The Student Room Group

Potential Optometry Students 2016

anyone thinking of applying for optometry (2016)? also what a levels are you guys studdying and has anyone started revising for their AS Exams yet + any good techniques ?

Scroll to see replies

The best technique for revision really depends on the student. Some general tips, though, would be to take notes, create mind maps, and I found that question and answer cards are very handy for memorising things and checking if I know the right answer. Also, I've found that taking regular breaks during revision and trying to get a good night's sleep are helpful.
Reply 2
I am :biggrin: I'm studying maths biology geography history with a view to drop history. Worried I may be disadvantaged as I don't do 3 sciences but it does say 2 on the websites :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Hi

I am looking at Moptom at Man Uni

I currently have one week booked at Tesco Opticians for the summer. I also have 4 hours each week (starting next week) at a local franchise. Here, i can do as much as i want (and hoping it will eventually become paid)

I am also trying to get my primary and secondary school to let me in to help with the science classes.

I have also applied to a council ran youth club, to help with the 8 - 12 year old.

I am waiting to hear back from Royal Voluntary Service about helping out at my local hospital

Finally, i have applied to 3 eye hospitals, again for some unpaid work placement

This OK?
Reply 4
I'm hoping to study Optometry too! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and Critical Thinking. It sucks that there isn't such a wide range of Uni's to apply to as for other subjects! Does anyone know how competitive places are? :smile:
Reply 5
Hi
I'm hoping to apply for Optometry next year.
Currently I study Biology, Chemistry and Psychology - my school only allows students to take 3 A-Levels (AS & A2) :frown:
Original post by AJB123
I'm hoping to study Optometry too! I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths, French and Critical Thinking. It sucks that there isn't such a wide range of Uni's to apply to as for other subjects! Does anyone know how competitive places are? :smile:
wow thats quite a big work load, you know you could simply get into optom at any uni with just bio, chem and maths at AS and A2 level, only i think it may me easier for you to just concentrate on those three subjects. its never too late to drop french and CT. it will save you stress.... just my opinion :smile:
Original post by AJB123
quite competitive but you can get lucky through clearing, my mate got BBD and eventually after many phone calls got into aston. hallelujah
Original post by Moonbaby007
quite competitive but you can get lucky through clearing, my mate got BBD and eventually after many phone calls got into aston. hallelujah

If you look at whichuni! they tell you the % of offers and there are a few around 70% which seems quite high. Basically get the grades and you'll probably be alright

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Azzzman
Hi

I am looking at Moptom at Man Uni

I currently have one week booked at Tesco Opticians for the summer. I also have 4 hours each week (starting next week) at a local franchise. Here, i can do as much as i want (and hoping it will eventually become paid)

I am also trying to get my primary and secondary school to let me in to help with the science classes.

I have also applied to a council ran youth club, to help with the 8 - 12 year old.

I am waiting to hear back from Royal Voluntary Service about helping out at my local hospital

Finally, i have applied to 3 eye hospitals, again for some unpaid work placement

This OK?

Wow! thats more than enough!! btw how did u manage to get work experience ? I've called up n spoken to so many local opticians around the area and they said they dont offer work experience .... :-/
Hello! I got ABBB for AS levels. I'll be waiting for my A-level predicted grades next week. Do you still think I have a chance for optometry? I want to apply to City Uni London and it states that A grades at 'A2' Level are required in two of the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics. For AS I got an A but for bio and chem I got Bs. Do you think it's still possible to go from a B grade in AS to an A grade in A-level? I'm quite disappointed and I really need advice.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
please help me - it would be much appreciated!
Original post by Lovemonkey
Hello! I got ABBB for AS levels. I'll be waiting for my A-level predicted grades next week. Do you still think I have a chance for optometry? I want to apply to City Uni London and it states that A grades at 'A2' Level are required in two of the following subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics or Physics. For AS I got an A but for bio and chem I got Bs. Do you think it's still possible to go from a B grade in AS to an A grade in A-level? I'm quite disappointed and I really need advice.

Thanks

Yeah it is defo possible to go up a grade or 2 . At our school a lot of kids went up and some by 2 grades. I got A B C C so am in a worse position than you ! Am hoping to get in maybe to Cardiff or Manchester but no idea really how hard it will be. Have done lots of work experience though so am hoping!
Reply 13
Original post by AJB123

There was quite a few universities offering Optometry in clearing this year, and I think Aston/Bradford/Herts/Plymouth had the most trouble filling places.

At one point during clearing, Aston lowered their entry requirements for Optometry to BBC.
Original post by Kaeden
There was quite a few universities offering Optometry in clearing this year, and I think Aston/Bradford/Herts/Plymouth had the most trouble filling places.

At one point during clearing, Aston lowered their entry requirements for Optometry to BBC.

Great! That is really encouraging ! Obviously will try to get the top grades but don't want to think that if I don't get them that there's no chance of getting in!
Hi, I'm studying Biology, Chemistry, French and Maths. I've only just decided on optometry I was wondering what made you want to do optometry? Also I don't have any experience working at an opticians (yet) do you think that will put me at a disadvantage?
I wanted to do optometry because bad eyes seem to run in my family! Have had glasses since I was small and optician thought I might never drive, they were so bad! Went thru a phase of thinking I wanted to be dentist but optometry seemed better for me. I have done a lot of work experience so would recommend it - just doorstep them! Or ask friends of your parents if they have any optician friends? Biol and Chem are fine - you only need 2 sciences.
Original post by Markray120
Yeah it is defo possible to go up a grade or 2 . At our school a lot of kids went up and some by 2 grades. I got A B C C so am in a worse position than you ! Am hoping to get in maybe to Cardiff or Manchester but no idea really how hard it will be. Have done lots of work experience though so am hoping!

Hey! Thanks for the reply! I found out recently that my predicted grades are 3As! Hopefully everything should go well this year! I haven't done any optometry work experience, however I did do a couple of health care work experience such as nursing or care homes, pharmacy, charities and etc. My extra-curricular includes D of E, LAMDA drama, volunteering at care homes and libraries etc.

Do you think it should be alright?

I'm not sure what to do for extra reading for optometry! Oh yeah, I only decided to try out for optom around the end of the summer hols.
Work experience sounds fine and your 3 A prediction is good! You could be on track. Maybe talk about your extra curric stuff more than work exp as it sounds good. Reading is difficult - haven't found much! Good luck!
Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest