The Student Room Group

Beautiful people with ugly personalities

Have you ever met someone whom you think, "wow! (s)he's gorgeous!", and after knowing their personalities, which is quite ugly, have turned your perceptions towards them south.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lustawny
I can imagine that being the case for a lot of people. I've always been under the impression that for a loving relationship to actually be a successful one, you've got to be attracted to both their physical appearance and their personality.

Have you met one? How was it?
Reply 2
I have come across "babes" who turn out to be a bit spiteful. Usually you can suss it pretty quickly. I do think that the attractive set probably get a bit of a morale and personality lift due to the good luck of having looks which make life easier.
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
I have come across "babes" who turn out to be a bit spiteful.

What happened?
Yep, met quite a few. I also think that it's interesting to note that initially, most people subconsciously consider good-looking people to be more intelligent and nice, it's a psychological phenomenon known as the Halo Effect.
Reply 5
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Yep, met quite a few. I also think that it's interesting to note that initially, most people subconsciously consider good-looking people to be more intelligent and nice, it's a psychological phenomenon known as the Halo Effect.

What were your reactions after knowing their actual personalities?

Owh? Didn't know there's a term for it!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by kka25
What happened?

Nothing much, either they diss me I hear them being spiteful about other people. I don't tend to spend too much time worrying about them. I have met loads of really pretty girls with delightful personalities. I do notice though that they tend, understandably, to have a touch of arrogance associated with knowing their appeal.
I don't think there's much of a correlation with looks, in all honesty! :redface: You get nasty people on various scales of attractiveness. I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of people you meet have some levels of nastiness, regardless of their appearance. :sad:
Original post by kka25
What was your reactions after knowing their actual personalities?

Owh? Didn't know there's a term for it!

Well needless to say that they never became a lasting part of my friendship group. To be honest though, the majority of people I've come across with horrid personalities haven't been particularly attractive.
Original post by Maid Marian
I don't think there's much of a correlation with looks, in all honesty! :redface: You get nasty people on various scales of attractiveness. I'd go so far as to say that the vast majority of people you meet have some levels of nastiness, regardless of their appearance. :sad:

Are you going through a misanthropy phase?
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Are you going through a misanthropy phase?

What's a misanthropy phase?
What's a misanthropy phase?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanthropy

Oh! Ummm. Maybe a little? I don't have much faith or trust in humans anymore :colondollar: Wouldn't say I hate everybody just for being human, though. :giggle:

I wouldn't have said that was true - most people are capable of being nasty, but that doesn't mean that most people are nasty :h:

I'd agree that there's not much correlation with looks though.
Original post by shadowdweller
I wouldn't have said that was true - most people are capable of being nasty, but that doesn't mean that most people are nasty :h:

I'd agree that there's not much correlation with looks though.

That's what I meant, Shadyyy :tongue:
Sometimes yeah, they can either be quite rude or just fairly dull, a shame really.
Reply 16
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

I know, I hate the halo effect:angry:
Yeah but I still wanna **** her lol
Original post by lustawny
Never heard of the Halo effect before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect
Definitely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending