The Student Room Group

1st year nursing to medicine?

Hi,

So basically my flatmate has decided that nursing isn't for him, and he'd like to convert to medicine.

Is this possible? If so how?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by R Dragon
Hi,

So basically my flatmate has decided that nursing isn't for him, and he'd like to convert to medicine.

Is this possible? If so how?

Thanks.

He would have to either drop out and apply for Medicine (looks pretty bad) or finish Nursing and apply for Graduate Entry then (if Graduate Entry still exists/is still affordable at that point).
Original post by Ronove
He would have to either drop out and apply for Medicine (looks pretty bad) or finish Nursing and apply for Graduate Entry then (if Graduate Entry still exists/is still affordable at that point).

I just went with him to book his train ticket for tomorrow so he's taking the dropping out route :/

He has pretty good academia but he said he doesn't wonna be stuck doing something he doesn't like~
Reply 3
Original post by R Dragon
I just went with him to book his train ticket for tomorrow so he's taking the dropping out route :/

He has pretty good academia but he said he doesn't wonna be stuck doing something he doesn't like~

He might have difficulty getting into Medicine directly after dropping out, but if he does a lot of research (including asking individual med schools) he might be able to find some who won't judge it too harshly.

He could always find another degree to do if Medicine doesn't work out right now, and then apply for GEM later (again, if it's still an option at that point). He really needs to pick something that will lead to a job he'll enjoy and/or something that leads to a job where he can pick up shifts fairly flexibly while doing Medicine later, as that opens up the option of doing regular non-GEM Medicine because of the greater financial stability.
Original post by Ronove
He might have difficulty getting into Medicine directly after dropping out, but if he does a lot of research (including asking individual med schools) he might be able to find some who won't judge it too harshly.

He could always find another degree to do if Medicine doesn't work out right now, and then apply for GEM later (again, if it's still an option at that point). He really needs to pick something that will lead to a job he'll enjoy and/or something that leads to a job where he can pick up shifts fairly flexibly while doing Medicine later, as that opens up the option of doing regular non-GEM Medicine because of the greater financial stability.

Hi dude,

Thanks for your help :smile:

I talked about it with him in depth yesterday, and he decided to drop out and apply for a normal nursing course (currently doing mental nursing) He said he'd much rather work as a normal/adult nurse than a mental health nurse. And he'll see if he's able to do a medicine degree later on~

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending