Does a Polish A level count towards anything if I'm Polish

Watch this thread
staszek
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hello, I'm 16 years old and I've lived in Poland for the first 8 years of my life and then my family moved to the UK and I have been living here ever since. I speak Polish at home and I speak it equally well as I do English. I'm currently starting my AS levels and I was thinking about going ahead and doing an exam in Polish because it would require minimal effort from my side and I am pretty much guaranteed an A/A*. I've heard that Universities don't care about a language qualification if you are a native speaker of that language. Is that true? Will I get UCAS points for doing this A level? (BTW I'm also taking English Literature, Drama, Russian and Psychology)
lidiax
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by staszek)
Hello, I'm 16 years old and I've lived in Poland for the first 8 years of my life and then my family moved to the UK and I have been living here ever since. I speak Polish at home and I speak it equally well as I do English. I'm currently starting my AS levels and I was thinking about going ahead and doing an exam in Polish because it would require minimal effort from my side and I am pretty much guaranteed an A/A*. I've heard that Universities don't care about a language qualification if you are a native speaker of that language. Is that true? Will I get UCAS points for doing this A level? (BTW I'm also taking English Literature, Drama, Russian and Psychology)
Hi! I'm currently studying Polish at A-Level as well, but I'm only half Polish and was born and raised in England speaking English all my life!
The exam was tailored to suit people like me (ie third generation Poles) but at the end of the day it does count as a qualification, so go ahead! One thing I would say is don't be fooled into thinking it takes minimal effort just because you're fluent, as the exam involves more than just knowledge of the language, it involves organising your ideas about a certain topic and putting them into an essay, as well as translation and comprehension- and studying literature at A2 is even harder! I know many Poles who have taken the exam having failed to prepared and they didn't do nearly as well as they'd expected so... just some words of advice! Best of luck with your decision!
German123
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I can speak polish....anyway i think it does. But its a free bonus because you are half polish.
LJDRx
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Most top unis only accept modern language a-levels if you're not a native speaker/something to those guidelines, but less prestigious unis dont care
Anonymous263
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Definitely do it, i assume you are doing GCSE's, i'm not sure about the difficulty levels now but when i did it, it was minimal effort and an extra A*.
A-levels are harder though, especially if you don't write in Polish much and are out of practice, so you might need to practice a bit.
If i didn't do the language as an extra A-level chances are i wouldn't have got into the university i wanted to.
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I was in the exact same situation. Lived in Poland for the first 8-9 years of my life, been living here ever since. I did the Polish GCSE in year 10 and got A*s/As with an A overall. In year 11 I got offered to take the A-Level so I thought ''why not?''. I got an A in AS and a B in the A2 last year (year 12) (you say Polish is easy for a native speaker well yes but the A2 exam includes literature and social/political contexts which I had no idea about since I never studied any polish literature or history but I somehow managed a B). I ended up getting an A overall.

Now - I'm in year 13 with my uni application already completed, offers received, offer accepted (Law at Leicester). The offer I got from Leicester was amazing as well since they accepted my A in Polish straight away, so now I only have to get AB in my A2s although I'm predicted AAB anyway (and AAB is what all my offers were). During the application process, however, I checked entry requirements for specific unis/courses online AS WELL AS calling the unis themselves and asking whether they would accept the grade for a particular course.

My initial choice was Law with European Legal Systems at East Anglia but I called them and they said they will not accept my Polish under any circumstances. Leicester, however, accept it fully especially more so since the course I applied for was Law with a Modern Language so languages are just accepted in general. It really depends on the university and the course itself. BUT Polish A-Level isn't that much work even if you are doing it on your own as I did (just A2 takes some research) so you could still do it alongside your other A-Levels without that much effort. Why not? It's always an extra qualification.
staszek
Rep:
(Original post by 1501)
I was in the exact same situation. Lived in Poland for the first 8-9 years of my life, been living here ever since. I did the Polish GCSE in year 10 and got A*s/As with an A overall. In year 11 I got offered to take the A-Level so I thought ''why not?''. I got an A in AS and a B in the A2 last year (year 12) (you say Polish is easy for a native speaker well yes but the A2 exam includes literature and social/political contexts which I had no idea about since I never studied any polish literature or history but I somehow managed a B). I ended up getting an A overall.

Now - I'm in year 13 with my uni application already completed, offers received, offer accepted (Law at Leicester). The offer I got from Leicester was amazing as well since they accepted my A in Polish straight away, so now I only have to get AB in my A2s although I'm predicted AAB anyway (and AAB is what all my offers were). During the application process, however, I checked entry requirements for specific unis/courses online AS WELL AS calling the unis themselves and asking whether they would accept the grade for a particular course.

My initial choice was Law with European Legal Systems at East Anglia but I called them and they said they will not accept my Polish under any circumstances. Leicester, however, accept it fully especially more so since the course I applied for was Law with a Modern Language so languages are just accepted in general. It really depends on the university and the course itself. BUT Polish A-Level isn't that much work even if you are doing it on your own as I did (just A2 takes some research) so you could still do it alongside your other A-Levels without that much effort. Why not? It's always an extra qualification.
Thanks a lot, really helped!
staszek
Rep:
(Original post by LJDRx)
Most top unis only accept modern language a-levels if you're not a native speaker/something to those guidelines, but less prestigious unis dont care
What if I told them I learned Polish from scratch? How would they prove otherwise?
staszek
Rep:
(Original post by lidiax)
Hi! I'm currently studying Polish at A-Level as well, but I'm only half Polish and was born and raised in England speaking English all my life!
The exam was tailored to suit people like me (ie third generation Poles) but at the end of the day it does count as a qualification, so go ahead! One thing I would say is don't be fooled into thinking it takes minimal effort just because you're fluent, as the exam involves more than just knowledge of the language, it involves organising your ideas about a certain topic and putting them into an essay, as well as translation and comprehension- and studying literature at A2 is even harder! I know many Poles who have taken the exam having failed to prepared and they didn't do nearly as well as they'd expected so... just some words of advice! Best of luck with your decision!
Thank you, I'm sure my parents will be thrilled to make me read all the Polish classics
LJDRx
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
What if I told them I learned Polish from scratch? How would they prove otherwise?
They have access to your family background and careers and household income and stuff, I'm sure it wouldn't end well if they somehow discovered you were lying! Better to be safe than sorry I reckon
Snufkin
Report 7 years ago
Not advisable, they would likely find out and bin your application. Presumably they would be able to tell simply by your name that you're Polish?
Sweet Heart bab
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Sorry is there anything that you can prove? What do you mean by “ top uni” which one??
Sweet Heart bab
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I pretty much find these thread silly
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sweet Heart bab)
I pretty much find these thread silly
You've bumped a 5 year old thread.

The info here is out of date, many more uni's accept native language quals now, (especially if taken alongside other AL's), although it is always best to check wit them directly before applying.
Sweet Heart bab
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
You've bumped a 5 year old thread.

The info here is out of date, many more uni's accept native language quals now, (especially if taken alongside other AL's), although it is always best to check wit them directly before applying.
I don’t understand something, when you say “ if taken alongside other AL’s” Do you mean when you drop a grade in a subject the native language a level can substitute for it?? I mean “ more likely to be accept”???
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sweet Heart bab)
I don’t understand something, when you say “ if taken alongside other AL’s” Do you mean when you drop a grade in a subject the native language a level can substitute for it?? I mean “ more likely to be accept”???
I mean an AL in a native language will most likely be accepted the same as any other subject. When I say "taken alongside" I just mean in the same sitting as other AL's.

Some applicants are a bit cheeky and try to take a native language AL years before their other AL's, it would almost definitely not be accepted in that case.
Snufkin
Report 1 year ago
I mean an AL in a native language will most likely be accepted the same as any other subject. When I say "taken alongside" I just mean in the same sitting as other AL's.

Some applicants are a bit cheeky and try to take a native language AL years before their other AL's, it would almost definitely not be accepted in that case.
What's your source for this? I've not heard that anything has changed re unis accepting native language A levels.
Sweet Heart bab
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
What's your source for this? I've not heard that anything has changed re unis accepting native language A levels.
I think Admit-One is correct. Search on ucl and Warwick now they both accept native language als
Sweet Heart bab
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Yes heard of many unis don’t accept in that way.
How about if uni prospectus used to not accept native language but got rid of it now,( disappear,idk what it mean tho??
Last edited by Sweet Heart bab; 1 year ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
for anyone in this situation honestly...... if you came as a child, why mention or talk about proficiency and take the A*
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
17.57%
The paper was reasonable (65)
43.92%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
17.57%
It was TERRIBLE (31)
20.95%

Watched Threads