The Student Room Group

Is reverse racism a thing

I don't even like the usage of this term,but here it goes.
Can people of colour be racist towards whites? I say yes,based on my understanding of the world racism. But I've heard arguments that racism is systematic,and that people who are oppressed cannot be racist to whites?

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by teenhorrorstory
Can people of colour be racist towards whites? I say yes,based on my understanding of the world racism. But I've heard arguments that racism is systematic,and that people who are oppressed cannot be racist to whites?

Thoughts?

Most of the time 'reverse racism' is more like xenophobia. The social/political definition of racism is prejudice backed up by power.
Original post by mscaffrey
Most of the time 'reverse racism' is more like xenophobia. The social/political definition of racism is prejudice backed up by power.

No it isn't, racism is just prejudice derived from racial characteristics.

Yes, ethnic minority people can be racist. Do you think if I stroll into Japan, the abuse I will receive as a white male is not racism, just because the people doing it aren't white?

No, that's a stupid suggestion. The people who suggest that there is such a thing as 'reverse racism', or that racism is 'prejudice and power' are either stupid or ideologues.
What do you mean by reverse racism? :confused:

Racism is just defined as discriminating someone or a group (in a certain race) by saying that they are inferior to another race.

Although racism towards black people is more 'common', it does not mean that it cannot happen any other way. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomfailinghelp
No, that's a stupid suggestion. The people who suggest that there is such a thing as 'reverse racism', or that racism is 'prejudice and power' are either stupid or ideologues.

I disagree. If someone gives you a job because you're black (in order to fill some kind of bs quota regarding fair employment) then that's positive discrimination, which can be construed as "reverse racism", though not in the same sense as black on white racism as OP is suggesting.
Original post by karmacrunch
What do you mean by reverse racism? :confused:

Racism is just defined as discriminating someone or a group (in a certain race) by saying that they are inferior to another race.

Although racism towards black people is more 'common', it does not mean that it cannot happen any other way. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's why I don't like the use of the term. Racism is racism IMO.
No. Because it isn't reverse. Racism =/= white abusing black. Racism = Person A abusing Person B because of race.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drunk Punx
I disagree. If someone gives you a job because you're black (in order to fill some kind of bs quota regarding fair employment) then that's positive discrimination, which can be construed as "reverse racism", though not in the same sense as black on white racism as OP is suggesting.

It's still better described as 'racism' - if you're going to play this game, why not just describe it as 'positive racism'?
Racism isn't only white people discriminating against people of other skin colours/nationalities (white/black etc. aren't actually 'races'), it's applicable to anyone, therefore 'reverse racism' cannot exist.
It's still better described as 'racism' - if you're going to play this game, why not just describe it as 'positive racism'?

I'm not denying it as being racist. In fact, I abhor positive discrimination because it in itself is the very thing that it's trying to dissuade; racism. It's a very contradictory concept that clearly lacked any real forethought.

That being said, even though it is racist it's trying not to be racist (while failing horribly), hence why I said that it can be construed as reverse racism.

Edit: whether I adhere to that notion or nor is neither here nor there, though if you're curious, I hold the belief that racism is racism, and that should answer your unasked question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Argument i saw on Twitter on this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416939757.901178.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416939790.677959.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416939808.733899.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416939822.126869.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416939835.130012.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1416939846.594301.jpg
Reply 11

Thoughts?

Can people of colour be racist to whites? Yes, especially where whites are in the minority.

Reverse racism is often used to described where companies give an advantage to minorities applying for a position over the dominant race, for example to promote diversity in the boardroom.
Original post by pjm600
Can people of colour be racist to whites? Yes, especially where whites are in the minority.

Reverse racism is often used to described where companies give an advantage to minorities applying for a position over the dominant race, for example to promote diversity in the boardroom.

I thought that was positive discrimination?

There is no such thing as 'positive' discrimination. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Eh, maybe I'm wrong but I thought they're pretty much interchangable.
Reply 15
No it isn't, racism is just prejudice derived from racial characteristics.

Yes, ethnic minority people can be racist. Do you think if I stroll into Japan, the abuse I will receive as a white male is not racism, just because the people doing it aren't white?

This basically. Racism is definitely not limited to whites, though white people have generally had the privileged position of being above other races. Go to non-white countries and its completely different - best examples are Mexico, South Africa and Colombia.

Then of course there's the racial segregation in places like Palestine/Israel, or in India and Pakistan due to religion. Saying racism is a white problem or is inherently problematic in white people is ridiculous. Anyone who tries to make the argument that whites can't experience racism clearly doesn't want the world to progress to a state of equality.

Thoughts?

Racism is the act of prejudice towards a person, or group of people, based on their race. Some people will try to say that it is impossible for them to be racist if, for example, they are black and their victim is white. This is both incorrect and no less illegal than the other way around. Any person can be racist to any other person.

Reverse racism could technically be construed as a person being prejudice towards others of their own race.
Original post by karmacrunch
There is no such thing as 'positive' discrimination. :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Positive discrimination:noun

the provision of special opportunities in employment, training, etc for a disadvantaged group, such as women, ethnic minorities, etc US equivalent: affirmative action
racism
noun

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Clearly, "reverse racism" is not a thing. Racism is just racism.

Ironically, racism does not discriminate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm not denying it as being racist. In fact, I abhor positive discrimination because it in itself is the very thing that it's trying to dissuade; racism. It's a very contradictory concept that clearly lacked any real forethought.

That being said, even though it is racist it's trying not to be racist (while failing horribly), hence why I said that it can be construed as reverse racism.

Edit: whether I adhere to that notion or nor is neither here nor there, though if you're curious, I hold the belief that racism is racism, and that should answer your unasked question.

I didn't ask the question because it seemed fairly obvious that you support the notion of reverse racism - you disagreed that it was stupid after all.

I don't care either, this entire discussion is ridiculous. Nobody who should be taken seriously is concerned about this debate, because there isn't one. The only people who believe in this bull**** are rabid Tumblr SJWs, and instead of conversing with these, we should spend our time productively, finding the most effective way to ship them all to Uganda.

Quick Reply

Latest