London

Worth applying?

i want to apply for mathematics with economics
AS: AAB
A2 Predicted: A*AAA
Entry requirements: A*AA
Average ucas points of people who have taken this course is 380-400
17% of applicants receive offers for this course
Although i meet the entry requirements i hear lse is highly competitive, more so than oxbridge. it has the lowest undergrad admission rate in the UK.
so it it worth applying?
i am particulary curious to know what students studying this course at lse got at A2?
Original post by pruthviamin
i want to apply for mathematics with economics
AS: AAB
A2 Predicted: A*AAA
Entry requirements: A*AA
Average ucas points of people who have taken this course is 380-400
17% of applicants receive offers for this course
Although i meet the entry requirements i hear lse is highly competitive, more so than oxbridge. it has the lowest undergrad admission rate in the UK.
so it it worth applying?
i am particulary curious to know what students studying this course at lse got at A2?

If you at least meet the minimum requirements, you have a chance. 378 applied for 31 places in 2013. Do bear in mind their specific requirements with regards to Maths and Further Maths. If you do not meet those requirements, chances are reduced significantly. And, if you meet all the minimum requirements, then your chances go up according to how convincing your PS is regarding your passion for the course, in comparison with your cohort. In short, if you meet the minimum requirements and believe you have a good PS, go for it.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Hey,

I am thinking of applying to LSE for BSc Management and Law. I was attending Imperial College London last year for EEE and I didn't find the course interesting and hence wasn't able to perform well. So currently I am on a gap year. I have a few questions:
1. What are my chances?
2. Is it a good idea to apply to two courses at the same time?
3. Do I need to provide a reference letter? If I do I can get a reference letter from the director of undergraduate studies of EEE at Imperial.

I am an international student.
My IGCSEs were: 4A*s 2As and 3Bs (with A*s in maths, physics, chem, bio. A in urdu and religious studies. B in ICT, english and human bio)

My GCE A'levels grades were: A* in maths and A in physics and chemistry

Please let me know. Thanks! :smile:
A*AA will meet LSE Management and some other courses minimum requirements. I think Law may have other subject combination requirements, being more so a writing subject than Management which also has lots of writing in the course. Language capability is pretty important for both Law and Management so you will need to think carefully if you will be under serious pressure. Seriously, it is not just about the grades. Subject combination is important. And, of course, whether the course is right for you. Your PS will have to be stand out. I don't know about the reference letter. You can enquire with the Admissions Office directly. I don't think it is a good idea to apply both. It actually says you don't know what you want, and if you are not sure, then LSE is unlikely to make you an offer either. Remember, they have lots of candidates to choose from.
Reply 4
Original post by GandalfWhite
A*AA will meet LSE Management and some other courses minimum requirements. I think Law may have other subject combination requirements, being more so a writing subject than Management which also has lots of writing in the course. Language capability is pretty important for both Law and Management so you will need to think carefully if you will be under serious pressure. Seriously, it is not just about the grades. Subject combination is important. And, of course, whether the course is right for you. Your PS will have to be stand out. I don't know about the reference letter. You can enquire with the Admissions Office directly. I don't think it is a good idea to apply both. It actually says you don't know what you want, and if you are not sure, then LSE is unlikely to make you an offer either. Remember, they have lots of candidates to choose from.

Thanks a ton! really appreciate your advice :biggrin: Do you think that the fact that I wasn't successful in completing my first year of EEE at Imperial make a difference to my chances of getting an offer from LSE for BSc Management?
Original post by lub1960
Thanks a ton! really appreciate your advice :biggrin: Do you think that the fact that I wasn't successful in completing my first year of EEE at Imperial make a difference to my chances of getting an offer from LSE for BSc Management?

There are other people who take gap year after discovering they are not suited to the course so it should not count against you. But, then again, you may now need to convince whichever Admissions Officer you now know what you really want. No university want to allocate a place to someone who may drop out again.

Quick Reply

Latest