Burridge
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I've just finished writing a Politics essay, and I'm a bit bemused about the referencing. Sounds stupid, I know. I've referenced my quotes/sources by adding footnotes and noting the author, book, page number, and a webpage to go with (e.g PDF of the book), is that all I need to do?

Is there any specific protocol or referencing database style thing?

Cheers
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
**** references.

That is all I have to say.

What was your essay on?

Edit: Actually I can help in a lazy way. Below is the reference part of my dissertation thing.

References
[1] WolframAlpha. (n.d.). Methane. Retrieved 05 May 2014 from https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=methane
[2] Brazhkin, V.V. & Trachenko, K. (2012). What separates a liquid from a gas? Physics Today 65(11), 68; doi: 10.1063/PT.3.1796
[3] Frenkel, J. Kinetic theory of liquids (1955). pp.v-vii, pp.162-187 New York: Dover Publications
[4] Bolmatov, D., Brazhkin, V.V. & Trachenko, K. (2012). The phonon theory of thermodynamics. Sci. Rep. 2, 421; doi:10.1038/srep0042. References contained within
[5] Bolmatov, D., Brazhkin, V.V. & Trachenko, K. (2012). The phonon theory of thermodynamics. Sci. Rep. 2, 421; doi:10.1038/srep0042

Dunno whether that helps. But references are the worse! I could never remember how to do them. It always took me ages and I always left them to do at the last minute.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Burridge)
Hi, I've just finished writing a Politics essay, and I'm a bit bemused about the referencing. Sounds stupid, I know. I've referenced my quotes/sources by adding footnotes and noting the author, book, page number, and a webpage to go with (e.g PDF of the book), is that all I need to do?

Is there any specific protocol or referencing database style thing?

Cheers
If your using footnotes you need the book publication details e.g. year of publication, location and publisher as well the first time you reference a book, journal article similar but instead journal it was from and volume and page numbers.

See this guide
https://student.unsw.edu.au/footnote...rencing-system
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads