ayeesha_97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi guys, I would be really grateful if anyone could help with this section of the exam. I'm really confused as to how to approach the question, what to analyse and how do we know if a word is obsolete? And in the exam as far as data is concerned do we get two texts which we have to compare or just a single text to analyse? Also if anybody has a model answer that would be really helpful!
Please guys if you can offer any help that'd be great
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hiya! I noticed that you haven't received a response yet. You may have better luck over in the English forum. You can find it here. Good luck!
xjaye
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, i'm doing the same exam and I'd appreciate any help too!
ayeesha_97
Rep:
?
What exactly do you want help with because I think that I've managed to understand it now and might be able to help you. :yes:
xjaye
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ayeesha_97)
What exactly do you want help with because I think that I've managed to understand it now and might be able to help you. :yes:
I'm okay with learning the content and everything it's just exam technique! Like what to include, what gets the marks, how to structure answers? My main concern is what examiners are actually looking for?! Thank you
ayeesha_97
Rep:
?
Right well basically the main way to answer this section is to include how language is used for that particular purpose so basically like you would've done in AS for section A and along with this see how language has changed. In this question you have a choice of two questions, I tend to pick the one where you can compare 2 texts from different times. In the introduction: I identify GASP(genre, purpose, audience and subject) of both texts then I always try to include a question usually along the lines that do the two texts support a prescriptivist view on language change or descriptivist view which i then answer in the conclusion. Main body: based on my analysis of the two texts I wrote PEEs on similarities and differences between the two texts and always at the end of each paragraph link it to context so here it's important to know the key changes or events that were happening at that time e.g. technology advancement, compulsory education act etc.

So I hope this helped you and If you still have any doubts feel free to ask
xjaye
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ayeesha_97)
Right well basically the main way to answer this section is to include how language is used for that particular purpose so basically like you would've done in AS for section A and along with this see how language has changed. In this question you have a choice of two questions, I tend to pick the one where you can compare 2 texts from different times. In the introduction: I identify GASP(genre, purpose, audience and subject) of both texts then I always try to include a question usually along the lines that do the two texts support a prescriptivist view on language change or descriptivist view which i then answer in the conclusion. Main body: based on my analysis of the two texts I wrote PEEs on similarities and differences between the two texts and always at the end of each paragraph link it to context so here it's important to know the key changes or events that were happening at that time e.g. technology advancement, compulsory education act etc.

So I hope this helped you and If you still have any doubts feel free to ask
Yes that did help, thank you very much it's nice to get advice from other people! I also wish there was a discussion thread on A2 English language so you can see what others think, but I haven't found one yet thank you again!
ayeesha_97
Rep:
?
No problem, yeah same even I was looking foe one because I'm now stuck for an idea for my media text bit of the coursework :/
xjaye
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If you ever find one let me know because it would be so helpful and yeah I had the same problem, I don't know if mine is right! What's your investigation on?
ayeesha_97
Rep:
?
Will do

It's "to what extent does the gender of a guest affect a female host's speech" so basically I analysed Ellen from the Ellen Show's conversations with josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence. Now I don't know what media piece to do. What's yours about? And your media piece?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%