Was Hitler morally 'wrong?' Watch

This discussion is closed.
Maskal|
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
thank you. I didn't understand why he was mad at me either.
Yeah I know.. completely irrational I hate it when people throw there weight around for no reason.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I did some minor research on Hitler for a school project and it appeared that he actualy liked most jews prior to falling into ones debt. Could it be a single unpaid loan was the spark for his hatred and murder of millions?
Apollo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by pal_sch)
I did some minor research on Hitler for a school project and it appeared that he actualy liked most jews prior to falling into ones debt. Could it be a single unpaid loan was the spark for his hatred and murder of millions?
if you are totally insane perhaps
Maskal|
Report 14 years ago
In fact, Hitler showed his deepest respect and thanks to the doctor helping his mother to the end of her days when she was dying of breast cancer. The doctor was jewish. The doctor later escaped persecution at Hitlers order when the nazis came to power.
pal_sch
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by PadFoot90)
if you are totally insane perhaps
The stuff I found on him pointed to a mentaly fragile artist who was gassed by his own side in WW1. He then founded a political movement that was overthrown. He was slammed in jail. At this point a hatred for the Jews became a driving force, as evidenced by Mein Kampf. This was for political reasons, but according to some source the hatred went deeper than that. Strange then that he had lived with a Jew during collage. Insane? Yes.
nayeem18
Report 14 years ago
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" am i bein dumb here but whats aryan " - aryans were mostly scandinavians in a time when there woz only one continent in the world . The brown-skinned people came from Madagaskar to India for honeymoons and the blonde haired blue eyes 7 f tall people came to India riding in horses . It was a miracle for the brown-skinned people to find out that humans can tame horses at that time . Aryans even formed a *****y religion called Hinduism . So the Aryans were the people who created a " religion " in the Brown country , made differences in the social structure ( there are four social classes still revered by many illeterate Hindus in India and Britain ) and made themselves a God of some type . The vikings were scandinavians . In fact , Hitler wanted his race to be the best . He borrowed the idea of saying " Heil HItler " from " Hail Caesar " , he borrowed the idea of his supirior master race constantly engaged in combat from the viking lifestyle ( truly , the vikings were great warriors ) . I personally think his idea of world domination was similar to the dream cherished by Queen Victoria and the British empire of that time . It was just that he was not really a cool and fashionable and popular guy .
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by nayeem18)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" am i bein dumb here but whats aryan " - aryans were mostly scandinavians in a time when there woz only one continent in the world . The brown-skinned people came from Madagaskar to India for honeymoons and the blonde haired blue eyes 7 f tall people came to India riding in horses . It was a miracle for the brown-skinned people to find out that humans can tame horses at that time . Aryans even formed a *****y religion called Hinduism . So the Aryans were the people who created a " religion " in the Brown country , made differences in the social structure ( there are four social classes still revered by many illeterate Hindus in India and Britain ) and made themselves a God of some type . The vikings were scandinavians . In fact , Hitler wanted his race to be the best . He borrowed the idea of saying " Heil HItler " from " Hail Caesar " , he borrowed the idea of his supirior master race constantly engaged in combat from the viking lifestyle ( truly , the vikings were great warriors ) . I personally think his idea of world domination was similar to the dream cherished by Queen Victoria and the British empire of that time . It was just that he was not really a cool and fashionable and popular guy .
I don't think the British Empire or Queen Victoria wanted to dominate the world. Only the valuable and useful parts of it.
legon
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by elisabeth_rb)
Not that many. Of those who knew what was going on, many were just to terrified to speak out against it. I suspect very few of us know what it's like to live under a regime where speaking up can lead to your being carted off and shot! Also, worth bearing in mind is the sheer amount of underground resistance activity going on at the time. The amount of people who consciously supported Hitler at that time was minimal. Most of those who did were also just going along with it.
there is quite considerable debate over whether a large proportion of the population knew. goldhagens book is particularly relevant to this argument, he suggests the majority knew and silently supported the actions. though of course other scholars have demonstrated few knew.
all i will say is it is hard to take either stance, i dont believe it is a case of either/or. for example the smell of burning flesh from the death camps would have been extremeley pungent and though the trains constantly transporting jews intot he camps were widely known about. it is not difficult to put the two things together. however, think of the context of the war, people had more immediate problems, food, loved ones etc etc and so whether things that should have raised alarm bells did in fact do so, or whether people simply pushed things to the back of their minds are both valid answers that could contribute to a more balanced and complex picture than the simple, "the germsna did know/the germand didnt know argument"
some great books on many of these questions have been released by people like browning and...hmmm cant think of anymore at present.

unforunately the other aspect of your argument also does not bear scrutiny. unlike in france or many other occupied territories, in germany the resistance was minor, if not wholly insignificant. apart from the stauffenberg plot and a few other events there was little in the way organised resistance...and by thsi i mean organised resistance. it is debateable as to the extent of personal resistance i.e. non participation with the regime.

and support is another grey area. it can take many forms and is not such a dichotomous question of support/resistance. people did still support hitler at the time, whether this was for economic reasons, his leadership style or his anti semitism would create different conclusions as to how much support he had and what form it took.

peace out.
Jonatan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The stuff I found on him pointed to a mentaly fragile artist who was gassed by his own side in WW1. He then founded a political movement that was overthrown. He was slammed in jail. At this point a hatred for the Jews became a driving force, as evidenced by Mein Kampf. This was for political reasons, but according to some source the hatred went deeper than that. Strange then that he had lived with a Jew during collage. Insane? Yes.
Hitler was indeed a heavy anti-semite when he came to power. However it should be pointed out that it was not Hitler alone who decided to go after the Jews. In teh Nazi party there were several people with much more agressive personalities and attitudes towards the Jews (Dont get me wrong , Hitler wanted the Jews dead, but there were those who had an even greater prejustice against them). As an example, Göring and Göbbels were some of the most important figures in demonising and persecuting the Jews. Hitler, although he knew about and was an important figure in the planning of the death camps, was not the one who controlled them. Hitler was in fact such a person who only managed to see success. Unliek some of his fellow Nazis, he never went to see the extermination of teh Jews in the process, and he refused to vitness the soldiers comming back from war with severe wounds. He was not the sort of person who enyoyed watching other peoples misery (in contradiction to Göring and some of the other Nazi party members), yet he did have a deep hatred for the Jews, and he was one of those who decided they should be exterminated.
ben!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Tednol)
Was Hitler wrong to kill the Jews? There is an argument that he wasn't which goes something like this... What we determine to me morally 'right' or 'wrong' is more an indicator of public opinion at a given time...
Maybe it's just me, but isn't planning the murder of a whole race always wrong?

Anti-semitism didn't come into being with Nazi Germany, Christians have been murdering and ghettoising the Jews roughly since time began. Genocide has always been morally wrong and always will be, whatever the opinion at the time. End of story.

I think you forget that the German people (the majority anyway) didn't know the Jews were being sent to Auschwitz/Belson/etc - I doubt so many, despite the widespread anti-semitism at the time, would have been supportive of Hitler.

But then again, hindsight's a wonderful thing.
ben!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by nayeem18)

"...I personally think his idea of world domination was similar to the dream cherished by Queen Victoria and the British empire of that time . It was just that he was not really a cool and fashionable and popular guy...
Queen Victoria didn't send 6 million to the gas chambers and shooting walls.

I'm not one of these 'oh-we-had-an-empire' types, but please don't confuse the former British Empire with the Nazis. While we were by no means perfect, we didn't built an Auschwitz.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (76)
29.69%
No - I got the required grades (147)
57.42%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.89%

Watched Threads