Wrong A-Level courses for Uni problem?

Watch
Tyler1409
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi, I'm a first year A-Level student and I'm thinking about doing an economics degree. However after looking on UCAS I've discovered that most courses require A-Level mathematics. The problem is I'm not taking that course. I'm doing Economics, Geography, Statistics and English Language. Its most likely to late too pick up another course now, so I'm not sure what to do, any ideas guys?
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you could pick one up as an AS next year? and i mean economics and statistics is kinda maths related
Tyler1409
Rep:
?
Yeah I was thinking that, but do you reckon Uni's would still accept?
H0PEL3SS
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Tyler1409)
Hi, I'm a first year A-Level student and I'm thinking about doing an economics degree. However after looking on UCAS I've discovered that most courses require A-Level mathematics. The problem is I'm not taking that course. I'm doing Economics, Geography, Statistics and English Language. Its most likely to late too pick up another course now, so I'm not sure what to do, any ideas guys?
Taking maths next year would not put you in good stead when applying to uni, especially for the top ones. I recommend doing maths now, either externally, or changing your courses, probably statistics.
Tyler1409
Rep:
?
Wouldn't it be too late to change courses now though? :confused:
someone you know
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Could always do a foundation year, loads of unis offer it and it basically consists of a year catching up with everything you would have needed at a-level before gaining guaranteed entry to the full course. It's only a year extra so you should definitely consider it.
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Wouldn't it be too late to change courses now though? :confused:
Usually, yes, but with maths it can be easier than other subjects. This could just be my bias, but if you're willing to put the effort in, then you should be okay with the maths, as most schools have only just started to finish C1, which is basically an extension of GCSE. What was your GCSE maths grade?
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
AS maths would definitely put you in a better position than no maths at all, if you wanted to try picking up the AS in year 13
Tyler1409
Rep:
?
(Original post by H0PEL3SS)
Usually, yes, but with maths it can be easier than other subjects. This could just be my bias, but if you're willing to put the effort in, then you should be okay with the maths, as most schools have only just started to finish C1, which is basically an extension of GCSE. What was your GCSE maths grade?
I got a grade A, Edexcel syllabus, do you reckon this will be okay? If so, I might see if I can do the course at college. Thanks for your help by the way.
aoxa
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a grade A, Edexcel syllabus, do you reckon this will be okay? If so, I might see if I can do the course at college. Thanks for your help by the way.
I did edexcel and had no problem going to C1 - the only new thing in C1 is differentiation and integration - apart from that, it's just a recap of GCSE
H0PEL3SS
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
That should be enough. CGP revision guides, examsolutions.net, and even GCSE further maths textbooks would be very useful in helping you master C1.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (365)
56.15%
I don't have everything I need (285)
43.85%

Watched Threads