The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Ask a current student thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi
Im thinking of putting Surrey down as my firm for biomedical science but im going to have to travel from London. What is the timetable like? On average how many times a week did you go to lectures and labs in the first semester?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Original post by Amylopez123
Hi
Im thinking of putting Surrey down as my firm for biomedical science but im going to have to travel from London. What is the timetable like? On average how many times a week did you go to lectures and labs in the first semester?

Quite often there is something on 5 times a week. There is the odd weekday off but mainly its only weekends off. Lectures can run between 9am and 6pm and I have known there to be a lecture or 2 at 9am and then a big break until 4or5pm, I don't think that happens often though. Lectures per week are usually between 8 and 14, even though I have known it to be less. Practicals very greatly as you will have a certain number per module and these are spread out throughout the semester, so you may find one week you have 2or3 and another you have none.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Naureena
Hi, I'm thinking of putting Surrey down for my insurance for Psychology but I'm currently torn between that and Birmingham! What types of placements to Surrey offer for the placement year? Is the placement year very valuable?

Thought I might be able to help with this one! I studied Psychology myself (graduating in 2013) and undertook a placement year. Placements for Psychology are hugely varied. Some students undertook placements as Honorary Psychologists, some went into Marketing, others undertook research placements - it's really just a matter of preference. Psychology is great in this respect as the skills it provides are so broad. the placement year gives you a fantastic opportunity to find out what you might want to do when you graduate - or what you don't want to do!

I found when I graduated it was extremely valuable - you end up with a year of experience before you even graduate which makes you stand out from many other graduates.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by University of Surrey
Thought I might be able to help with this one! I studied Psychology myself (graduating in 2013) and undertook a placement year. Placements for Psychology are hugely varied. Some students undertook placements as Honorary Psychologists, some went into Marketing, others undertook research placements - it's really just a matter of preference. Psychology is great in this respect as the skills it provides are so broad. the placement year gives you a fantastic opportunity to find out what you might want to do when you graduate - or what you don't want to do!

I found when I graduated it was extremely valuable - you end up with a year of experience before you even graduate which makes you stand out from many other graduates.

Hope this helps :smile:

Hi! That's very helpful, thank you very much! Where did you go for your placement year? And what did you do after you graduated?
Original post by Naureena
Hi! That's very helpful, thank you very much! Where did you go for your placement year? And what did you do after you graduated?

I went to a small market research agency in Guildford where I was a Research Executive. It was a fantastic experience, I was managing projects from start to finish by the time I was due to leave and was offered a graduate job there too. A lot of students are offered graduate positions by their placement companies, so it takes the pressure off a bit during final year.

I however decided not to go back, and went to a digital marketing agency instead. I'm actually now back at the University of Surrey in the digital marketing team. :smile:
Reply 45
Hey

I've applied for M.Sc in Process & Environmental systems and hoping to join in September. Anyone in PG who can tell me about how the course, what to expect, and the job prospects after PG courses for International students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending