Canon EOS 1200D - Help Needed?!?!

Watch
username1222417
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Littlewoods are selling canon eos 1200d with 18-55mm lense i want to pay for it through monthly payments and not in one go. i need some help understanding their monthly payments options would it also be a good idea to get service guarnte to is would increase the monthly price :confused:

Also should i wait a til thursday/friday to buy it as its currently on sale and black friday is around the corner.

can anyone help me - preferably someone who knows a thing or too about banking/accounting/finance etc.
Attached files
mikeyd85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cathzeta10)
Littlewoods are selling canon eos 1200d with 18-55mm lense i want to pay for it through monthly payments and not in one go. i need some help understanding their monthly payments options would it also be a good idea to get service guarnte to is would increase the monthly price :confused:

Also should i wait a til thursday/friday to buy it as its currently on sale and black friday is around the corner.

can anyone help me - preferably someone who knows a thing or too about banking/accounting/finance etc.
What is it you don't understand?

If you can afford it, go for the interest free purchase. Paying basically nothing per week for 3 years seem ludicrous for such an amount and you end up spending £80 on interest for no real reason tbh.

Service guarantee is probably not worth it to be honest. They rarely are.

At this time of the year, yeah, wait a while. Post-xmas sales might be worth looking at too if you're not in a big rush.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

It's not really on sale, the 1200D kit has (to my knowledge) never sold for anywhere close to £479- It sells for £309 from Jessops and £279 on Amazon. You won't be missing out on anything by waiting to see what Black Friday deals crop up.

I don't know enough about buying things on finance to know how Littlewoods are supposed to operate, what I do know is that paying almost £500 for a 1200D is insane. The service guarantee also seems very expensive for £54 for three years considering it's basically an extended warranty- the two year guarantee John Lewis offer for free with all products offers comparable coverage and the £30 added cover option covers accidental damage for three years and new-for-old replacements.

As with most tech purchases, you'll inevitably be better off buying outright, especially with Black Friday around the corner.
username1222417
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
It's not really on sale, the 1200D kit has (to my knowledge) never sold for anywhere close to £479- It sells for £309 from Jessops and £279 on Amazon. You won't be missing out on anything by waiting to see what Black Friday deals crop up.

I don't know enough about buying things on finance to know how Littlewoods are supposed to operate, what I do know is that paying almost £500 for a 1200D is insane. The service guarantee also seems very expensive for £54 for three years considering it's basically an extended warranty- the two year guarantee John Lewis offer for free with all products offers comparable coverage and the £30 added cover option covers accidental damage for three years and new-for-old replacements.

As with most tech purchases, you'll inevitably be better off buying outright, especially with Black Friday around the corner.
(Original post by mikeyd85)
What is it you don't understand?

If you can afford it, go for the interest free purchase. Paying basically nothing per week for 3 years seem ludicrous for such an amount and you end up spending £80 on interest for no real reason tbh.

Service guarantee is probably not worth it to be honest. They rarely are.

At this time of the year, yeah, wait a while. Post-xmas sales might be worth looking at too if you're not in a big rush.
thanks guys , so you're both saying its a bad idea - either option? i just thought it was a good deal cause i don't have the money right now to pay upfront. i'm not in a rush or anything but i've been wanting a dslr for quite some time.

okay how about these two deals:
used canon eos 400d body without a lense for £89.00 here > http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...non-eos-400d-1

used nikon d3000 body without a lense for £94.00 here > http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use.../nikon-d3000-4
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
thanks guys , so you're both saying its a bad idea - either option? i just thought it was a good deal cause i don't have the money right now to pay upfront. i'm not in a rush or anything but i've been wanting a dslr for quite some time.

okay how about these two deals:
used canon eos 400d body without a lense for £89.00 here > http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use...non-eos-400d-1

used nikon d3000 body without a lense for £94.00 here > http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/use.../nikon-d3000-4
It would be a bad idea to rush into buying it, but if you can read through the T&Cs with somebody and are sure you know what you're getting into then it could be alright if there's no other options. However my gut is saying if they're going to let you pay interest free then there are avenues for them to charge down the line, so be sure you know thoroughly where pitfalls could lie. If you're not in a rush then I would certainly not be throwing myself into a lengthy payment plan.

Those aren't technically deals, rather they're older used cameras that now sell for dirt cheap compared to more recent DSLRs. That being said, for a beginner an older second hand DSLR can be perfectly fine to learn on, and buying used is perfectly fine in a lot of cases- my first DSLR was a refurb and I've bought second hand lenses from MPB in the past and never had an issue, they're generally very popular for used gear.

Both of those cameras will get you most of the core features you will want from a DSLR- full array of manual controls, the optical viewfinder, interchangeable lenses, and of course the high image quality. Downside to these older cameras is that the Canon does not use standard SD cards, you'll have to get CF cards and most likely a card reader for your computer, and their ISO range is much shorter than modern cameras, which means you won't have as much flexibility and pictures will be a lot noisier compared to newer cameras at the same settings (if you don't already know, ISO is one of the three key metrics for controlling exposure- higher ISO means you can use larger apertures and shorter shutter speeds but the higher into a camera's range you move, the noisier/grainier pictures become). They also lack live view which means you won't be able to use the screen to frame photos, you have to use the viewfinder. I personally haven't used live view in the 9 months I've been using DSLRs, but that will bother come people.

Of those two cameras, I'd pick the D3000 simply because it's quite a bit newer- 2009 vs 2006. The two cameras are very similar in core specs- same sensor size and megapixel count, same continuous shooting speed, same ISO count, however the Nikon has more autofocus points and an SD card slot.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
x
Just found this that you may be interested in- Argos are selling the Nikon D3200 with a kit lens for £199. Assuming you'd be spending around £150 for one of those two older bodies with a kit lens, it isn't much more money for a much more recent (Nikon only replaced if with the D3300 this year and they're practically the same camera), brand new camera that will be quite a bit better in most respects. Plus Nikon are currently offering £20 cashback on D3200 purchases, effectively making the price £179. You won't get anything better for such little money, and a lot of people would take a D3200 over a 1200D.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Prod...Term/d3200.htm
username1222417
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Just found this that you may be interested in- Argos are selling the Nikon D3200 with a kit lens for £199. Assuming you'd be spending around £150 for one of those two older bodies with a kit lens, it isn't much more money for a much more recent (Nikon only replaced if with the D3300 this year and they're practically the same camera), brand new camera that will be quite a bit better in most respects. Plus Nikon are currently offering £20 cashback on D3200 purchases, effectively making the price £179. You won't get anything better for such little money, and a lot of people would take a D3200 over a 1200D.

http://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Prod...Term/d3200.htm
thanks i'll check it out
UpInTheMorning
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i just thought it was a good deal cause i don't have the money right now to pay upfront. i'm not in a rush or anything but i've been wanting a dslr for quite some time.
If you're not in a rush, I would recommend waiting until you can afford to buy one outright. If you go for the payment plan you will pay quite a bit more, so it just doesn't make sense to see that as a cheaper option. Sure, it's cheaper this week, and the next, but not in 100 weeks when you've already paid over the odds for the camera and they still want the blinking money every week.
Sir Fox
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Don't buy stuff you cannot afford, especially if it means having to take up debt for something as cheap and negligible as a 1200D!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (254)
34.05%
No (492)
65.95%

Watched Threads