The Student Room Group

TWExtent does a Queen Mary undergrad degree limit me compared to a top 10 uni?

As the title said, let's say I'm a student graduating from a Queen Mary Business Management Course, on my way to obtaining a first or high 2:1;

and I want to pursue a masters in a reputable, top ranked university. London Business School, LSE, or a similar equivalent, perhaps outside the UK.

To what extent does graduating from Queen Mary, which is part of Russel Group and University of London, but has considerably lower rankings that other universities such as imperial/lse/king's college affect me when applying for a master's degree position at top unis?

Additionally, would you consider attempting to transfer to a higher ranked university (such as King's College) a good idea, even if it meant repeating the second year I'm currently on?

Thanks in advance for the answers, I'm quite worried that even after putting significant effort into a high grade I may hit a barrier when applying for a masters.
if you reach a first from QMUL (and possibly a high 2:1) together with some relevant experience, anything is possible: LSE, Imperial, Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick.
It will also depend on what master you will apply to.
As a general note, don't worry too much with university ranking and reputation, do your best in your current degree, try to gain relevant exp: internship, student society etc and you are likely to reach your goal.
Reply 2
Thank you for the answer, I'm applying to internships but I'll look into relevant business-related societies as well.

As a relevant follow up as I don't want to make another thread, how do you think a couple quite bad grades in my first year would affect me?

I wasn't the person I am now and while I did get mostly firsts and 2:1's in courses I liked, I have something like a 2:2 on 2-3 courses in my first year that also messed up my year 1 average.

The first year is only 10% of the final grade so average-wise it won't make a difference, but since one applies before getting 3rd year grades, how does having those bad grades on the first year affect me?

In the end it doesn't affect my course of action as I should just look forward and keep trying my best, but it would make me feel more at peace to know how that affects me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending