The Student Room Group

Gcse options help!!!

Hey everyone,
Im 13 and currently choosing my gcse options. so far ive decided to choose History,french,business studies,child development. are these choices good and could i replace business wiith a better subject. also would i be able to get a wide range of jobs with these subject
Reply 1
Original post by Maryam_13
Hey everyone,
Im 13 and currently choosing my gcse options. so far ive decided to choose History,french,business studies,child development. are these choices good and could i replace business wiith a better subject. also would i be able to get a wide range of jobs with these subject

It mainly depends on you, really. You're going to be spending two years on your subjects, followed by an additional two years possibly studying the subjects at a greater level. Rather than choosing the subjects that might give you the most opportunities, I think you should choose the subjects that interest you the most and you might enjoy.

Having said that, Psychology can cover a whole range of areas and could provide different doors of opportunity. I've done 4 years in Psychology for GCSE and IB, and it's been very interesting. If you're looking to change Business Studies, I would suggest looking into Psychology.
Reply 2
Original post by maclauc
It mainly depends on you, really. You're going to be spending two years on your subjects, followed by an additional two years possibly studying the subjects at a greater level. Rather than choosing the subjects that might give you the most opportunities, I think you should choose the subjects that interest you the most and you might enjoy.

Having said that, Psychology can cover a whole range of areas and could provide different doors of opportunity. I've done 4 years in Psychology for GCSE and IB, and it's been very interesting. If you're looking to change Business Studies, I would suggest looking into Psychology.

we dont have sychology in our school
Looks good to me, as long as you have the core subjects: English, Maths, Sciences you will be fine. Having a humanity and a language will also help as universities and employers like to see these. Btw: I am in the same situation as you :u:
Reply 4
Oh wow how old are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maryam_13
Hey everyone,

Whatever you pick make sure you pick subjects you ENJOY. I picked geography, french, graphics, and art for my GCSE options. And I spent two years of my life hating graphics and art, because I never enjoyed them in the first place. I'm now in year 12, and I'm not actually taking any of these subjects. Keep in mind, that in terms of going to uni, and getting a job, it's your A Levels that really matter. Good GCSEs will help you get into a better college or sixth form, and pick the A Level options you want, but that's about it (unless you're looking at oxbridge and need mostly A*s, but that's a different story).
Reply 6
Original post by victoria98
Whatever you pick make sure you pick subjects you ENJOY. I picked geography, french, graphics, and art for my GCSE options. And I spent two years of my life hating graphics and art, because I never enjoyed them in the first place. I'm now in year 12, and I'm not actually taking any of these subjects. Keep in mind, that in terms of going to uni, and getting a job, it's your A Levels that really matter. Good GCSEs will help you get into a better college or sixth form, and pick the A Level options you want, but that's about it (unless you're looking at

Im choosing french,history,maybe business studies and definetly child dvelopment do you think these are good subjects? i have to complete the option form on tuesday this week. and is business good because im not so sure about it. thankyou for your help
If you really enjoy those subjects go for it. As I've said before don't bother with stuff you don't like because if you don't like it now, YOU WON'T EVER LIKE IT!! Depending on what you want to do in the future (what A Levels you want to take, what you want to do at uni, or even if you want to go to uni) those would be pretty good subjects. French is fantastic, especially if you enjoy it. History, from what I've heard from friends, is a difficult subject. But if you enjoy it, then go for it. Business studies is also a good subject, and is actually reasonably easy, again from what my friends have told me. I'm assuming whatever you want to do in the future is related to child development? If that's the case you'll definitely enjoy child development at GCSE. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest