bnadin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I really want to study Ecology and become a conservationist, but I don't know if there are many jobs actually available once you graduate. So if there are any ecology graduates, or people who have done a similar course reading this, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how it's going trying to find a job, whether you need to have a lot of work experience and what is the usual salary your offered! Thank you!
Tyler Bam
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here.
xlizx
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by bnadin)
I really want to study Ecology and become a conservationist, but I don't know if there are many jobs actually available once you graduate. So if there are any ecology graduates, or people who have done a similar course reading this, I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how it's going trying to find a job, whether you need to have a lot of work experience and what is the usual salary your offered! Thank you!
Hi, I'm not a graduate but I am interested in ecology and conservation too, but have chosen Zoology as it covers both ecology and conservation but gives you more careers options, I will then do my masters in ecology and conservation so perhaps look into Zoology too.

It will be a huge advantage to you to get work experience and volunteer work, most people on my degree do one day a week of volunteering in their filed of interest.

Also bear in mind, people tend to go into this field because they have a passion for it, not for the salary. Some info on pay etc can be found here http://www.prospects.ac.uk/ecologist_salary.htm
larusfuscus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i work for a conservation charity

what do you mean by 'a conservationist'? are you interested in practical land management type work or more academic/research type work?

what, if anything, do you know about ecological consultancy?

if you can answer those i can give a more useful reply

but it's a tough field to get into and salaries are generally pretty low for the experience required
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (581)
34.22%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (698)
41.11%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (341)
20.08%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (78)
4.59%

Watched Threads