Psychology A2: Amount of breadth and depth needed for a 24 mark Question?

Watch
dominicwild
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, I know the general structure of a 24 mark question. Usually a splurge of AO1 with AO2, then AO3. Or alternating between AO1 and AO2 and ending on AO3 in a structured manner.

In the traditional, AO1, AO2, AO3 plan, how much of each is required for 24 marks? Since I can never seem to understand why I get full marks on one section, like AO1, and then not. Any tips in this area? I always use examples to extent depth of explanations, i.e Timmy did this, and reacted this way. To show a point or instance of an explanation. I don't know how useful those are when demonstrating breadth and depth.

My main concern however is in the AO2 section, mainly in reference to how much research do you need? I've heard 3 studies and 3 AO3 Issues for full marks. Then I've also heard 3 studies + 3 evaluation points for each + 3 AO3 issues. I think the latter is CRAZY amount to write! I've also heard 2 studies and 2 debates can work too. I don't know how much to write in this section, in terms of just sheer number of studies, limitations and debates.

I appreciate any feedback on this query.
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
for a 24 marker, it's 8 marks for each
dominicwild
Rep:
?
(Original post by Safiya122)
for a 24 marker, it's 8 marks for each
Hmm, so if it's 8 marks for each, how many studies do I include? I'd assume 3 PEE style studies should be enough, of course if they are of decent length and quality.

I'd also assume the same for the AO3, 3 issues and debates, if it's worth 8 marks too.
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by dominicwild)
Hmm, so if it's 8 marks for each, how many studies do I include? I'd assume 3 PEE style studies should be enough, of course if they are of decent length and quality.

I'd also assume the same for the AO3, 3 issues and debates, if it's worth 8 marks too.
Yeah, you've got it right
dominicwild
Rep:
?
Alrighty, now it seems less demanding than writing 3 studies, 3 methodical issues with said studies, which is superfluous.
Aneesah_May
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Alrighty, now it seems less demanding than writing 3 studies, 3 methodical issues with said studies, which is superfluous.

So wait are you saying we only need 3 research studies to get an A?
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Aneesah_May)
So wait are you saying we only need 3 research studies to get an A?
No I mean like each bit is 8 marks but use more than 3 or if you use 3 you need to have in real depth with them
JustBeing
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

It's actually 8 marks for A01 and 16 marks for A02, within those 16 marks, A03 accounts for 3 marks only.

So justgive a paragraph ofA01 (this makes up one third of your essay)
Then your A02 (with A03 in it) makes up two thirds of your essay. I'd say youneed about 4/5 studies (remember some are small and less detailed), it'sbasically some studies to support theory/just general supportive evaluationpoints, and then the other half to oppose the theory/questions at hand, anddrop a couple of A03 points. Remember not to just simply list A03 points,always say WHY
e.g. So and so lacks realism because the study took part in a laboratory and sois not what you would expect to see in real life.

Hope I helped!
Mark Coyle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Guys I will make this short

24 marks, 16 a02 and 8 a01

You can achieve 4 a03s instead of 4 ao2s but you do not need to have any a03s in an essay
I am getting some private tuition so I am learning a fair bit, happy to share on here what I know
Take it easy

Peace and love
Aneesah_May
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Our teacher is telling us it is 1 mark per study. Can someone please give me an example of one a02 paragraph and how many marks it would equate to
Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (593)
34.1%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.95%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.54%

Watched Threads