The Student Room Group

Insomnia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

I've been awake for hours. Still, this is a normal night. There are some nights where I get only two hours of shut-eye. Insomnia's dramatically affecting my life, making it undeniably stressful. :lazy:
Anyone else suffering? Cures, anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nuclear Ghost
I've been awake for hours. Still, this is a normal night. There are some nights where I get only two hours of shut-eye. Insomnia's dramatically affecting my life, making it undeniably stressful. :lazy:
Anyone else suffering? Cures, anyone?

Sleepless nights huh? well there is no need to stress because helps is on is way.......try listening to music or reading a book or something that will help you fall asleep....
Original post by German123
Sleepless nights huh? well there is no need to stress because helps is on is way.......try listening to music or reading a book or something that will help you fall asleep....

I do that. It's just sometimes more effective than other times. :smile:
What's your diet like? Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates?
I do that. It's just sometimes more effective than other times. :smile:

Ohhhh....sorry...hopefully someone with more advice will post some advice etc.:smile:
Go to that weird part of youtube or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asmuse123
What's your diet like? Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates?

A fair amount. I have a well balanced diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A fair amount. I have a well balanced diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got mock exams coming up?
Reply 8
Exercise more, especially before bedtime, and when you're done have a bath and take the time to relax.

If you can't sleep, read a book or do something constructive until you fall asleep, and if that doesn't work then force yourself to stay up the whole night and the next day until you come round full circle. You'll sleep like a log the next night.
I used to suffer from chronic insomnia, now I only get it once in a while. Tonight is that once in a while, hence why I'm spamming the forums.

Honestly I'm not sure what to advise. I tried lots of things for my insomnia, nothing seemed to work except one thing to help with the symptoms when things got bad, I can't say what I treated it with though. I'm trying to remember if anything in particular changed and if it's something I can advise to you also. Hm... It's complicated because it seemed like every night my insomnia had a different cause. Like one night I was just hungry all night. Another night might be due to this feeling of trapped heat I used to sometimes get in my head, it felt like a buildup of blood and I'd get a headache and my thoughts would get all speedy and it kind of felt like the onset of a bad cheese dream. Another night it could be because I was worried about something. Another night feeling sick.... so-on.

I dunno what happened, just stopped worrying so much maybe? Really not sure. I've noticed nowadays if something is really worrying me I can set it to one side in my mind to allow myself to sleep, something I could never have done a few years back. Is your insomnia stress-induced or more unexplained?

If I think of something specific I'll post back to let you know. I can only sympathize thus far.

EDIT: Something I remembered that always made it worse was trying to force yourself to sleep. I really don't think lying in bed trying to sleep helps. It can make you feel really restless and uncomfy, better to get up, possibly get some cool night air if you can and stay up until you feel ready for bed again. It helps to re-set your mind, I usually go back to bed feeling like I'm in a totally different state and more prepared to sleep.

Also sticking to a strict schedule helps, no daytime naps and you have to get up early every morning and force yourself to stay awake all day until bed time, by which time you should be thoroughly exhausted. After a while your body starts to get into a natural rhythm and you become habituated to falling asleep at certain times. Don't worry if you don't sleep the first couple of nights. Your body should give in to sleep eventually unless you have a very serious case of insomnia.
(edited 9 years ago)
Have you got mock exams coming up?

In two months, but that doesn't really affect my general sleep pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In two months, but that doesn't really affect my general sleep pattern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure you're not stressed?
I always find that having a long candlelit bath before bed really helps with insomnia. I work in Lush, and we usually recommend using products with cinnamon, clove, sandalwood or lavender to customers who are having trouble sleeping, as they really help to soothe the mind and relax the body. 'Kalms Night' sleeping tablets are also pretty effective, and they're completely organic too so you don't have to worry about any side-effects :smile:
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
I used to suffer from chronic insomnia, now I only get it once in a while. Tonight is that once in a while, hence why I'm spamming the forums.

Honestly I'm not sure what to advise. I tried lots of things for my insomnia, nothing seemed to work except one thing to help with the symptoms when things got bad, I can't say what I treated it with though. I'm trying to remember if anything in particular changed and if it's something I can advise to you also. Hm... It's complicated because it seemed like every night my insomnia had a different cause. Like one night I was just hungry all night. Another night might be due to this feeling of trapped heat I used to sometimes get in my head, it felt like a buildup of blood and I'd get a headache and my thoughts would get all speedy and it kind of felt like the onset of a bad cheese dream. Another night it could be because I was worried about something. Another night feeling sick.... so-on.

I dunno what happened, just stopped worrying so much maybe? Really not sure. I've noticed nowadays if something is really worrying me I can set it to one side in my mind to allow myself to sleep, something I could never have done a few years back. Is your insomnia stress-induced or more unexplained?

If I think of something specific I'll post back to let you know. I can only sympathize thus far.

Thanx a lot. I can't really say what causes my general lack of sleep. This is amplified in times of stress, but this is not one of those times. So really it could be anything at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you sure you're not stressed?

Pretty darn sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty darn sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maybe go to the hospital?
Original post by IshBishhh
I always find that having a long candlelit bath before bed really helps with insomnia. I work in Lush, and we usually recommend using products with cinnamon, clove, sandalwood or lavender to customers who are having trouble sleeping, as they really help to soothe the mind and relax the body. 'Kalms Night' sleeping tablets are also pretty effective, and they're completely organic too so you don't have to worry about any side-effects :smile:

That sounds like a deal. :wink: I'll certainly try something along those lines. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Try that sleep hypnosis video on YouTube, it actually helps
Thanx a lot. I can't really say what causes my general lack of sleep. This is amplified in times of stress, but this is not one of those times. So really it could be anything at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I edited my post with a few titbits of advice, not sure if it will be of any help or if you have tried it already.
I couldn't sleep last night.

And all I want to do right now is sleep.

But I can't.

Because life is a big meanie and throws essays at me.

:grumble:

Quick Reply

Latest