scratch. It was sorta in the middle. The teacher that does the timetable was like "Well, whats the difference between ICT and Computing?", I was like lots of stuff. I hate coding and scripting. I have some knownledge on it, because I do a little bit of LUA scripting. The thing that put me off from Computing was the teacher. He's like "You need at least a 6a". I'm not a 6a so it put me off. All of a sudden, people who I know aren't 6a are choosing Computing :P

hahahaha wow, well my teacher told me that the test is going to be different depending on which program you use, so they'll be like code related stuff inside the paper, meaning that I'm screwed lol
Reply 8
The OCR Theory paper is extremely easy, Simple DNS, Database theory, Hardware, CPU, etc.

The A452 / A453 Controlled Assessments are quite a challenge however and at first glance look quite simple, however they are always a lot harder. Saying this, the Controlled Assessment doesn't require 20 hours worth of work, I did my A453 in about 5, and got 42/45 marks resulting in an A*

If anyone would like a look at some material from the course, whether it be work of my own regarding the theory, example response to the ca, just let me know.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by conron
The OCR Theory paper is extremely easy, Simple DNS, Database theory, Hardware, CPU, etc.

The A452 / A453 Controlled Assessments are quite a challenge however and at first glance look quite simple, however they are always a lot harder. Saying this, the Controlled Assessment doesn't require 20 hours worth of work, I did my A453 in about 5, and got 42/45 marks resulting in an A*

If anyone would like a look at some material from the course, whether it be work of my own regarding the theory, example response to the ca, just let me know.

Yeah, I'm currently doing the course right now doing the A452 course. I wanted to know how you set your coursework out as it can get tedious organising information correctly.
Reply 10
Original post by conron

I would like to know how you set out your A452 and A453 please. I don't feel like I'm doing it right
Reply 11
Hi conron. Would it be possible for me to see your work as I am doing the A453 right know and I am finding it difficult(having a bad teacher doesn't help)

Thanks in advance.
Reply 12
Original post by conron

Hi conron. Would it be possible for me to see your work as I am doing the A453 right know and I am finding it difficult(having a bad teacher doesn't help)

Thanks in advance.
Reply 13
Original post by conron

Reply 14
Just a note, I finished this course a while ago now. I do not plan to offer anymore support unfortunately.
i'm so stuck on little man computer and regarding A453 i've done the coursework for it but my written work for it is rubbish any ideas on how to improve. i feel like I haven't written enough detail explaining each task in A453

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by lilsadkitty
i'm so stuck on little man computer and regarding A453 i've done the coursework for it but my written work for it is rubbish any ideas on how to improve. i feel like I haven't written enough detail explaining each task in A453

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you learn to do the program for task 1, the arthmetic quiz im so stuck because importing functions dont work for some reason despite that im having trouble programming it in general.
Reply 17
I am doing A452 and A453 - A in a452 atm and a B in A453 which is unfinished, message me for help maybe?
BIaG Whats tasks have you done for the A452
Reply 19
Original post by Khalid2020
BIaG Whats tasks have you done for the A452

I've finished it, but going to touch up on it later when i finished a453.

Quick Reply

Latest