Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    got a problem for you computer geniuses to solve

basically ive got an alrite pc and a real good laptop, both on XP, and wanting to network them.

both detect that they have their own network card

the cable definitely works

yet, when connected they dont recognise each other, even when you run the small office network wizard??

any suggestions as to the problem?

ReputationRep:
    Hit each computer with a baton until it does work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leeroy)
    got a problem for you computer geniuses to solve

basically ive got an alrite pc and a real good laptop, both on XP, and wanting to network them.

both detect that they have their own network card

the cable definitely works

yet, when connected they dont recognise each other, even when you run the small office network wizard??

any suggestions as to the problem?
    oh not the dreaded network, i hate setting up networks its so annoying. try searching google, theres a website somewhere that tells it all.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried pinging them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Hit each computer with a baton until it does work.
    or that

ReputationRep:
    Make sure the IP addresses are in the same range.

i.e PC 1 10.0.0.2
    PC 2 10.0.0.3

Also go into command prompt and type ping (what ever the other machines IP address is)

use IPCONFIG (in command prompt) to find out your PCs IP if you have set it to autodect.

ReputationRep:
    by the way, forget the xp wizard, its shite. i've used it so many times and it never works. make sure you have all teh right protocols and settings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Make sure the IP addresses are in the same range.

i.e PC 1 10.0.0.2
    PC 2 10.0.0.3

Also go into command prompt and type ping (what ever the other machines IP address is)

use IPCONFIG (in command prompt) to find out your PCs IP if you have set it to autodect.
    #

yeeeeeessss :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have a network hub you will need a crossover network cable. You can make them yourself - just google for the term. However, for what it's worth, you may as well get youself a cheap hub and use regular networking cable.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.