The Student Room Group

Referencing?

Hi, I've just finished writing a Politics essay, and I'm a bit bemused about the referencing. Sounds stupid, I know. I've referenced my quotes/sources by adding footnotes and noting the author, book, page number, and a webpage to go with (e.g PDF of the book), is that all I need to do?

Is there any specific protocol or referencing database style thing?

Cheers :smile:
**** references.

That is all I have to say.

What was your essay on?

Edit: Actually I can help in a lazy way. Below is the reference part of my dissertation thing.

References
[1] WolframAlpha. (n.d.). Methane. Retrieved 05 May 2014 from https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=methane
[2] Brazhkin, V.V. & Trachenko, K. (2012). What separates a liquid from a gas? Physics Today 65(11), 68; doi: 10.1063/PT.3.1796
[3] Frenkel, J. Kinetic theory of liquids (1955). pp.v-vii, pp.162-187 New York: Dover Publications
[4] Bolmatov, D., Brazhkin, V.V. & Trachenko, K. (2012). The phonon theory of thermodynamics. Sci. Rep. 2, 421; doi:10.1038/srep0042. References contained within
[5] Bolmatov, D., Brazhkin, V.V. & Trachenko, K. (2012). The phonon theory of thermodynamics. Sci. Rep. 2, 421; doi:10.1038/srep0042

Dunno whether that helps. But references are the worse! I could never remember how to do them. It always took me ages and I always left them to do at the last minute.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Burridge
Hi, I've just finished writing a Politics essay, and I'm a bit bemused about the referencing. Sounds stupid, I know. I've referenced my quotes/sources by adding footnotes and noting the author, book, page number, and a webpage to go with (e.g PDF of the book), is that all I need to do?

Is there any specific protocol or referencing database style thing?

Cheers :smile:

If your using footnotes you need the book publication details e.g. year of publication, location and publisher as well the first time you reference a book, journal article similar but instead journal it was from and volume and page numbers.

See this guide
https://student.unsw.edu.au/footnote-bibliography-or-oxford-referencing-system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending