Which A-Levels for Media in University?

Watch
tomjay31
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I'm hoping to study media at university, and would like to know what courses I should study in sixth form.

My English teacher recommended:
  • Film Studies
  • English
  • Psychology and/or Sociology
  • An art subject like graphics

Are there others I should take instead? What are you studying (or what did you study)?

Edit: If possible I'd also like to continue with my Spanish studies. Doesn't a language also look good on a university application form?
JessicaLucy09
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
film studies!

This may give you an idea of what it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_studies
actuallycath
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I am wanting to take Media at Uni. My mum is a Senior Lecturer at a University teaching a Media course and she said that it doesn't really matter what subjects you take, as long as you take one of the English's. Some Universities look for Media Studies aswell, it depends on where you want to go. (I take Media Studies, English Liturature, Maths and Economics)
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you mean a course such as Media and Communication, or will it be one with a creative/filming aspect beside it? How much theory/practical is in the course will change the importance of certain subjects.

I take Media Studies at A-level, and based on the content in that, I would personally recommend Media Studies, Sociology, English, and Art Graphics/Photography.

But provided you have English, and a reasonably creative subject behind you, you should be okay. Again depending on the course, but media relies more on the non-academic side of things you do.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (154)
4.92%
Uncertainty around my education (461)
14.72%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (350)
11.17%
Lack of purpose or motivation (436)
13.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (148)
4.73%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6%
Loneliness (270)
8.62%
Financial worries (113)
3.61%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (126)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (142)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (171)
5.46%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (278)
8.88%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (295)
9.42%

Watched Threads