The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Ask a current student thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi Guys, I'm a current second year student so thought I would try and answer some of these as well.

Original post by Optimist_Prime
Do you have a common room or any shared space in your accommodation other than the kitchen?

Original post by KiwiMonkey96
not in the actual accommodation block no, but there is a common room area at the reception. I suppose one of the downsides to the accommodation at Surrey that there isn't any sort of living room area with sofas and stuff, just the kitchen, as I said, in the accommodation anyways. I don't know how nice the common room is at the reception as I never really go there.

As far as i'm aware all courts of accommodation have common rooms (some of which are part of reception blocks). Many of these have sofas, a tv and either a pool or table tennis table in.

Original post by Optimist_Prime
Do you know anyone in other houses with band d rooms who have had complaints? (Sorry for bombarding you with so many questions!!!)

I was in Band D at Manor Park last year and loved it there. Personally I don't know anyone who has had complained about there accommodation. Any heating problems/broken appliances that I knew of were also fixed or replaced quickly by the maintenance team.

Original post by Rose96_
Hi Jade!
I just wanted to find out if you got the first choice you wanted for accommodation? Do you think we will get the room we want?

Original post by Rose96_
Oh I'm glad to hear that! I really want to stay in manor park in the band f rooms, have you heard any complaints from other students about the band f rooms?

I also got my first choice of accommodation. I think most people do and those that don't, will get there 2nd or third choice depending on availability. Unfortunately that can be the problem with Band F rooms as like Jade has already mentioned, there are limited Band F rooms compared to the lower bands.

Original post by Laurabr
HIya, I have been offered a place on adult nursing.
I would like a band d room. Do you get a choice between stag hill and manor park and what area would you recommend?

Having lived at Manor Park last year I am a bit biased towards it and would recommend it over stag hill. However it will completely matter on your personal preferences. Manor park is practically next to SSP and Tesco is enroute so easy to pick up food on the way home, but then you have the travel to campus, which you don't have if living on stag hill.

Unfortunately you don't actually get a choice between Stag Hill and Manor Park, but there is normally quite a few that want to swap to the opposite, so if you are really opposed to the room you are allocated, room swaps are available.

I hope this has helped answer some of your questions. :smile:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Hello!

I'm so happy I found this thread!

I'm thinking about firming Surrey for Biomedical Science (with placement year).

What is your typical weekly timetable like? Are the lecturers nice? How is the course assessed? (How many exams/much coursework?)

Did did you apply for a placement year? Do you know many people at Surrey who, like me, want to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist?

Another thing I wanted to ask was roughly how many presentations do you have to give on the course (e.g. Each term / year)? And how many of these are assessed? I'm worried because I'm quite a shy individual and I really struggle with speaking in front of a group of people :s-smilie: do many people on your course get really nervous about presenting like me?

Also how many people are on the course? Do you get to know everyone quickly? Are most people 'geeky' and extremely clever (due to high entry requirements) or is it quite mixed ability?

Sorry for asking so many questions. If you would take the time to answer I would really appreciate it :biggrin: thank you!
Original post by LJennings3
Hello!

I'm so happy I found this thread!

I'm thinking about firming Surrey for Biomedical Science (with placement year).

What is your typical weekly timetable like? Are the lecturers nice? How is the course assessed? (How many exams/much coursework?)

Did did you apply for a placement year? Do you know many people at Surrey who, like me, want to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist?

Another thing I wanted to ask was roughly how many presentations do you have to give on the course (e.g. Each term / year)? And how many of these are assessed? I'm worried because I'm quite a shy individual and I really struggle with speaking in front of a group of people :s-smilie: do many people on your course get really nervous about presenting like me?

Also how many people are on the course? Do you get to know everyone quickly? Are most people 'geeky' and extremely clever (due to high entry requirements) or is it quite mixed ability?

Sorry for asking so many questions. If you would take the time to answer I would really appreciate it :biggrin: thank you!

The timetable varies per week. Typically on my timetable there are between 8 and 12 hours of lectures, even though there are a couple of weeks that are slightly higher (maybe 13 or 14 not usually higher from my memory) and the odd one which can be less, I find these are more likely to come towards the end of the semester. The lecturers are generally nice and are approachable if you need to ask for help or just have a few questions. Like with everywhere though you'll probably find some more approachable than others. The amount of exams and coursework depends on the module. Most modules have one exam, except from one in first semester that has none and there is one (optional) module, which most biomeds take, which has a practical exam instead of a written exam. The exams have ranged from 55% of the module to 80% of the module. Most of the coursework elements of this year has been practical reports, although the all-coursework module in first semester has no practicals and therefore has different forms of coursework. This module actually allows me to answer your question about presentations. One of the bits of coursework is a group presentation. Everyone is expected to be involved in the preparation and presenting of this. From what I remember groups ranged from 6-8 people. I didn't actually do any presenting, this is possible as you decide as a group how many, who and how this is done. Even though it is something you don't like (and of course I didn't take this bit of my own advice) I would say you should offer to do a small amount, something which will take you out of your comfort zone a bit but not too much, being able to present is a skill which is good to have, and I will have follow my own advice at some point. I think there are a lot of people who don't like presenting, so you certainly won't be alone. Hopefully you'll have a couple in your group who don't mind doing most of the presenting enabling you to do less. Presenting however does not form a big part of the first year, I cannot of course not say for second year yet. I think in the optional module I have chosen (the non-practical based one) there is a poster presentation, but nothing like the presentation in first semester, the other module option I'm not sure on.
I have applied for the degree with the placement year, even though this doesn't guarantee you a placement, but the university will help with applications. I think placements start being advertised from beginning of second year right to the end of that year, so I'm not quite there yet, although there has been a talk introducing the PTY with some points on CVs, cover letters, interviews etc. I am unaware on the number if people who want specific careers, there are bound to be a few like you who want that path.
On the biomed course this year there is around 120 people, so unless you are really good at remembering people you will never remember all 120. Add this to the fact that we share lectures with other degrees, mostly biochem, biological, microbiology and veterinary biosciences and some modules also have dietetics, nutrition, sports science there are loads of people in the lectures. Most lectures either have around 300 or 200 people in them, except in the optional module I do this semester, which only has around 40, mainly because most people want the other option module. This however means that lecturers generally will never know half of the peoples names, so it really is down to the individual to talk to the lecturer if they need help, there is no way the lecturer is able to figure that out. There is a mix of abilities, as is expected. People come in with different qualifications, different grades and just the fact that people are from different areas and schools will make this the case. Some also struggle on certain areas more than others, and this is dependant on the educational background of the student.
I think I've answered all your questions. If you notice any that I didn't answer or have developed more questions because of my answer then feel free to ask :smile:.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give such a detailed response. You have answered everything and have made me feel a lot more at ease! I really appreciate your help, thanks again! :biggrin:
Sorry to bother you again.. :colondollar:

So the presentations, are they mainly individual or group presentations? And how many people do you have to present in front of?

Are the exams hard? Are they mainly short or long answer questions? Do you by any chance have a copy of a sample question paper I could see?

Finally, have you generally enjoyed your time at Surrey so far? :smile:
Sorry to bother you again.. :colondollar:

So the presentations, are they mainly individual or group presentations? And how many people do you have to present in front of?

Are the exams hard? Are they mainly short or long answer questions? Do you by any chance have a copy of a sample question paper I could see?

Finally, have you generally enjoyed your time at Surrey so far? :smile:

The only presentation I've done so far was a group presentation. It was done it one of the smaller lecture theatres, not sure on the number actually there. Maximum of about 60 maybe, I'm not good at guessing on numbers so there could have been less :tongue:.
Remember that there is a chance that they will chance the way modules are run, I don't know how likely this is, but for me most of my exams are multiple choice. In first semester there were 2 completely multiple choice papers and one which was a third multiple choice, two thirds short answer questions. This semester I again have two completely multiple choice, one half multiple choice and half short-essays (which I'm not looking forward to but they are only expected to be short, the lecturer said that most of our practice essays looked too long and they were a page or just over long for most people.). I also have an exam that is completely short-answer questions, but this is my optional module which you may decide not to do. I don't have any examples of the mcqs, as they don't give past papers for these, but I should have a copy of a past paper for the first-term short answer part of the other exam, if not I should still be able to get one online, I'm sure they're still there. If you end up coming to Surrey you'll probably be given access to them well in advance of the exams. You'll have to tell me hows best to send one to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
The only presentation I've done so far was a group presentation. It was done it one of the smaller lecture theatres, not sure on the number actually there. Maximum of about 60 maybe, I'm not good at guessing on numbers so there could have been less :tongue:.
Remember that there is a chance that they will chance the way modules are run, I don't know how likely this is, but for me most of my exams are multiple choice. In first semester there were 2 completely multiple choice papers and one which was a third multiple choice, two thirds short answer questions. This semester I again have two completely multiple choice, one half multiple choice and half short-essays (which I'm not looking forward to but they are only expected to be short, the lecturer said that most of our practice essays looked too long and they were a page or just over long for most people.). I also have an exam that is completely short-answer questions, but this is my optional module which you may decide not to do. I don't have any examples of the mcqs, as they don't give past papers for these, but I should have a copy of a past paper for the first-term short answer part of the other exam, if not I should still be able to get one online, I'm sure they're still there. If you end up coming to Surrey you'll probably be given access to them well in advance of the exams. You'll have to tell me hows best to send one to you.

Thank you :smile: I'm glad there doesn't seem to be too many essays (yet anyway..). I really don't like essay writing, especially when under timed pressure :frown:

That would be a huge help. I can give you my school email - [email protected] (alternatively I can give you my personal email). Thanks again!
Thank you :smile: I'm glad there doesn't seem to be too many essays (yet anyway..). I really don't like essay writing, especially when under timed pressure :frown:

That would be a huge help. I can give you my school email - [email protected] (alternatively I can give you my personal email). Thanks again!

Ok I will send it when I get back in from my lectures. I think there becomes more essays as you get further along the course, they probably just want first year to be a nice intoduction to university 😊.
Reply 28
Hi I have got an offer to study Psychology starting in 2015 and wondered if you could ask a couple of questions:

1) What is the nightlife like and does the university ever run any trips into London for a night out?
2) I don't want to do a placement year, do the majority of people do a placement year in the university and therefore would I feel left behind?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Brontsss
Hi I have got an offer to study Psychology starting in 2015 and wondered if you could ask a couple of questions:

1) What is the nightlife like and does the university ever run any trips into London for a night out?
2) I don't want to do a placement year, do the majority of people do a placement year in the university and therefore would I feel left behind?

I never go out clubbing or go out at all at night, so I cannot speak from personal experience. I have heard of a couple of clubs, don't know how much they do or how good they are. I have never looked into any trips so I am unaware of if and how many times there are any.
There will be others that will not want to do a placement, I am not sure on what proportion generally do, especially for psychology. I would imagine that there is slightly more that want a placement but I'm not entirely sure. I wouldn't think you would feel necessarily left behind.
Sorry I took a while to reply, usually I reply straight away as otherwise I forget that I have something to reply to :tongue:.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 30
Hello, can you help me a bit please?
I am applying for BA German and Management - Languages department. Currently I have no opportunity to visit the uni just to find the department, and I plan to apply for accommodation. What are the at least three-five nearest campuses to this department so for me to have any clue? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J2JW
Hello, can you help me a bit please?
I am applying for BA German and Management - Languages department. Currently I have no opportunity to visit the uni just to find the department, and I plan to apply for accommodation. What are the at least three-five nearest campuses to this department so for me to have any clue? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of the accommodation is on campus, as long as you are put in one of these accommodations you'll never be very far from any of the uni buildings, I'm not quite sure which one is your department. Manor park (which has bands D, E and F) is about 20 mins walk from the main campus I think and Hazel farm (bands A and B) which is about 20 mins by bus I believe. It is also worth pointing out that you don't get to decide on campus anyway, even though there is the opportunity to swap rooms at the end of october if you are put on a different campus and really want to be on the main campus ☺.
Reply 32
A lot of the accommodation is on campus, as long as you are put in one of these accommodations you'll never be very far from any of the uni buildings, I'm not quite sure which one is your department. Manor park (which has bands D, E and F) is about 20 mins walk from the main campus I think and Hazel farm (bands A and B) which is about 20 mins by bus I believe. It is also worth pointing out that you don't get to decide on campus anyway, even though there is the opportunity to swap rooms at the end of october if you are put on a different campus and really want to be on the main campus ☺.

Yes, I do believe this opportunity will work)
Seems not far really, a walk sounds good. But how far is it from town centre, by the way??
Thank you!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J2JW
Yes, I do believe this opportunity will work)
Seems not far really, a walk sounds good. But how far is it from town centre, by the way??
Thank you!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only about 15/20 mins, I don't usually time it so its a very rough estimate. That's from the main campus, so if you end up on the other ones it's further away, although people at Hazel farm get a free bus pass
Reply 34
Hi Jade! :smile:
What's the university like in terms of multiculturalism? Also, do you happen to see a good number of Muslims around? :smile:
Original post by Missyyy
Hi Jade! :smile:
What's the university like in terms of multiculturalism? Also, do you happen to see a good number of Muslims around? :smile:

As far as I'm aware Surrey has a wide diversity of students, and you will certainly meet people of many different faiths and religions. I am of course not sure on exact numbers, but I have certainly seen a few muslims on my course, and of course there will probably be more as you can't tell by looking at someone if they don't wear something that identifies their faith. I also believe there is a society for muslims, as there is for many other faiths. Assuming you are asking particuarlly about muslims because that's your faith then that would be a good place to meet other muslims that are on different courses if you like meeting people if the same religion.
Reply 36
As far as I'm aware Surrey has a wide diversity of students, and you will certainly meet people of many different faiths and religions. I am of course not sure on exact numbers, but I have certainly seen a few muslims on my course, and of course there will probably be more as you can't tell by looking at someone if they don't wear something that identifies their faith. I also believe there is a society for muslims, as there is for many other faiths. Assuming you are asking particuarlly about muslims because that's your faith then that would be a good place to meet other muslims that are on different courses if you like meeting people if the same religion.

That's good to hear :smile: just making sure as this will be my first time in a completely new environment and country as I come from the middle east. Thanks for your reply, hope your year is going great :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by Missyyy
That's good to hear :smile: just making sure as this will be my first time in a completely new environment and country as I come from the middle east. Thanks for your reply, hope your year is going great :smile:

Hey there,
Just came across your question and thought I should mention there are about 2,000 muslims at Surrey. There are also many middle eastern societies such as the Arab, Palestinian, and Kuwaiti. So don't worry, you'll be fine :smile:
Hi, I'm thinking of putting Surrey down for my insurance for Psychology but I'm currently torn between that and Birmingham! What types of placements to Surrey offer for the placement year? Is the placement year very valuable?
Original post by Naureena
Hi, I'm thinking of putting Surrey down for my insurance for Psychology but I'm currently torn between that and Birmingham! What types of placements to Surrey offer for the placement year? Is the placement year very valuable?

I am not sure what types of placements will be available, especially for psychology, but they will be related to the course. Placements will be advertised although some people decide to find their own. As far as I'm aware placements are liked by employers, as it gives experience, which however hard you try you won't get without it, so it certainly has high value, but of course it isn't the end of the world without it, but it certainly adds something extra.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending