The Student Room Group

Should I tell a potential employer I still have a job?

I am considering applying for a job in the finance industry, after having worked in statistical analysis research for 2 years. However I am still employed by my current company, I haven't mentioned anything as I was more interested in finding out things like benefits, pay, etc of the new job before I commit.

I tried to Google it but I can't seem to find anything on these things and so the only thing I could think of was applying and seeing if I get offered the job and then see what they have to offer. However on the application they want me to write any previous employment with the date I left my job.

I have a few questions:

1) Would they take my application as seriously if I haven't left my current job and the industry is pretty different?

2) If I was just to email asking about all these things, would they be obliged to answer and again, would that affect my application, should I decide to apply?

Thanks
i'm sure they would understand if you still have a current job because obviously you haven't been accepted by the new company (just yet) and i don't think it would
Original post by claret_n_blue
I am considering applying for a job in the finance industry, after having worked in statistical analysis research for 2 years. However I am still employed by my current company, I haven't mentioned anything as I was more interested in finding out things like benefits, pay, etc of the new job before I commit.

I tried to Google it but I can't seem to find anything on these things and so the only thing I could think of was applying and seeing if I get offered the job and then see what they have to offer. However on the application they want me to write any previous employment with the date I left my job.

I have a few questions:

1) Would they take my application as seriously if I haven't left my current job and the industry is pretty different?

2) If I was just to email asking about all these things, would they be obliged to answer and again, would that affect my application, should I decide to apply?

Thanks

Why wouldn't you want to mention your current job? What are you going to tell them you're doing instead - that you're unemployed? In which case they will want to know what you did last, why you left, etc - which is going to take you into lying territory. In addition, those applying for a job from another job always have an advantage over those with no job - the prospective employer knows you are (presumably) desirable to your current employer and good at your job. The fact you aren't currently in finance may be a problem from a skills perspective - but that would be true whether or not you mentioned your current job - but in terms of wanting to change industry, there's no shame in that and I doubt any prospective employer would have an issue with you basically calling their industry desirable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending