Turn on thread page Beta

Was Hitler morally 'wrong?' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Was Hitler wrong to kill the Jews? There is an argument that he wasn't which goes something like this.

What we determine to me morally 'right' or 'wrong' is more an indicator of public opinion at a given time rather than being anything objective. A few hundered years ago many people around the world accepted slavery as being morally ok. Fast forward a few hundered years and you reach a stage where it has suddenly become 'wrong'. Objectively though, nothing has changed. All that has changed is public opinion.

Now think of Hitler Germany. Hitler had the support of many Germans when he systematically exterminated the Jews. Don't get me wrong, I personally think what Hilter did was wrong and one of the worst eras of documented history I know of but that is subjective it is nothing more than an opinion. But objectively, morally, was Hitler wrong?

Gets you thinking. Or gets me thinking anyway...

ReputationRep:
    many still agree with his views today. but he was wrong

Hilter was wrong. To kill someone is morally wrong, and he killed 6 million of them.

He is a wicked man, who deserves to rot and burn in hell.

ReputationRep:
    On the subject of burning in hell, do any Christians find it hard to believe he will be in heaven if he accepted Jesus Christ before he died? I'm a Christian and I stuggle to deal with that.

I hope he's burning as we speak, thats what I honestly feel.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to Hitler being morally wrong - of course he was! Anti-semitism is sick, and Hitler was evil beyond repentance. However, he was a great leader and did many beneficial things for the German people (ie. the construction of autobahns). Don't think that I am in favour of what Hitler did - quite the opposite, my mother is jewish after all.

A lot of people seem to despise Hitler, yet overlook the suffering that Stalin caused as well. It is probable that Stalin killed twice as many people as Hitler - and he was just as predjudiced against jews. The gulaks (concentration camps) that he set up were the final resting place of many intellectuals, gypsies and other unfavoured social classes. The estimated amount of people that Stalin killed was around 17 million - quite significant in comparison to the 6 million or so Hitler was responsible for having killed.

P.S. Tednol, you are an Aryan *******.

ReputationRep:
    All be it an Aryan with brown hair.

ReputationRep:
    Aryan in opinion, not appearance.

ReputationRep:
    All be it an Aryan interested in helping people a lot less well of than myself regardless of their colour, creed, race, or religion. Other than that yea you are probably right.

ReputationRep:
    Says the BNP candidate "Mr. WHITE"

ReputationRep:
    i think that even though some germans were with him they were not eduated enough about the jews to make a moral decision about it like the people who considered slavery to be ok were told that the salves were not human people equal to them when people accepted that they were of course it was wrong its the same with the jews people didnt see them as equal because they were indoctranated so they didnt see the full picture

ReputationRep:
    am i bein dumb here but whats aryan

ReputationRep:
    Well there are social moralities and individual moralities, and by both of these he was concidered right at the time in his 'group' (germans). So to a german at that time, the majority would say this is acceptable, so it is a moral decision. But the third and forth type of morality, world and set demi-spiritual moralities it was wrong, and also against constant human moral thinking.
    So although there is an argument for his morality in his decision, that can be argued about anyone at any time. If i decided to go and kill everyone in the world, there would be a moral ground to do it because if i decided to, then it would be for moral reasons.
    People who are concidered 'insane' though, in some cases, cannot form an idea of morality, meaning that any action, either good or bad from the perception of society, could not be morally correct for them.

some people say the jews bought in on themselves by taking over all the buisnesses in germany.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Unregistered
    some people say the jews bought in on themselves by taking over all the buisnesses in germany.
    so just because the jews were good businessmen it wasnt there fault they were just making a living for themselves they shouldnt be discriminated against for doing that if they were good at business then surely they brought money into germany they shouldnt be killed just because of that

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by barbiegrl
    am i bein dumb here but whats aryan
    An Aryan is typically somebody that has Blonde hair and Blue eyes. Hitler considered these people possessing the strongest of the gene pools. But Hitler was also homosexuals and killed lots of homosexuals because he was in denial, so go figure.

ReputationRep:
    mr white.. u say.. after all my mother is jewish.. u do realise that according to jewish law.. that in effect makes u jewish.. so neway.. germans were not of the opinion that jews should be killed and thus hitler was morally right.. becasue they were just too scared to speak out.. the gestapo(secret police).. would have hunted down each an every person who didnt put a nazi flag on their house when ever there was a parade.. its not like u had an opinion in those days!!!

ReputationRep:
    Mr white, it seems as if you are jewish as it goes by the mother.
    But to the main topic, Hitler was unequivocally wrong, absolutely no doubt. Moral relativists will always try and subjectify what is considered right or wrong. It saddens me that someone could actually ask such a question.

Hitler was masterminded perhaps the worst human tragedy ever. Lets not give credence to theories/opinions that might beg to say otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    By traditional standards, then yes, I would be jewish. However, my family is less orthodox than most and, as such, don't adhere to most of the old jewish rules. However, the more central beliefs are still praticed by my mother and, even though my father and I are christians, we still participate in most jewish rituals in the home.

Signing off,
    GC White

P.S. I find it appalling that so many people here are ambivalent or even in favour of what Hitler did - its disusting to think that there are so many anti-semites among us.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, it is very disturbing. Merely entertaining notions that question Hitler's morality has to be fundamentally wrong

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Tednol
    On the subject of burning in hell, do any Christians find it hard to believe he will be in heaven if he accepted Jesus Christ before he died? I'm a Christian and I stuggle to deal with that.

I hope he's burning as we speak, thats what I honestly feel.
    I take it you are protestant, as Catholicism does not share this view.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.