Turn on thread page Beta

What's Your Biggest Language Learning Problem? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering which aspects of learning languages different people find hardest or most frustrating.

If you could just wave a magic wand and get rid of any language learning issue, which one would you pick? Which part of learning a language could you use the most help with? Is there a tool or service you wish existed?

For me, it would be:

• Keeping my languages up post-uni
    • Remembering the genders of words
    • Making learning them a priority (there's always something more important or pressing!)
    • Daring to speak them
    • Remembering exceptions to rules (French!)
    • Focusing on communication rather than perfection

ReputationRep:
    Interesting thread topic I'm definitely with you on genders!

- Vocabulary. I find vocab lists really dull and, unlike grammar, vocabulary learning is infinite as even in your native language, no one knows all the words.

- Accent. I'd love to sound more native and often get tired of being asked where I'm from. Plus In Dutch my accent's so bad people sometimes struggle to understand me :cry2: So an online pronunication-corrector or something would be really helpful.

- Mixing languages up - even when they're not particularly similar! The other day I asked a French girl at a house party if she wanted a lime (un citron vert) in her drink, but used the German word (eine Limette) instead! :facepalm: Another time I asked my Austrian boyfriend if he needed a stamp (Briefmarke) but used the Dutch word (Postzegel). So I'm often met with blank looks of miscomprehension

ReputationRep:
    Ooo good thread!!

For me it's definitely got to be vocab lists. Not even kanji (which are easy enough to learn just takes a while). But because there are only 5 vowel endings in Japanese everything sounds so similar and I get everything muddled - very frustrating.

Also a close second is actually getting the courage up to talk to people in it

ReputationRep:
    Vocab - so dull to learn!
    Genders - when you're learning 3 languages, it's hard to remember which word is what gender
    Cases - in German, it fries me
    Mixing languages up - big one for me, more so Spanish & Italian
    Accent
    Having confidence to actually speak the language with foreigners in their own language instead of relying on English
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    - Making mistakes + doubting myself

Yeah... I think that I should try to be less afraid of making mistakes. It stop me from wasting so much time when I'm thinking about what to say or write!
    + In lessons (mostly in Chinese) I think of one thing... It's right and then I immediately say something else because I'm usually not too sure of myself!

- Listening.

It can be difficult and sometimes a little easier at times but still. :eek: The person's accent can be very strong or they can be talking very quickly so it's difficult to understand.

I'm slowly getting better though! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Yeh i find readings hard in spanish as i can't make sense of the sentence due to lack of knowledge of the vital vocab!

ReputationRep:
    Listening for sure! A ton of Brits tends to mumble, and then I'm forced to ask them to repeat over and over again and I feel terrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ange de la nuit)
    I'm wondering which aspects of learning languages different people find hardest or most frustrating.

If you could just wave a magic wand and get rid of any language learning issue, which one would you pick? Which part of learning a language could you use the most help with? Is there a tool or service you wish existed?

For me, it would be:

• Keeping my languages up post-uni
    • Remembering the genders of words
    • Making learning them a priority (there's always something more important or pressing!)
    • Daring to speak them
    • Remembering exceptions to rules (French!)
    • Focusing on communication rather than perfection
    Very interesting thread topic!
    As a learner of two languages (German and Polish), I often find it very hard to find time to practice speaking both, as there are very few people with whom I can practice!
    I grew up speaking Polish and kind of just... forgot everything as I got older. As a result I've never learnt grammar and I'm often left getting things VERY wrong when I speak Polish. I learnt German from scratch at school so it's arguably been a lot easier, although the grammar still presents its challenges (especially when remembering the case and word order of every word in every sentence :rolleyes:)
    I am a lot more willing to speak German to people than I am with Polish; I know SO many native Polish speakers whom I just HAVE to talk English with because I'm just too embarrassed to practice my shabby Polish! It's a vicious cycle really.....
    Ultimately I'm better at German because I've actually learnt the language rather than just spoken it here and there growing up like I have with Polish!

ReputationRep:
    Great topic!
    Mine would be
    -Grammar - I absolutely hate grammar and conjugating words, it's annoying and different in every language so I sometime keep mixing it all up.
    -Separating languages - because I am fluent in English, Portuguese and Italian, and I'm currently learning Spanish, I find it annoying that I keep randomly saying words in the wrong language, specially as these languages all have similar aspects, it is very frustrating when you randomly pop in a word in a different language, or you use a grammatical rule of a different language...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate that I can't roll my 'R' when speaking. Swedish sounds so much better with it.

Also grammar usually stops me from sounding native.

ReputationRep:
    Sticking at it, because for me, if I'm not conversational within a few days I get annoyed :lol:

Mixing up Italian and Spanish.

Using one language's rule for another.

Being scared to speak it with people, although I rarely ever get the chance.

ReputationRep:
    Grammar! :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    Grammar for English, Spelling for my native language, Accents and genders for French. (seriously, why does a table need to be a male or was it female?) and finally for Brit, English, pronounciation and some word difference (gosh, why can't I just say ze-bra not zeb-ra?)

ReputationRep:
    Pronunciation problems and lack of confidence to speak in French.

ReputationRep:
    Getting so good at it that I end up having to correct locals on their grammar.
    Ugh, #bilingualproblems lol

ReputationRep:
    Memorising vocab. I can pick up vocab quite easily in context, even in lessons if we do some speaking/writing or something, but when I get given a vocab list I don't know where to start

And cases, in German. I know (pretty much) when to use each case, but I can never remember the articles or endings

ReputationRep:
    i'm currently studying French and Danish, used to study German in high school as well.

for Danish, it is 100% the pronunciation. been studying a year and a half now, and still struggle with simple words!

German was definitely all the grammar when i did it, especially cases. i got the hang of 2 or even 3 words for "the" but German had about 7!

French is usually verb endings, or which past tense to use. don't understand relative pronouns either... also writing french literature essays. no idea how to revise for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellzz)
    i'm currently studying French and Danish, used to study German in high school as well.

for Danish, it is 100% the pronunciation. been studying a year and a half now, and still struggle with simple words!

German was definitely all the grammar when i did it, especially cases. i got the hang of 2 or even 3 words for "the" but German had about 7!

French is usually verb endings, or which past tense to use. don't understand relative pronouns either... also writing french literature essays. no idea how to revise for them
    Which relative pronouns do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellzz)

Danish pronunciation is ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    I do German at A2:

1. Cases (My brain literally melts)
    2. Not being able to remember adjective endings, e.g. Indefinite Article, Accusative, Neuter, wouldn't know where to start without grammar tables
    3. Sentence Starters and Connectives. I always use the same thing over and over again.

I'm fine with making mistakes and I'm decent at pronunciation and I think I'm a fairly confident speaker but getting grammar right especially in essays is a constant struggle

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.