Morrisseya
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Anyone here done either of these? I need to pick one as my fourth A-level (and get an A* in it) - I'll be self studying too.

How do the two compare?
Safiya122
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A-level RS during the first year is interlinked with sociology. I didn't take RS but I took sociology and my sister is currently taking AS RS and I can see that it's linked to sociology, such as about NRMs so if you want to do RS I'd suggest maybe sociology - would make it better for you?
Morrisseya
Rep:
?
(Original post by Safiya122)
A-level RS during the first year is interlinked with sociology. I didn't take RS but I took sociology and my sister is currently taking AS RS and I can see that it's linked to sociology, such as about NRMs so if you want to do RS I'd suggest maybe sociology - would make it better for you?
Thank you I would, but unfortunately some of the unis I'm applying to have sociology "blacklisted" or stated as a less attractive A level? It sucks, as I'm really interested in it
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Morrisseya)
Thank you I would, but unfortunately some of the unis I'm applying to have sociology "blacklisted" or stated as a less attractive A level? It sucks, as I'm really interested in it
Have they? That's just wrong, sociology is just as good as any other subject.
Morrisseya
Rep:
?
Have they? That's just wrong, sociology is just as good as any other subject.
Yeah, it's on the list of "less acceptable A-levels" at some places, which is a shame IMO

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptabl...t-combinations
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, it's on the list of "less acceptable A-levels" at some places, which is a shame IMO

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/acceptabl...t-combinations
It is do you want to take it? there's health and social care as an alternative?
Morrisseya
Rep:
?
It is do you want to take it? there's health and social care as an alternative?
Aaah, I would but that's not on the list either Y so fussy Cambridge? :eek:

How's your sister finding RS? I might do that TBH, I'm deciding my religion right now anyways and find it quite interesting
Safiya122
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Aaah, I would but that's not on the list either Y so fussy Cambridge? :eek:

How's your sister finding RS? I might do that TBH, I'm deciding my religion right now anyways and find it quite interesting
Really? What choices from?
And yeah she finds it good, a lot of essay writing but it's good.
Morrisseya
Rep:
?
Really? What choices from?
And yeah she finds it good, a lot of essay writing but it's good.
I haven't really narrowed down my choices yet, there's so much to think about first Maybe learning RS might help me decide better lol

I like essays, that might be quite fun actually
fieldy_xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do RS at A2 and really enjoy it, theres a lot of information but it's quite easy to get your head around it if you're organised and I'm sure you'd be able to teach yourself the material

And as Safiya said, it involves a LOT of essay writing. It depends which board you'd be taking, but for AQA you get 1 hour 15 minutes to write 4 essays, and this is for 2 exams which can be back to back if you're unlucky so you could end up writing 8 essays in 2 and a half hours

But, it's a very interesting subject and I'm sure you'd enjoy it
Morrisseya
Rep:
?
(Original post by fieldy_xo)
I do RS at A2 and really enjoy it, theres a lot of information but it's quite easy to get your head around it if you're organised and I'm sure you'd be able to teach yourself the material

And as Safiya said, it involves a LOT of essay writing. It depends which board you'd be taking, but for AQA you get 1 hour 15 minutes to write 4 essays, and this is for 2 exams which can be back to back if you're unlucky so you could end up writing 8 essays in 2 and a half hours

But, it's a very interesting subject and I'm sure you'd enjoy it
Thanks I actually don't mind essay writing so much actually. It can be stressful in a paper tho!

It sounds really interesting, do you learn about any particularly religions more than others?
fieldy_xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thanks I actually don't mind essay writing so much actually. It can be stressful in a paper tho!

It sounds really interesting, do you learn about any particularly religions more than others?
At AS I learnt about Hinduism alongside Christian ethical theories, and I was meant to learn about Hinduism at A2 also. But my teacher left and the topics had to be changed as the new teacher doesn't specialize in another religon other than christianity :/

But seen as you're going to teach yourself you can choose to learn about Buddhism/Hinduism/Islam depending on the board you sit
KhushBC
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm doing Philosophy.
By far my favourite subject - bare debating and it's generally pretty cool cuz you learn to view things differently.
I'd defo recommend it.
swadey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If your looking into it i would say go for it. However I must warn you that i studied it as an 'Interest Course' and its impossible .-.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise