The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
crana
Agree with you that you don't have to get water, but say you reacted HCl with NaOH in some kind of non-aqueous-but-polar solvent. Would water be produced when the H+ and OH- ions combine? I don't see how water being the solvent is relevant other than the acid/base won't ionise unless it's in water or a similar solvent........but then again i am rather crap at chemistry......so if you would explain it that would make me vrey happy

rosie

There are at least three different theories about acids and bases as far as I know. In Arrhenius Theory, an acid is defined to something that produces H3O+ ions in aq solutions while a base produces OH- ions. It is usually taught in early stages and I think it is what you mentioned. In Lewis Theory, an acid accepts electrons while a base donates electrons. In Bronsted-Lowry Theory, an acid donates protons and a base accepts protons. At upper levels, Lewis Theory and Bronsted-Lowry Theory will be introduced. However, it seems to me that the latter is more widely used than the former.

According to the different theories, the definition of neutralisation varies.
Reply 21
keisiuho
There are at least three different theories about acids and bases as far as I know. In Arrhenius Theory, an acid is defined to something that produces H3O+ ions in aq solutions while a base produces OH- ions. It is usually taught in early stages and I think it is what you mentioned. In Lewis Theory, an acid accepts electrons while a base donates electrons. In Bronsted-Lowry Theory, an acid donates protons and a base accepts protons. At upper levels, Lewis Theory and Bronsted-Lowry Theory will be introduced. However, it seems to me that the latter is more widely used than the former.

According to the different theories, the definition of neutralisation varies.

How dare you! You used that word!!! That word has become the hell of my life since I started doing some degree level Chemistry! Everywhere you look it stares you in the face!
Reply 22
chrisbphd
How dare you! You used that word!!! That word has become the hell of my life since I started doing some degree level Chemistry! Everywhere you look it stares you in the face!

Really? I've just done a first year of a chem degree and have come across it a few times but not enough to make everything hell...
Reply 23
Chicken
Really? I've just done a first year of a chem degree and have come across it a few times but not enough to make everything hell...

I was only joking about it making everything hell. The Arrhenius equation, or at least the word Arrhenius has appeared so far in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology! You can't escape it!
Reply 24
I remember a couple of weeks ago in a science test I had been up till 4 the night before and was really tired and spent half an hour looking for ammonia on the periodic table, I was that tired. But then I remembered it was NH3.
Reply 25
chrisbphd

NatSci getting to you, is it? :tongue:

ahh the joys of doing a single subject :relax:
elpaw
NatSci getting to you, is it? :tongue:

ahh the joys of doing a single subject :relax:

Glad to see you arent swearing at us any longer elpaw, even though it was polish.

Latest

Trending

Trending