Gap Year - South East Asia advice.

Watch
NoName1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I am looking to take a gap year to S.E Asia some time next year and, like other fresh gap year students, I have no idea about anything. My questions are...

- Roughly how much a month would it cost excluding flights (we are looking to spend 4 months there)

- How much of it needs to be planned in advance? Or can i just go there and take each day as it comes? Do extras like boat rides, scuba diving etc need to be booked in advance?

- how did you create the plan? did you get it off someone else? did a travel agiency plan the whole thing for you? did you plan it yourself (if so how long does this take)

- having not traveled much before in my life, how much roughly would all the jabs cost?

- Would you recommend buying a bike/scooter while out there?

- do overnight trains need to be booked in advance?

- and finally the price of flights from England?

Any replies would be a massive help, i really have no clue but this is something my girlfriend and I really want to do
HitchhikeTheGlob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Okay,

Firstly, great choice with S.E Asia. It's the best for first time backpackers, easy, fun and affordable.

- To answers your questions -
Roughly how much?How long is a piece of string as people say? - All depends on how you want to live - 5 star or roughing it?Eating fancy or off the street? You can live from as little as £5 a day and less, but then prepare to kiss western luxuries good bye and most of what you deem as humane.
But to answer your question, personally, work on £20 a day. That's comfort, good bed in a hostel, or a basic private room maybe even a beach bungalow, 3 meals a day, a few beers and plus transport.
For activities, budget separately, anything from pennies to £200 and more. And always remember to have an emergency fund that will cover when S$%t goes bad.

- Planned in advance?
Nothing really but the date of your flight. The sooner you book the better deal you are most likely to get. Everything else you book when you get there. Prices are higher online due to commissions, and because they can. Of course, that can back fire if you hit high season and all the cheap place to stay are booked out and you are forced to stay in either an expensive hotel for £100 a night are cardboard box for a £1.

- how to create a plan?
Easy, you sit down with your girlfriend and start creating one. But to start you of, research the top things to see in each country and see what interests you most. Make a list of the must do's, see where they all are and make an itinerary.
Don't let any one else plan it for you, let it be your adventure. That's where most of the fun is. I believe in two types of travel, solo as you wish to do it and group back packing tours (which coincidentally is the company I run). But I'm all for people doing it on their own. Group tours are for people who don't have the time to plan or are just too unsure of themselves to do it alone.

Scuba diving - most likely you will research Koh Tao in Thailand is best for this, book on arrival. £200 will get you 4 nights accommodation and diving all for one price. There is over 50 dive schools, one will have space for you. Then atlas you can walk from one to another and see first hand what they do. The same goes for any other activity.

- Trains you can book a few days in advance sometimes last minute. But safer to book a couple day prior.

- Scooter to buy? Too much paper work to take it cross borders. But I would recommend doing north to south or visa versa in Vietnam with a motorcycle. Many do it, so it's easy to pick up a bike and sell it at the end.
Also, take note. You will need to be experienced, Asia does't drive like Europe. It's crazy and dangerous for the inexperienced. Ensure you have a license as travel insurance may not pay out if you have an accident.

- Jabs - go to Boots and ask, they have travel clinics. But prepare to be shocked, depends what you need, it can reach £400 plus.

- Flights -. I would love to do all the work for you, but I don't.

Last bit of advice, aim time wise like this. 1 month Thailand, 2 week Laos, 2 week Cambodia, 1 month Vietnam. With 1 month to play with incase you want to go else where are stay longer in a place.

I could sit here and write forever with a detailed essay on the topic, but that's a waste of time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy
NoName1997
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by HitchhikeTheGlob)
Okay,

Firstly, great choice with S.E Asia. It's the best for first time backpackers, easy, fun and affordable.

- To answers your questions -
Roughly how much?How long is a piece of string as people say? - All depends on how you want to live - 5 star or roughing it?Eating fancy or off the street? You can live from as little as £5 a day and less, but then prepare to kiss western luxuries good bye and most of what you deem as humane.
But to answer your question, personally, work on £20 a day. That's comfort, good bed in a hostel, or a basic private room maybe even a beach bungalow, 3 meals a day, a few beers and plus transport.
For activities, budget separately, anything from pennies to £200 and more. And always remember to have an emergency fund that will cover when S$%t goes bad.

- Planned in advance?
Nothing really but the date of your flight. The sooner you book the better deal you are most likely to get. Everything else you book when you get there. Prices are higher online due to commissions, and because they can. Of course, that can back fire if you hit high season and all the cheap place to stay are booked out and you are forced to stay in either an expensive hotel for £100 a night are cardboard box for a £1.

- how to create a plan?
Easy, you sit down with your girlfriend and start creating one. But to start you of, research the top things to see in each country and see what interests you most. Make a list of the must do's, see where they all are and make an itinerary.
Don't let any one else plan it for you, let it be your adventure. That's where most of the fun is. I believe in two types of travel, solo as you wish to do it and group back packing tours (which coincidentally is the company I run). But I'm all for people doing it on their own. Group tours are for people who don't have the time to plan or are just too unsure of themselves to do it alone.

Scuba diving - most likely you will research Koh Tao in Thailand is best for this, book on arrival. £200 will get you 4 nights accommodation and diving all for one price. There is over 50 dive schools, one will have space for you. Then atlas you can walk from one to another and see first hand what they do. The same goes for any other activity.

- Trains you can book a few days in advance sometimes last minute. But safer to book a couple day prior.

- Scooter to buy? Too much paper work to take it cross borders. But I would recommend doing north to south or visa versa in Vietnam with a motorcycle. Many do it, so it's easy to pick up a bike and sell it at the end.
Also, take note. You will need to be experienced, Asia does't drive like Europe. It's crazy and dangerous for the inexperienced. Ensure you have a license as travel insurance may not pay out if you have an accident.

- Jabs - go to Boots and ask, they have travel clinics. But prepare to be shocked, depends what you need, it can reach £400 plus.

- Flights -. I would love to do all the work for you, but I don't.

Last bit of advice, aim time wise like this. 1 month Thailand, 2 week Laos, 2 week Cambodia, 1 month Vietnam. With 1 month to play with incase you want to go else where are stay longer in a place.

I could sit here and write forever with a detailed essay on the topic, but that's a waste of time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy
This is amazing, thank you so much with booking the trains 2-3 days in advance.. how would you do that? but other than that this is amazing and get me even more excited to travel S.E Asia
HitchhikeTheGlob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by NoName1997)
This is amazing, thank you so much with booking the trains 2-3 days in advance.. how would you do that? but other than that this is amazing and get me even more excited to travel S.E Asia
Book them at either a travel agent in the area, or go direct to the train station.
Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia have rail networks - Cambodia and Laos don't, here you would need to catch a bus or hitchhike.
me0
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If I were you I would spend 6 weeks in Thailand, 6 weeks in Vietnam and 2-3 weeks each in Cambodia and Laos. I spent 2 weeks each in Cambodia and Laos and I think any more than 3 weeks would be a lot. Consider Burma as well. But to be honest I could have spend two months in Thailand on the islands.

For the route most people fly from UK to Bangkok. A return will be about £400+. You'll find that people tend to take the same route. I took a different route but a good one is: Bangkok, to the north of thailand (pai and chiang mai), then over to Laos (vang vieng and luang prabang), then over to vietnam (go from north to south), cross into Cambodia (phonp Penh, sihanoukville, siem reap) then into Thailand again to do the south (islands).

You can plan most things when you're there. Book somewhere for the first few nights as you get your bearings. If you want to do scuba diving on koh tao I would book in advance. Especially if this is after the full moon party on koh phangan (busy time).

Bikes/Scooters: So many people get them. I personally did, having no experience in England. they don't ask for any license or anything, if you do get them DO NOT put your passport as a deposit. They will try and screw you over! Happened to us. I fell off a few times, no real injuries thankfully but I saw some horrfic injuries caused by falling off bikes. In summary, they are a great way of seeing the places but come with risks, especially on the terrible roads

hope it helps x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (324)
56.06%
I don't have everything I need (254)
43.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed