Can I get into a law firm with a Economics degree?

Watch this thread
kid_kangaroo
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I kinda want to work at a big international Law Firm now, but Imm planning on doing an Economics degree... Mostly because Law is extremely oversubscribed & apparently seems like a hard sector to land a job in. The pay can be really bad too as I heard.
With an Economics degree I have more options for the future where there are other careers where I can also earn big bucks.
I'm just scared honestly that if I do a Law degree it'll be of no use when I can't land myself a job.
Anyway, is it really that hard to land yourself a job in those big internationally law firms? Like, do you have to have really good connections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
jumjum
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by kid_kangaroo)
I kinda want to work at a big international Law Firm now, but Imm planning on doing an Economics degree... Mostly because Law is extremely oversubscribed & apparently seems like a hard sector to land a job in. The pay can be really bad too as I heard.
With an Economics degree I have more options for the future where there are other careers where I can also earn big bucks.
I'm just scared honestly that if I do a Law degree it'll be of no use when I can't land myself a job.
Anyway, is it really that hard to land yourself a job in those big internationally law firms? Like, do you have to have really good connections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah it is all about contacts
Project Tsukyomi
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
There an interesting bbc documentary called who gets the best jobs. I highly advice you watch it on YouTube or something plus it shows a girl who got a job in a law firm with an AAB or an Abb. So yeah it might peak your interest.
legendary1
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I am exactly in the same position as you. but the good news is that you can do any degree, and then do a gdl; which is practically a law conversion course. And then from there you can train as a solicitor or a barrister. however I can't confirm to you whether employees would opt for someone with a law degree or another degree as well as the gdl.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Toxic_Legends
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
You can do a 'Graduate Diploma in Law' and become a registered barrister or solicitor. However, I'm not sure how competitive the courses are?
kid_kangaroo
Rep:
Yeah, I guess I'll be doing that then! I just hope it's not too competitive :/
However, will I need a Masters to get into the Magic circles? Like all the big Law firms such as Allen & Overy?

Posted from TSR Mobile
TheMagican
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope you don't mind me asking but what are your AS grades/ universities you are applying to. Essentially put, if with your grades you can have a chance of getting a offer from a top 30 Law school then i would go for a Law degree. But still to your question, yes you can still get a job in Law, graduates for Law firms do not all do Law degrees just do brilliantly at university and I see no reason why not. I am not sure if this is correct but would you not need to do the conversion course? to make your degree a qualifying degree i think you might however ask someone who knows better but it costs quite a substantial amount.
kid_kangaroo
Rep:
I haven't done my A levels yet but in the process of choosing them. I really want to get into Cambridge! For A levels though I'm hoping to do Maths, FM, Ancient History & Economics

I'm not sure if I should do Chemistry & Biology too... :/ But yeah... Hoping to get into Cambridge or Birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (272)
42.24%
The paper was reasonable (267)
41.46%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.01%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.3%

Watched Threads