Edinburgh or Glasgow for English Lit/History

Watch
roomofherown
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi everyone, I was hoping to get some advise from any current/former/applying students from either Glasgow or Edinburgh Uni about what the universities are like, and what English Lit and History is like at them too if you study either. I've been to both open days and I have a favourite in mind, but any student insights would be wonderful too. I suppose it would also be worth mentioning that I got AAAA in my AS results (I'm an English student) and I have predictions of A*A*A*. I also already have an offer from Glasgow (AAB). Thanks in advance!

(I should probably mention that I don't know how to add two universities to this question, so I just added Edinburgh and I'm making a similar one under Glasgow.)
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
don't they have student quotes on the university websites?
gorillaz_gal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I study history at Edinburgh and I have to say it's my favourite course (my outside subject haven't been half as enjoyable.)

The course is well organised with plenty of variety, the student support are helpful, the lecturers I have had so far are very good and clearly passionate for their course.

The Uni itself is fantastic; lot of opportunities, support and social events and great facilities. I've enjoyed my experience far more than I thought.

Glasgow had been my first choice, however, after attending both open days I found that Edinburgh had a more comfortable and welcoming atmosphere to it and presented more opportunities and courses that interested me.

I hope that helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okorange
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Edinburgh is really well known for English Lit, that's all I can add.
bayernmunich
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I go to Edinburgh and my girlfriend goes to Glasgow, we both prefer Edinburgh as a city and in general the university is regarded as better. I ended up choosing Edinburgh over Glasgow over the fact that I found the staff (albeit administrative) at Glasgow rude, unhelpful, unfriendly and stuck up. This was based off my interaction with several people there in person, on the phone and through email. Petty reason looking back now, but at the time I was frustrated enough at my school for not sending my grades to Glasgow that their unhelpfulness compared to every other university really peeved me off. That being said Glasgow seems to have some facilities Edinburgh doesn't and vice versa. She has to do English Lit as a compulsory module at Glasgow (she's studying English Language) and doesn't have anything good to say about it. She says it's boring and the lecturers aren't enthusiastic or engaging. She has liked her other courses though. I don't know anyone at Edinburgh doing English Lit but a friend doing history constantly complains of the work load. Hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (135)
28.6%
No - I have already returned home (63)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (93)
19.7%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (45)
9.53%
No - I live at home during term anyway (136)
28.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise