The Student Room Group

Ielts Test - At what point do I need it?

Hi guys.

I'm doing my UCAS application at the moment and I was wondering if I could send the application before I do the ielts test or if I need to include my test results into the application in order to get offers?!
I am from Germany, therefore English isn't my native language, but I have studied it for about 12 years.
I hope someone can help me. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
You have to give the ielts results in your application before extending it off, so the uni's can see you have the qualification...
Reply 2
Therefore I have to wait for the results, right?
Because I read somewhere that the universities do not necessarily need the prove of English with the application. Only after they gave you an offer and that you even have some time after you accepted to show your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a9493r
You have to give the ielts results in your application before extending it off, so the uni's can see you have the qualification...

Hello, I am on a gap year and have applied for a course that requires a B for GCSE English which I don't have (got a C). I already sent off my UCAS on 15 October and have not had a reply yet from that uni. I indicated on my UCAS that I am not taking any exams this year. Is it too late or do I still have the chance to do the IELTS? If I do it, how does the uni receive my results and how long does it take for the results to come in?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Raymat
Hello, I am on a gap year and have applied for a course that requires a B for GCSE English which I don't have (got a C). I already sent off my UCAS on 15 October and have not had a reply yet from that uni. I indicated on my UCAS that I am not taking any exams this year. Is it too late or do I still have the chance to do the IELTS? If I do it, how does the uni receive my results and how long does it take for the results to come in?

Hi,

IELTS happens 48 times a year I think. You just have to book the slot in your local center depending on the number of days your local test center conducts the exam. Also I think the results should come out within 1 month. However since you have sent the application off, I don't think there is any way you can include it in your application. However if the Uni rejects your application, then you can appeal to their decision and let them know that you are planning to sit for the IELTS and your predicted grades are as such. Alternatively you can call up UCAS, explain your situation to them and ask them what would be the best option.
Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by a9493r
Hi,

IELTS happens 48 times a year I think. You just have to book the slot in your local center depending on the number of days your local test center conducts the exam. Also I think the results should come out within 1 month. However since you have sent the application off, I don't think there is any way you can include it in your application. However if the Uni rejects your application, then you can appeal to their decision and let them know that you are planning to sit for the IELTS and your predicted grades are as such. Alternatively you can call up UCAS, explain your situation to them and ask them what would be the best option.
Hope that helps :smile:

Lets say I do the IELTS, how will the Uni be able to receive my results? Do I post it to them, email them or do they get it automatically?
Reply 6
Original post by aniKasch
Therefore I have to wait for the results, right?
Because I read somewhere that the universities do not necessarily need the prove of English with the application. Only after they gave you an offer and that you even have some time after you accepted to show your results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily. I think you can put in your application that you are currently taking the IELTS and the predicted resulted if you have it. Else they will give you a conditional offer saying that they are offering you a place on the condition you achieve their required grades and a suitable English qualification. After your results come and you want to confirm your place at that Uni, they see the IELTS results before confirming their offer.
Reply 7
Original post by Raymat
Lets say I do the IELTS, how will the Uni be able to receive my results? Do I post it to them, email them or do they get it automatically?

After you confirm your place and tell them you passed the IELTS and meet their conditions they will invite you to an application open day where you are interviewed. During this time, they ask you questions from your personal statement and see your exam certificates. This is when you will have to show the IELTS results certificate also.
Original post by a9493r
After you confirm your place and tell them you passed the IELTS and meet their conditions they will invite you to an application open day where you are interviewed. During this time, they ask you questions from your personal statement and see your exam certificates. This is when you will have to show the IELTS results certificate also.

Thank you so much, you have been a great help :smile:. Now I need to wait if the uni even give me an offer!!
Reply 9
Don't worry, this is their busiest time so they take long to reply but am sure it will go great :smile:

Quick Reply