4 Similar A-Level Subjects Watch

FayeNads
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am a current year 11 student. I aspire to become a solicitor in the future and all the subjects I want to do in A-Level are similar.
I want to do History,Classical Civilisation separate English Language and English Literature. Would Universities like my choices?

Classical Civ and History are both history based and doing both English makes it look like I haven't varied the subjects I want to do...
Chlorophile
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FayeNads)
Hi, I am a current year 11 student. I aspire to become a solicitor in the future and all the subjects I want to do in A-Level are similar.
I want to do History,Classical Civilisation separate English Language and English Literature. Would Universities like my choices?

Classical Civ and History are both history based and doing both English makes it look like I haven't varied the subjects I want to do...
Sounds like a good combination to me! If you enjoy them, looks great.
The Legal Eagle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FayeNads)

Hi!

Currently, it sounds good! History and Lang are really good subjects, and are well regarded. Lit not so much, and Classic Civ, I don't really know, sadly.
Have you considered any other subjects? Politics and economics (if available) are looked at well, and are in the same 'level' as English Lit (not that you shouldn't do Lit, but for comparison).
You'd probably be fine, and they sound like good subjects for Law at Uni. You may find it helpful to do an 'active' subject, like Economics, Law or Politics as Law, by it's nature, is very active and the developed skills would help, but it's not a necessity.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Legal Eagle)
Hi!

Currently, it sounds good! History and Lang are really good subjects, and are well regarded. Lit not so much, and Classic Civ, I don't really know, sadly.
Have you considered any other subjects? Politics and economics (if available) are looked at well, and are in the same 'level' as English Lit (not that you shouldn't do Lit, but for comparison).
You'd probably be fine, and they sound like good subjects for Law at Uni. You may find it helpful to do an 'active' subject, like Economics, Law or Politics as Law, by it's nature, is very active and the developed skills would help, but it's not a necessity.
I was under the impression Lit was more regarded than lang...
Amzzyy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is Lit not more regarded than Lang...?
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by crayolaguy)
I was under the impression Lit was more regarded than lang...

is combined as in one alevel
perflous
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The commenter that said Lang is more highly regarded than Lit is wrong. English Literature is more highly regarded. It's not the best idea to do both Language and Literature, so drop Language and replace it with something like Politics, perhaps? Classics and History are both fine, Classics is regarded as being a 'hard' subject and so there's no issue with that. English Lit, Classics, History and Politics would make a good subject combination and the subjects would complement each other nicely - I do Lit, History and Politics and find that History and Politics help each other; my friend doing Lit, Classics and History says that the skills we develop in English really help with Classics.

Hope that helps!
The Legal Eagle
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amzzyy)
Is Lit not more regarded than Lang...?
I was told Lang was better than Lit, by an old English teacher. I was just going by what I was told, despite how wrong it may be.
crayolaguy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by sophiamarni)
is combined as in one alevel
that makes absolutely no sense to me what you've said.
AnnaSmart
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did Class Civ, English lit, Politics and History at AS level and dropped Politics for A2. There should be no issue with you doing such similar subjects as long as you're sure that's what you want to do. I don't know anything about training to be a solicitor but you might want to check some courses to see if there are any which require other subjects. Overall, if they're the subjects that you love I really wouldn't worry about it. One thing to mention it that doing English lit and lang at AS is fine but if you keep them both for A2 and aren't planning on studying English at university then that looks a bit odd (that's just what i was told when i was considering my choices), you could always look into doing combined lit and lang and choosing a different 4th subject. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

P.S. As far as I know, lit is usually regarded as better than lang by universities.
sophiamarni
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by crayolaguy)
that makes absolutely no sense to me what you've said.
sorry it was 6am and i was tired what i wanted to say was is lit and lang as a combined alevel ok
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads