mymo
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
can you please tell me why the energy released by an alcohol increases as the number of carbon atoms increases?

thanks in advance
jumjum
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
carbon and combustion ?

(Original post by mymo)
can you please tell me why the energy released by an alcohol increases as the number of carbon atoms increases?

thanks in advance
when more hydrogen bonds are made
that is when energy is released
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
try this site: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...ackground.html
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I swear chemguide is basically why I passed my A-levels

Without it, I'd be doing sociology or retail assistant
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by R Dragon)
I swear chemguide is basically why I passed my A-levels

Without it, I'd be doing sociology or retail assistant
Nothing wrong with sociology haha
indigobluesss
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Safiya122)
Nothing wrong with sociology haha
nuuu I didn't mean to imply there was, I loved it at A-level

but I meant to say I'd be in a non-science related field

inb4 sociology is a science...
mymo
Rep:
i thought it was something to do with the fact that alcohols with longer chains (carbon bonds) need more energy to be broken and thus more energy is released?

and thanks for the link
rumana101
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mymo)
i thought it was something to do with the fact that alcohols with longer chains (carbon bonds) need more energy to be broken and thus more energy is released?

and thanks for the link
are you doing an isa on it
mymo
Rep:
yes i am, finding it quite hard
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mymo)

and thanks for the link
No, this is completely illogical.

The energy released is due to the formation of strong carbon=oxygen double bonds in carbon dioxide. The more carbon in the original compound the more carbon dioxide is formed and therefore the more the energy that is released.
mymo
Rep:
ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (37)
9.76%
Okay (110)
29.02%
A bit lacking (141)
37.2%
Not good at all (91)
24.01%

Watched Threads