bethabbott
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Wonder if anyone can help,

I've just started doing 40 markers for A2 AQA Geography and for my first two I've gotten 20/40... I asked my teacher what was the highest score someone got last year in the exam and the highest was 26! Is there any help and advice that others can give as to how I can improve, as I'm a perfectionist and want to do as well as I can for my exams.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya! I noticed that you haven't received a response yet. You may have better luck over in the Geography forum. You can find it here. Good luck!
johnabdul
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bethabbott)
Wonder if anyone can help,

I've just started doing 40 markers for A2 AQA Geography and for my first two I've gotten 20/40... I asked my teacher what was the highest score someone got last year in the exam and the highest was 26! Is there any help and advice that others can give as to how I can improve, as I'm a perfectionist and want to do as well as I can for my exams.
For the 40 marker after you've learnt everything go on the internet a few weeks before the exam and learn a few updated facts about each topic. This demonstrates wider reading and the examiner will just go crazy with excitement. The structure of the 40 marker should be: introduction(starting with a definition in most cases). Dont take too long with the intro it should provide a small opening for your essay. Then absolutely go crazy in the main body discussing, analysing, evaluating, comparing, contrasting case studies in relation to the question. I don't know if this is allowed yet but last summers 40 marker question was something on the lines of, ' Technology is best at reducing the impacts of an earthquake, Do you agree?' So i remember talking about l'aquila and kashmir from the CGP books writing all the details and relating it to the question after each paragraph. Then to get higher marks you should evaluate whether the strategies done by l'aquila and kashmir worked or not, THEN SUGGEST BETTER STRATEGIES- if you do this then your 'thinking like a geographer.'=A**** Finish with nice and concise conclusion, and suggest improvements or plans for the future that should occur.

Overall i got an a* in geography 120/120 in unit 3.
bethabbott
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by johnabdul)
For the 40 marker after you've learnt everything go on the internet a few weeks before the exam and learn a few updated facts about each topic. This demonstrates wider reading and the examiner will just go crazy with excitement. The structure of the 40 marker should be: introduction(starting with a definition in most cases). Dont take too long with the intro it should provide a small opening for your essay. Then absolutely go crazy in the main body discussing, analysing, evaluating, comparing, contrasting case studies in relation to the question. I don't know if this is allowed yet but last summers 40 marker question was something on the lines of, ' Technology is best at reducing the impacts of an earthquake, Do you agree?' So i remember talking about l'aquila and kashmir from the CGP books writing all the details and relating it to the question after each paragraph. Then to get higher marks you should evaluate whether the strategies done by l'aquila and kashmir worked or not, THEN SUGGEST BETTER STRATEGIES- if you do this then your 'thinking like a geographer.'=A**** Finish with nice and concise conclusion, and suggest improvements or plans for the future that should occur.

Overall i got an a* in geography 120/120 in unit 3.

Ahhh this is so helpful! Thank you, repped because I was that impressed... I've just done 3 40 markers in 2 weeks and managed 20 in 2 of them (the other one is currently being marked, how exciting) and apparently my synopticity wasn't very good... Is that the overall link to other topics? One of my main teachers (I have two and they taught World Cities together, others doing Tectonics and other is doing globalisation) absolutely hates me and just doesn't give me any advice and the other is a NQT so can be a bit dominated by the class. Trying to get higher than 20 is an absolute ballache haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?