How do you memorise bond angles and shapes?

Watch
Nisr123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Some things are pretty easy to memorise, such as formulas or concepts, but I am struggling with memorising bond angles and shapes. Whether you are done with AS Chemistry and were successful in doing so or if you are still in AS like I am and has managed to memorise them already, please let me know your tactics - and any tips for revising chemistry in general would be appreciated. I am always willing to hear how others approach this subject!
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It's just something you have to memorise I'm afraid. When you first come across it it can be quite daunting, but if you constantly go over it then it'll get to a point where it'll come naturally.
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nisr123)
Some things are pretty easy to memorise, such as formulas or concepts, but I am struggling with memorising bond angles and shapes. Whether you are done with AS Chemistry and were successful in doing so or if you are still in AS like I am and has managed to memorise them already, please let me know your tactics - and any tips for revising chemistry in general would be appreciated. I am always willing to hear how others approach this subject!
learn the basic shapes adopted by systems with no lone pairs first.

2 regions of electron density = linear
3 regions of electron density = trigonal planar
4 regions of electron density = tetrahedral
5 regions of electron density = trigonal bipyramidal
6 regions of electron density = octahedral

Then remember that lone pairs are not visible and so the resulting shape of molecule or ion is different.

eg water has four regions of electron density = tetrahedral ELECTRONICALLY
but the lone pairs are invisible so the resultant shape is angular or bent.

Here is an interactive on Shapes of Molecules and ions that may help you
FRizg.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Here is my advise.
If you do not learn this, you will be stuck for the upcoming units.
The angles and shapes are actually suppose to be the 'simple' section. after finishing, you will move on to different types of bonding and you must know the shapes in order to explain each bond.

I think, the best way to learn all this is to draw pictures of each and stick it to your wall.- That's how i do it anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads