Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Those of you at Uni, are most of your friends people who you've met in

a) your lectures etc.
    b) in your accomodation
    c) at pubs/clubs etc?

Im doing Physics at Uni and some of the people Ive seen also doing the subject are enough to make me physically sick. Id like to think that I wont have to be making friends with the kind of people Ive seen at Physics open days and I keep telling myself that I can just make friends with the people in the same halls as me etc.. but is this actually a common occurance?!?

ReputationRep:
    definately in your accomodation.

in order:

1) in accomodation
    2) in pubs/clubs
    3) in lectures

(but this is in my opinion and might not be the same for everyone)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    definately in your accomodation.
    Thank f**k for that - I'm doing an 80-90% male course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    Thank f**k for that - I'm doing an 80-90% male course.
    Yeh exactly! Ive seen a total of 6 girls on the Physics open days Ive been to, and I must of seen well of 150 guys. I wouldnt normally care, but theyre total GOONERS. The last open day I went to the group I was with kept talking about explosions and blowing up bins :/

ReputationRep:
    1)Lectures

Haven't met any friends in clubs/pubs and live at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Yeh exactly! Ive seen a total of 6 girls on the Physics open days Ive been to, and I must of seen well of 150 guys. I wouldnt normally care, but theyre total GOONERS. The last open day I went to the group I was with kept talking about explosions and blowing up bins :/
    I'm hoping to get away from all that, sounds like a lot of people in my Physics/Maths group, who I spend at least 10 hours a week with and have for 2 years. I need some sanity. And women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpollodiablouk)
    I'm hoping to get away from all that, sounds like a lot of people in my Physics/Maths group, who I spend at least 10 hours a week with and have for 2 years. I need some sanity. And women
    Yeh same for me, theres 11 people in my Physics group, and 1 girl. All of them are total cocks except the girl and 1 guy im good mates with.

ReputationRep:
    Join the Yoga Society. Plenty of girls and they'll think you're great because you dared to go!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the friends I've made have been a freind of a friend that ive met in bars or just hanging around uni with other people I know.

Apart from that I've met most friends in the order

Subject
    Accommodation
    Socities
    Bars / clubs

But thats probably becuase im not really the clubbing sort of person - for some reason I find it hard to make new friends when the music is too loud to speak to them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Join the Yoga Society. Plenty of girls and they'll think you're great because you dared to go!
    Or think you're gay...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh same for me, theres 11 people in my Physics group, and 1 girl. All of them are total cocks except the girl and 1 guy im good mates with.
    Yeah, I get on with most of them - there's 1 girl in each group (not the same one), and I get on with a couple of the lads but only in small amounts. It gets way too much sometimes, I need a bit of a change. A couple of them are off to Bristol with me tho.... I'm friends with one of them but the other one irritates me - I wont stay in touch with him though, and I'll have a new circle of friends, I don't want to stay stuck in the past. The handful of people I do want to keep in contact with aren't going anywhere near me

ReputationRep:
    Or think you're gay...
    especially with the lycra stockings on....

ReputationRep:
    Or think you're gay...
    Hey, I've done yoga. I'm more or less not gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    Hey, I've done yoga. I'm more or less not gay.
    ...excellent

ReputationRep:
    i hate subjects that are just pure geek. unlucky for me im doing computer science and there is literally like 1 girl on the course (that i saw at open day). I am not gonna judge people without speaking to them obviously, but many of them looked like geeks. i certainly do not classify myself as a geek, and they p*ss me off so much, thinking they are funny with geeky computer jokes.

ReputationRep:
    I get that in my Physics lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    i hate subjects that are just pure geek. unlucky for me im doing computer science and there is literally like 1 girl on the course (that i saw at open day). I am not gonna judge people without speaking to them obviously, but many of them looked like geeks. i certainly do not classify myself as a geek, and they p*ss me off so much, thinking they are funny with geeky computer jokes.
    This is really reassuring to hear, I thought I was the only one thinking this way. I absolutely hate geeks as well and pretty much everything about them makes me cringe. I also prefer not to judge people just by looks - but when you hear people talking about making explosives and blowing up bins 'for fun' its kind of hard to even have the urge to try and get to know them.

ReputationRep:
    Being a medic I guess it's a bit different because we spend so much time with each other - plus of course the whole bonding-around-the-dissection-table thing.

My closest friends are the medics at my college.

Followed by other Clareites

Followed by non-Clare medics, and friends from societies.

Then a few randoms. Generally if I meet people in clubs etc, they'll be my best friends for one night and then I wouldn't recognise them again.

ReputationRep:
    This is really reassuring to hear, I thought I was the only one thinking this way. I absolutely hate geeks as well and pretty much everything about them makes me cringe. I also prefer not to judge people just by looks - but when you hear people talking about making explosives and blowing up bins 'for fun' its kind of hard to even have the urge to try and get to know them.
    yeah i totally agree. it sounds bad, but when i walk into a room i can immediately tell who the geeks are, not so much by the way they look, but what they wear. I will never judge someone on what they look like but usually a crap geek joke will confirm my suspisions. luckily goin into a college based system most of my mates will come from the college, and they all seemed sound when i went to the open day.

my computer set at school is a joke, and whats worse when i make a point of insulting there crap jokes, they turn round in there little geek pack (i am the only non geek) and try and insult me with crap insults. Then they laugh, and i feel like punching them in the face. as soon as they get out the classroom they know they got nothing on me, but i cant do anything in the classroom cus no non-geeks are there to back me up.

when i try and take the piss, they just turn round in the geek pack and one of them cracks a sh.t joke.

i cant have a repeat of this at uni. hopefully there will be at least a few non-geeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy_b)
    yeah i totally agree. it sounds bad, but when i walk into a room i can immediately tell who the geeks are, not so much by the way they look, but what they wear. I will never judge someone on what they look like but usually a crap geek joke will confirm my suspisions. luckily goin into a college based system most of my mates will come from the college, and they all seemed sound when i went to the open day.

my computer set at school is a joke, and whats worse when i make a point of insulting there crap jokes, they turn round in there little geek pack (i am the only non geek) and try and insult me with crap insults. Then they laugh, and i feel like punching them in the face. as soon as they get out the classroom they know they got nothing on me, but i cant do anything in the classroom cus no non-geeks are there to back me up.

when i try and take the piss, they just turn round in the geek pack and one of them cracks a sh.t joke.

i cant have a repeat of this at uni. hopefully there will be at least a few non-geeks.
    Oh my god you have no idea how f***** similar this is to my typical Physics/Maths lessons. I just spend the whole lesson ripping into the unfunny cocks and they always cry so hard and try and comeback with some extremely poor joke/insult which doesnt even warrant a reply, I just shake my head and turn around.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.