Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone know anything about Berlusconi and Italian TV? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I do AS Italian and my oral exam is next friday. I have done a draft on Italian TV but my teacher wants me to write more, especially on Berlusconi's (the Italian Prime Minister) influence on Italian television. I know that he owns a few TV networks and can therefore, use it to his advantage. However, that's all I know really.

If anyone is able to help, then I'll post some of the example questions I may be asked during my Oral exam. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I thought he owned them all or something? Post the questions anyway, someone might know!

ReputationRep:
    Berlusconi: Git.
    Italian TV: Owned by a git.

ReputationRep:
    he practically owns the Italian media. I looked it up on Google and found this article which gives a reasonable rundown of his rise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3034600.stm

hope it helps, dearyxxx

ReputationRep:
    this may help more:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1077560.htm
    -it's more related to his media control
    if you look on the media guardian webiste, search in the archive's and you'll get at least one article-i remember looking at it last year

ReputationRep:
    OK, my teacher has given me a sheet of the questions in Italian but I'll translate it:

1. Do the television networks tend to have an identity? Do they seem to address a particular type of audience? Do they have a political identity?

2. What influence does politics have on the network RAI?

3. Do you believe it's right to control the national television networks? Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    OK, my teacher has given me a sheet of the questions in Italian but I'll translate it:

1. Do the television networks tend to have an identity? Do they seem to address a particular type of audience? Do they have a political identity?

2. What influence does politics have on the network RAI?

3. Do you believe it's right to control the national television networks? Why?
    im afraid i cant really answer the 1st two questions with any informed answer.

in response to the 3rd question, i think it's awful and immoral. to have a government controlled media means that you are not necessarily being told the truth as it's self-regulated and so complaints, i would imagine, would be dismissed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    im afraid i cant really answer the 1st two questions with any informed answer.

in response to the 3rd question, i think it's awful and immoral. to have a government controlled media means that you are not necessarily being told the truth as it's self-regulated and so complaints, i would imagine, would be dismissed.
    Thanks.

I guess the influence that politics has on RAI may be similar to that of the BBC as I was discussing it with my teacher on Friday (ie.the Hutton enquiry etc...). Do you happen to know how the government uses the BBC and whether it is aimed towards the general public?

ReputationRep:
    answering the third question...

Today it is the media that effectively has ultimate influence over society. One could say they play a constitutional role in keeping the government 'in check'. In the case of Italy, there is at least an appearance of bias; it could be argued that there is a real danger of bias. This is unacceptable in state where the role of the media, while on the periphery of the constitution, plays a central role in regulating it. To fuse constitutional power in such a way (ie. the government owning the very media that should 'regulate' the actions of that government) is clearly unacceptable in a democratic society.

Not exactly a coherent or developed argument, I know, but I'm in a rush. Hope it's a starting point for you. Hope you can translate, too! (Or at least know the website for babelfish!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    Thanks.

I guess the influence that politics has on RAI may be similar to that of the BBC as I was discussing it with my teacher on Friday (ie.the Hutton enquiry etc...). Do you happen to know how the government uses the BBC and whether it is aimed towards the general public?
    am i right in saying that rai is the main italian tv station? the control the italian government (i.e berlusconi) has over the rai is completely different to the relationship between the BBC and the uk government. the uk government can and will lean on the bbc if they believe it steps out of line. in the case of the hutton report, the government wanted big BBC heads to roll and the BBC board decided that it would comply to the government and that it must be the big head. that's why there was such an outcry-the falseness behind the iraq dossier was revelaed by the bbc in the belief that it was reporting what they belived (due to proof) to be true.

the government can lean on the BBC and make suggestions but do not (to my knowldge) at this moment have any direct control over the BBC. it's regulated by Ofcom-an independent company. the rai is self-regulated and it results in a bias in the news. if the iraq dossier situaion had arisen in italy, well, it wouldnt have done. this webiste i just looke at (http://www.ketupa.net/berlusconi.htm) said that '82% of Italians depend only on television for news'. if anything had been leaked to an italian tv reporter, it is highly unlikely that it would have ever been aired.

sorry-ive waffled on a fair bit-i hope you can get some sense from this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muncrun)
    answering the third question...

Today it is the ...can translate, too! (Or at least know the website for babelfish!)
    babelfish?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I can translate most of it but will need the dictionary for some words! I got an Italian-speaking friend online anyways so I should be alright.

Babelfish is a translator created by Altavista. Very useful for translating between many different languages.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.