The Student Room Group

Ferguson Trial: Justice served, or not?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by citydeer
I get your point. However, you can't view government statistics as accurate - there is a chance more black people are arrested/charged for crimes because of the systematic racism.
Secondly, it's only partly about the amount of black youths killed by police, however, the main issue is the amount of police officers who get away with killing black youths - Wilson isn't even facing a trail.

Also "black racism against black people" makes no sense. What is going on in Ferguson now isn't riots, it's not mindless crime. It's a protest against an unjust system.

More blacks are also CONVICTED of crimes as well is the whole judicial systems and all the jurors racist too?

Black seem to commit more crime most likely due to poorer socio-economic backrounds. Remember, black people were treated as second classs citizens and were lucky if they got any employment. While currently racism does exist, it doesn't exist to the extent all these race baiters want it too.
Original post by crozibear96
I don't care what race Michael Brown was, what age he was or what he had done prior to the shooting. I don't care what race Darren Wilson is, or whether or not he is racist or was acting in self-defense. I'm on neither side as to whether Wilson is innocent or a murderer, but I will never support Wilson due to the fact that he fired 6 shots at an unarmed 18 year old.

If this was self-defense, 6 shots were extremely unnecessary and Wilson clearly panicked. A police officer should not panic in a situation like that, as it could happen as much as daily or weekly (depending on the area) so, in my opinion, if Wilson acted in self-defense then he shouldn't really be a police officer at all. I don't know if that's just how the Missouri police are trained (to be trigger happy when attacked) or just a Wilson thing, but it's completely and totally messed up.

And why is that? Why is 6 shots unnecessary? Guns don't kill instantly like in the movies- someone may be killed instantly and some may survive many shots to the head, torso and legs. It depends on shot placement which isn't a big concern when you're about to be charged by a 6"4' 18 year old. Furthermore, Wilson did not know that the first shot (in the head) killed Brown, and to make sure the threat to his life was no longer a threat he kept shooting until Brown was on the ground. If someone attacks me, and I had a gun, I'd shoot them until they fall down dead. Wilson was absoulely within his power to shoot Brown as many times as it took.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jemner01
Or it's because black people cause more crime due to socio-economic factors like poverty, poor healthcare and poor education. I'm not saying blacks are poor, or of ill health or uneducated, I'm saying these are the factors that cause more crime and these factors may or may not be the ones creating the higher crime rates of black people. I can and will view Government stats as representative, not because I trust the government but because they're the only possible accurate stats because the Govt collates all the information about crime and analyses it for its own purposes.

If black people were the targets of white crime (suggesting a systematic targeting of black people) then the crime rates for white-on-black would be higher than black-on-white, as well as higher than black-on-black. As it stands, they're the opposite. Black people are responsible for the crime against other black people, not whites or Latinos or Asians.

Burning shops, looting, destroying stores and buildings, assaulting police officers and disrupting traffic is rioting in every sense of the word. Americans have the right to legally, peacefully protest. What is happening in Ferguson isn't peaceful, it's destructive.

If you believe all statistics then go for it - however remember all statistics and data gathered have a motive behind them, and somebody paying for it, who often want it to turn out a certain way.

Also, the protests in Ferguson were peaceful, until the police involved the military - which lead to them becoming more violent. However, the violence was begun by the armed military involvement. Also, if you look at other more violent protests and riots (which were mostly involving white people) you will see that the military weren't bought in. About a month ago people started riots in SanFran (i think) because their sports team didn't win, and there was no military involvement. However, when a black community fight against an unjust system military and tear gas is involved.
And why is that? Why is 6 shots unnecessary? Guns don't kill instantly like in the movies- someone may be killed instantly and some may survive many shots to the head, torso and legs. It depends on shot placement which isn't a big concern when you're about to be charged by a 6"4' 18 year old. Furthermore, Wilson did not know that the first shot (in the head) killed Brown, and to make sure the threat to his life was no longer a threat he kept shooting until Brown was on the ground. If someone attacks me, and I had a gun, I'd shoot them until they fall down dead. Wilson was absoulely within his power to shoot Brown as many times as it took.

Police should be professional with guns, no matter what the situation. Not acting like they're a 12 year old on Call of Duty.
If you believe all statistics then go for it - however remember all statistics and data gathered have a motive behind them, and somebody paying for it, who often want it to turn out a certain way.

Also, the protests in Ferguson were peaceful, until the police involved the military - which lead to them becoming more violent. However, the violence was begun by the armed military involvement. Also, if you look at other more violent protests and riots (which were mostly involving white people) you will see that the military weren't bought in. About a month ago people started riots in SanFran (i think) because their sports team didn't win, and there was no military involvement. However, when a black community fight against an unjust system military and tear gas is involved.

The military were called in to prevent the violence that was expected to happen from escalating beyond the capabilities of the police force. The presence of military is not the cause of violence- the military don't make people violent all of a sudden, the "protesters" (read: looters, thugs and anger-driven lawbreakers) had to make the active choice, one by one, to commit a crime like arson or theft of property.

The military weren't brought into a sports team loss because the local police force don't expect mass rioting over a team losing a game. they do expect crime to go up- hence why police are usually in large numbers at large sports events, regardless of the colour of the people involved. The military were brought into Ferguson because it was expected that protests would turn violent by merit of the extreme amounts of anger these people feel about the truth.

Response to Crozi: it's rich that a British woman looks down on trained American police officers and pretends they understand how firearms work and what effects the situation can have on the effectiveness of using a firearm. Training on a range is much different than being in a situation where you've been attacked, you're about to be attacked again and you have less than a few seconds to make the decision to fire, aim then fire and expect perfect head-shots like "Call of Duty". I don't know the Ferguson police dept's exact training guidelines, but I can tell you that the majority of American officers are trained to shoot to kill when their lives are in danger. You've also dodged the question of why 6 shots is unnecessary relative to lethal force.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Falcatas
More blacks are also CONVICTED of crimes as well is the whole judicial systems and all the jurors racist too?

Black seem to commit more crime most likely due to poorer socio-economic backrounds. Remember, black people were treated as second classs citizens and were lucky if they got any employment. While currently racism does exist, it doesn't exist to the extent all these race baiters want it too.

Yes I am suggesting that the justice system is systematically racist - and there is plenty of evidence to show this. And yes socio-economic background does have an influence on this. However, so does institutionalised racism.
People don't want racism to exist to the extent that it does - however it does exist like that, people are not making it up. When it comes to racism the only people who can really say to what extent it exists are those who experience it - black people and other ethnic minorities. White people have no place to say that racism no longer exists or to what extent it does because it does not effect them.
Original post by Pegasus2
Seriously how old are you? I don't want to be to blunt if your not that old then I could understand but how did you get from facial injuries to life thretening? Of course they wern't.

What made it life thretening was Brown's attempt to grab the firearm whilst attacking him through the car window (Wilson states he didn't want to get hit again incase he went unconcious) and approching the officer afterwards with previous and proven hostile intent after disobeying orders to put his hands up.

We don't know about the last bit but there are a couple of videos on youtube of american cops being overpower by suspecs and nearly being killed with their own guns. In one case and through some massive miricle the gun jams when the perp tries to shoot the cop with it.

What we do know is that Brown was shot in the FRONT and from close range. Wilson says brown charged him, Witness evidence is unreliable.

My age doesn't have any to do with this, how old are you?
People have said Wilson had to right to kill Brown as he felt his life was in danger, however, his injuries really dont show anything near this level of violence.
That again is a disputed fact, and none of the evidence is clear. People choosing to side with Wilson are choosing to side with a racist system, and with oppression.
The fact is none of the evidence is clear, and this case should have gone to court. The fact it didn't shows the racism and unjust system.
Yes I am suggesting that the justice system is systematically racist - and there is plenty of evidence to show this. And yes socio-economic background does have an influence on this. However, so does institutionalised racism.
People don't want racism to exist to the extent that it does - however it does exist like that, people are not making it up. When it comes to racism the only people who can really say to what extent it exists are those who experience it - black people and other ethnic minorities. White people have no place to say that racism no longer exists or to what extent it does because it does not effect them.

You're cracking me up. More white people are the victim of black rapes, assaults and homicides than black people at the hands of whites. If your grounds for "proving" racism is to show white people are responsible for attacking black people for being black, then you've got a long way to go because as it stands more black people are responsible for attacking white people in the USA. You're essentially saying white people being attacked by black people is not racism and white people shouldn't be worried about being attacked by black people, but black people being attacked by white people is racism and black people should be worried about being attacked by white people. Glaring double standards don't help your cries of racism, they hinder them.
The military were called in to prevent the violence that was expected to happen from escalating beyond the capabilities of the police force. The presence of military is not the cause of violence- the military don't make people violent all of a sudden, the "protesters" (read: looters, thugs and anger-driven lawbreakers) had to make the active choice, one by one, to commit a crime like arson or theft of property.

The military weren't brought into a sports team loss because the local police force don't expect mass rioting over a team losing a game. they do expect crime to go up- hence why police are usually in large numbers at large sports events, regardless of the colour of the people involved. The military were brought into Ferguson because it was expected that protests would turn violent by merit of the extreme amounts of anger these people feel about the truth.

Response to Crozi: it's rich that a British woman looks down on trained American police officers and pretends they understand how firearms work and what effects the situation can have on the effectiveness of using a firearm. Training on a range is much different than being in a situation where you've been attacked, you're about to be attacked again and you have less than a few seconds to make the decision to fire, aim then fire and expect perfect head-shots like "Call of Duty". I don't know the Ferguson police dept's exact training guidelines, but I can tell you that the majority of American officers are trained to shoot to kill when their lives are in danger. You've also dodged the question of why 6 shots is unnecessary relative to lethal force.

My point was that many riots - equal to what is happening in Ferguson have not involved police. To begin with Police started the violence and force - the fact that they created a no-fly zone above Ferguson to keep out media shows that what was happening was not what they said happened.

Also, assuming people are 'rich British women' who 'pretend they understand how firearms work' doesn't help your argument.
How can justice be served when Wilson didn't even get put on a real trail after murdering somebody?

that's because he didn't murder anyone :confused::confused:
You're cracking me up. More white people are the victim of black rapes, assaults and homicides than black people at the hands of whites. If your grounds for "proving" racism is to show white people are responsible for attacking black people for being black, then you've got a long way to go because as it stands more black people are responsible for attacking white people in the USA. You're essentially saying white people being attacked by black people is not racism and white people shouldn't be worried about being attacked by black people, but black people being attacked by white people is racism and black people should be worried about being attacked by white people. Glaring double standards don't help your cries of racism, they hinder them.

More often than not, black on white crime is not racism, black supremism has been so demonized by the media that it never gathered much momentum. Black on white crime is normally down to financial affairs, whereas white on black crime is normally racist because on average white people are richer than black people in America

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dodgypirate
that's because he didn't murder anyone :confused::confused:

He shot somebody six times. I'm pretty sure that would count as murder.
Also, saying he didn't murder anybody is difficult considering he hasn't been put on trail.
Complete Joke ...The first shot was self defence, he then turned and ran and the officer fired 5 more shots, 2 of them head shots and its not even going to trial?
He shot somebody six times. I'm pretty sure that would count as murder.
Also, saying he didn't murder anybody is difficult considering he hasn't been put on trail.

There was no evidence that it was cold-blooded murder ... hence why the grand jury decided to not charge him :smile:

It's not just about crimes committed by certain races, its crimes and injustices that are based upon race - thats what racism is.
The fact is more ethnic minorities are stopped and searched (for no real reason) than white people. Also the amount of black youths who have been killed by cops and the case hasn't been resolved/gone to trail is shocking.
I'm not saying all crimes against ethnic minorities are to do with race, however, the trends show that the justice system is institutionally racist.
Original post by Dodgypirate
There was no evidence that it was cold-blooded murder ... hence why the grand jury decided to not charge him :smile:

I never said it was cold-blooded murder, it would actually be second degree murder.
The fact is, the Grand Jury weren't trailing on if to charge him or not, they were deciding if there was enough evidence for the case to go to trail, which there was. The fact that Wilson didn't even face any charges is shocking.
Reply 196
I never said it was cold-blooded murder, it would actually be second degree murder.
The fact is, the Grand Jury weren't trailing on if to charge him or not, they were deciding if there was enough evidence for the case to go to trail, which there was. The fact that Wilson didn't even face any charges is shocking.

did you read any articles on the evidence etc? it's pretty convincing and i would guess that is the main reason the case has not gone to trial.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/crucial-pieces-evidence-ferguson-grand-jury/story?id=27163048

also did anyone see the stepfather shouting
'burn this b*** down, burn this m*** f*** down?'

was anyone else hoping someone would start playing this really loud?

My point was that many riots - equal to what is happening in Ferguson have not involved police. To begin with Police started the violence and force - the fact that they created a no-fly zone above Ferguson to keep out media shows that what was happening was not what they said happened.

Also, assuming people are 'rich British women' who 'pretend they understand how firearms work' doesn't help your argument.

Quotes are all over the place so this will be messy.

The police did not start the violence- they prepared for it. the police did not loot general stores- the protesters did. The police did not set fires- the protesters did. The protesters only have their own actions to blame for the outcome of their rioting.

I said that it was rich (informal: highly amusing) that a was British woman was condemning a trained American police officer about how he used a firearm when he was in danger. Because it is.

As for the other post about racism- show me the stats on minorities being stopped more often than whites and I'll listen. I've already explained how more black people are killed by cops because, statistically, more black people commit crime and therefore warrant necessary lethal force in the eyes of the law. The trends show black people commit more crime than white people, are responsible for more crime against white people than any other minority and have a staggeringly high rate of crime against their own skin colour. The stats show this. The stats don't show "institutionalised racism". Back up your claims with stats/case studies and I'll take your points into consideration.

WISElad: There's no proof to suggest that black crime rates on white people is because* white people on average are richer and only the wealth gap is to blame for black crime, whereas white crime rates on black people are the result of racism and only racism. To call black-on-white crime not racism but white-on-black crime racism simply by merit of skin colour approaches actual racism and is definitely a double standard.

* I'm not denying the average white person earns a higher wage than the average black person. I'm saying that you saying black poorness is why they attack white people is silly and sidesteps the fact that the black person committed the crime in the first place. We shouldn't apologise for crime because of ethnic or financial background. A crime is a crime.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tibis
did you read any articles on the evidence etc? it's pretty convincing and i would guess that is the main reason the case has not gone to trial.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/crucial-pieces-evidence-ferguson-grand-jury/story?id=27163048

I have read all the evidence and lots are articles, the fact is only 0.0004% of cases fail to indict, the evidence for this case was not clear at all, there are many contradictory pieces of evidence - further reason this should have gone to trail.
Quotes are all over the place so this will be messy.

The police did not start the violence- they prepared for it. the police did not loot general stores- the protesters did. The police did not set fires- the protesters did. The protesters only have their own actions to blame for the outcome of their rioting.

I said that it was rich (informal: highly amusing) that a was British woman was condemning a trained American police officer about how he used a firearm when he was in danger. Because it is.

As for the other post about racism- show me the stats on minorities being stopped more often than whites and I'll listen. I've already explained how more black people are killed by cops because, statistically, more black people commit crime and therefore warrant necessary lethal force in the eyes of the law. The trends show black people commit more crime than white people, are responsible for more crime against white people than any other minority and have a staggeringly high rate of crime against their own skin colour. The stats show this. The stats don't show "institutionalised racism". Back up your claims with stats/case studies and I'll take your points into consideration.

WISElad: There's no proof to suggest that black crime rates on white people is because* white people on average are richer and only the wealth gap is to blame for black crime, whereas white crime rates on black people are the result of racism and only racism. To call black-on-white crime not racism but white-on-black crime racism simply by merit of skin colour approaches actual racism and is definitely a double standard.

* I'm not denying the average white person earns a higher wage than the average black person. I'm saying that you saying black poorness is why they attack white people is silly and sidesteps the fact that the black person committed the crime in the first place. We shouldn't apologise for crime because of ethnic or financial background. A crime is a crime.

We aren't going to agree about the protests, but i would suggest you read more than just the story presented by the main stream media.

Sorry i misread you there! However, no matter how trained a person is misuse of a firearm is still misuse of a firearm. Six shots were unnecessary, anybody with any idea of self defence would be able to see this.

I don't have any statistics on hand, however, you can look at several cases where white men have murdered more than one person (several mass shootings, mass murderers etc.) and have gone into custody alive. When you compare that with the amount of innocent (or committers of small petty crimes) black/ethnic minorities who have been killed.

Also, I've said it before but it isnt just about the fact Brown was killed, but the fact that the case hasn't even gone to trail - how can that be called justice, when the opportunity for justice was never given.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending