Social psychology ideas?? Watch

Spacegem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all , newbie here so be gentle ☺️
Please can someone help??
i am a first year undergraduate and we have a social psychology essay due soon and I need to create an essay question to explore social psychology. I was thinking to do non verbal communication but what question??
Feeling really out of my depth at Uni and can't even think of a topic/question I'm doomed 😱 a nice calming influence would be great right now haha
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thinking of topics is one of the most difficult things to do I find! I'm doing my MSc now and I still hate it. Once you have a question it seems easier somehow, it's working out the specific question that causes so much stress sometimes!

Some things you could consider related to non-verbal communication could be:

Are infants predisposed for social interaction? Looking at things which could be thought of as social behaviours in infants (e.g. smiling, crying, imitation, preference for human faces etc etc - all sorts of non-verbal communication!) - e.g. the evidence in support of these 'social' behaviours or whether they are just reflexes or involuntary actions
Looking at the importance of pre-linguistic communication between adults/infants
Evidence for and against different theories of language aquisition
Critiquing theories about the development of discourse/narrative skills (e.g. perspective-taking, fantasy/imaginative play, pre-reading and pre-writing skills etc etc)
Is language aquistion innate?

Hope that helps a little bit
Spacegem
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi thanks for your reply,
I thought I had sent one back but it must not of gone. You made it sound so easy hope I get to that point! ☺️
Thank you
I was also looking at conformity I don't suppose you have any ideas for questions to do with that do you??
Hopefully I will start to think in the 'Uni' way but it does not feel that way when you first start does it 😣
Liv1204
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Spacegem)
Hi thanks for your reply,
I thought I had sent one back but it must not of gone. You made it sound so easy hope I get to that point! ☺️
Thank you
I was also looking at conformity I don't suppose you have any ideas for questions to do with that do you??
Hopefully I will start to think in the 'Uni' way but it does not feel that way when you first start does it 😣
You're welcome. The only reason it might have sounded easy for me is because I've already done modules on Social Psychology, Developmental Psychology and Advanced Developmental Psychology through my undergrad degree, so I just had a think about the topics we covered!

You will start to think in the 'uni' way. You've got lots of time - you're only a few months in, it's such early days still at the moment. I tend to start with narrowing ideas down just by looking at Google Scholar, key words for the general topics I'm interested in, have a look through some papers that sound interesting, and the discussion, future research, conclusion etc sections often have some useful ideas, conclusions that you could critique, etc.

For conformity, how about something along the lines of...:

Conformity and peer pressure in adolescences? (You could look at things like social identity, peer groups, developmental trends in peer conformity, things like that)
Differences in conformity between different groups - e.g. gender differences, individual/personality differences, culture
Comparing and contrasting different theories of conformity

What are your thoughts so far?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (73)
7.82%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.79%