More evidence the Royal Family is beneficial to the UK? Watch

Ace123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After British and Chinese relations have soured in recent years through the actions of mainly David Cameron who met the Dalai Lama and China as result cut relations for several months in 2012 and also fierce political criticism of China's human rights record.

China personally invited Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge to visit China for a tour in early 2015. So is this a sign that the Royal family can represent the UK in a better way abroad then politicans could?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...arly-2015.html
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i've always wondered what's the point of a royal family like in general?
Unkempt_One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
'United Kingdom' is cooler than 'Republic of'.
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Another thing a lot of people forget is that the Royal family legally own a huge amount of estate. This estate isn't tied with the crown, it's legally owned by the family. At present, these estates generate a huge amount of income for the UK, tens of millions if I remember correctly. If the Monarchy no longer existed, this estate would become private property and you'd be removing a massive source of income. The Royal family generates a massive amount of income for the UK, much more than they cost to run.
Unkempt_One
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also consider the fact that by evaluating every single thing only in terms of economic worth, you may not have a soul.
aoxa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Unkempt_One)
'United Kingdom' is cooler than 'Republic of'.
If you got rid of the monarchy, you wouldn't necessarily change the name to 'Republic of'.

France and Russia didn't.
tengentoppa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Safiya122)
i've always wondered what's the point of a royal family like in general?
Well obviously the monarch used to be the leader of government, and the power to pass legislation is vested in the king or queen in parliament. As the monarch has gradually lost its power, the pm is now the de facto leader of government and the monarch never refuses to give royal assent.

Unlike France which saw a period of political turmoil in the 18th and 19th century, there has never been any reason for the UK to do away with the royal family and create a republic.

Having the queen as head of state rather than an elected leader allows for the fusion of executive and legislative power which is a key strength of our political system.

As well as ceremonial and procedural functions, the royal family also acts in an ambassadorial role and it is claimed that it brings in tourism, though that point is debated.

So the honest reason for the royal family is the historical heritage and constitutional convention. With the current queen knowing her place and keeping her mouth shut and doing what she is told, this has never been a problem. But Charles has claimed he will be more outspoken, which might bring about a constitutional crisis, and we may well see the creation of the republic. In my eyes that would be a shame. Our system works well.
tengentoppa
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aoxa)
If you got rid of the monarchy, you wouldn't necessarily change the name to 'Republic of'.

France and Russia didn't.
France is officially the French Republic, and Russia is officially the Russian Federation. It's just shortened to avoid the hassle.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Harry loves his weed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.34%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.61%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.49%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (35)
14.34%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (30)
12.3%
How can I be the best version of myself? (73)
29.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise