rayquaza17
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I need to show:[triangle is del operator]
\bigtriangledown \cdot \bigtriangledown f(r)=f''+\frac{2}{r}f'
where r=|r|, r=(x,y,z), and f(r) is a twice differentiable scalar function with f'=df/dr, f''=d^2f/dr^2

So I was thinking I could write this as (\bigtriangledown \cdot \bigtriangledown )f(r)=\bigtriangleup f(r) [other triangle is the laplace operator], but then how could I work out:
\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}f(r)?

I know that:
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}f(r)=\frac{\mathrm{df} }{\mathrm{dr} }\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{\mathrm{df} }{\mathrm{dr} }\frac{x}{r}.

Basically: am I correct to rewrite the LHS as I did on the 4th line of text, and how could I then work out the second partial derivative below it?

Thanks in advance.
Hodor
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rayquaza17)
Basically: am I correct to rewrite the LHS as I did on the 4th line of text?
Yes, I think so.

and how could I then work out the second partial derivative below?
Product rule, and use the chain rule to differentiate f'(r).
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hodor)
Yes, I think so.

Product rule, and use the chain rule to differentiate f'(r).
Thank you very much.
TeeEm
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I need to show:[triangle is del operator]
\bigtriangledown \cdot \bigtriangledown f(r)=f''+\frac{2}{r}f'
where r=|r|, r=(x,y,z), and f(r) is a twice differentiable scalar function with f'=df/dr, f''=d^2f/dr^2

So I was thinking I could write this as (\bigtriangledown \cdot \bigtriangledown )f(r)=\bigtriangleup f(r) [other triangle is the laplace operator], but then how could I work out:
\frac{\partial^2 }{\partial x^2}f(r)?

I know that:
\frac{\partial }{\partial x}f(r)=\frac{\mathrm{df} }{\mathrm{dr} }\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{\mathrm{df} }{\mathrm{dr} }\frac{x}{r}.

Basically: am I correct to rewrite the LHS as I did on the 4th line of text, and how could I then work out the second partial derivative below it?

Thanks in advance.

painful...

these types of questions usually have tricks which cut the work out, but I can never see them...

the question can be found on the link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._operators.pdf

page 13
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
(Original post by TeeEm)
painful...

these types of questions usually have tricks which cut the work out, but I can never see them...

the question can be found on the link

http://madasmaths.com/archive/maths_..._operators.pdf

page 13
Much appreciated.

I used this to check my answer, and I'm so glad that I got it right after spending close to 2 hours trying to do this!

prsom

<3 <3 <3
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Much appreciated.

I used this to check my answer, and I'm so glad that I got it right after spending close to 2 hours trying to do this!

prsom

<3 <3 <3
I am glad you found it useful.
Very long and tidious.
(I remember when I wrote the solution it also took me ages, this question a good test for concentration)
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TeeEm)
There are analogues to the chain and product rules that you can use with the del operator. The problem is that it takes a fair bit of experience to know which analogues are valid and which aren't. (I used to be able to do this easily, but it's 20 years since I had exams in this and I struggle a bit now...)

Anyhow, here's my proof:

\nabla f(r) = f'(r) \nabla r (chain rule analogue for del)

= f'(r) \frac{\bf{r}}{r} = \dfrac{f'(r)}{r} {\bf {r}} (*) (from knowing \nabla r = \frac{\bf{r}}{r} which you really should know.)

\nabla.\nabla f(r) = \left(\nabla \dfrac{f'(r)}{r}\right). {\bf {r}}+ \dfrac{f'(r)}{r} (\nabla.{\bf {r}}) (product rule analogue for del)

Now f'(r) / r is a function of r, so we can reapply the result from (*) to say:

\nabla \dfrac{f'(r)}{r} = \left(\dfrac{d}{dr}\dfrac{f'(r)}{r} \right) \frac{\bf{r}}{r} = \left(\dfrac{f''(r)}{r} - \dfrac{f'(r)}{r^2} \right)  \frac{\bf{r}}{r}

and so \left(\nabla \dfrac{f'(r)}{r}\right). {\bf {r}} = \left(\dfrac{f''(r)}{r} - \dfrac{f'(r)}{r^2} \right)  \dfrac{\bf{r.r}}{r}

= r \left(\dfrac{f''(r)}{r} - \dfrac{f'(r)}{r^2} \right) = f''(r) - f'(r) / r (**)

Meanwhile, \nabla.{\bf r} = 3 (again, something you should know!), so

\dfrac{f'(r)}{r} (\nabla.{\bf {r}}) = 3 f'(r) / r (***)

Adding (**) and (***) gives the desired result.
TeeEm
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
There are analogues to the chain and product rules that you can use with the del operator. The problem is that it takes a fair bit of experience to know which analogues are valid and which aren't. (I used to be able to do this easily, but it's 20 years since I had exams in this and I struggle a bit now...)

Anyhow, here's my proof:

= f'(r) \frac{\bf{r}}{r} = \dfrac{f'(r)}{r} {\bf {r}} (*) (from knowing \nabla r = \frac{\bf{r}}{r} which you really should know.)

\nabla.\nabla f(r) = \left(\nabla \dfrac{f'(r)}{r}\right). {\bf {r}}+ \dfrac{f'(r)}{r} (\nabla.{\bf {r}}) (product rule analogue for del)

\nabla \dfrac{f'(r)}{r} = \left(\dfrac{d}{dr}\dfrac{f'(r)}{r} \right) \frac{\bf{r}}{r} = \left(\dfrac{f''(r)}{r} - \dfrac{f'(r)}{r^2} \right)  \frac{\bf{r}}{r}

and so \left(\nabla \dfrac{f'(r)}{r}\right). {\bf {r}} = \left(\dfrac{f''(r)}{r} - \dfrac{f'(r)}{r^2} \right)  \dfrac{\bf{r.r}}{r}

= r \left(\dfrac{f''(r)}{r} - \dfrac{f'(r)}{r^2} \right) = f''(r) - f'(r) / r (**)

I am grateful for your time.

As I mentioned to Rayquaza there are shortcuts for all these operators which like yourself I did a long time ago (longer in my case).
Unfortunately I have forgotten most of this material and my efforts to remember often hit a brick wall. (Brain stalls and that is it)

I will look at your proof when my brain "feels better" and I hope that I can follow it.
rayquaza17
Rep:
?
(Original post by DFranklin)

Anyhow, here's my proof:

Thank you for taking the time to post this.

I am going to give this a proper look through this weekend.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (29)
13.62%
I need help researching courses (14)
6.57%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.23%
I need help with my personal statement (89)
41.78%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (52)
24.41%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (4)
1.88%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads