The Student Room Group

Is reverse racism a thing

Scroll to see replies

It's not reverse racism. It's racism.

Original post by teenhorrorstory
I don't even like the usage of this term,but here it goes.
Can people of colour be racist towards whites? I say yes,based on my understanding of the world racism. But I've heard arguments that racism is systematic,and that people who are oppressed cannot be racist to whites?

Thoughts?

There's no such thing as reverse racism, only racism, which includes racism against white people.
Ugh, no. White people need to stop trying to make 'reverse-racism' happen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hmm I agree racism is racism. But yes white people do not experience it to the level of e.g. blacks. That's not to say its not possible for a black person to be racist to a white person,or an indian to a white person. I've seen that term being used a lot on social media. Usually goes something like this

User makes prejudice remark against white people.

White user: omg ur so racist

User:s-smilie:TOP TRYING TO MAKE REVERSE RACISM HAPPEN
It's called Zimbabwe or South Africa.
It's actually pretty fatuous to think that whites are the only people capable of racism. The entire world is not simply whites and victims of whites.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I disagree. If someone gives you a job because you're black (in order to fill some kind of bs quota regarding fair employment) then that's positive discrimination, which can be construed as "reverse racism", though not in the same sense as black on white racism as OP is suggesting.

It would be positive discrimination towards the person offered the job and racism towards the others who were not given due consideration on account of their race.

Anyone from any race has the capacity to be racist, whether you are or are not a minorty is of no consequence.

Reverse racism as a concept makes no sense. The reverse or opposite of racism would be to no behave at all in a racist manner, not to do it back to the other group, the other group would be classed simply as also being racist.
Original post by SophiaLDN
Ugh, no. White people need to stop trying to make 'reverse-racism' happen.

I think that the majority view so far here has been that there's no such thing. Racism is racism, regardless of who's on the receiving end.
Reply 28
Can people of colour be racist towards whites? I say yes,based on my understanding of the world racism. But I've heard arguments that racism is systematic,and that people who are oppressed cannot be racist to whites?

Thoughts?

Yes as a black man I can tell you I know alot of black people who are racist towards white people and take the piss out off them. Jeremy Kyle show is the fuel of most of my sisters racism.. she sits through the show making comments about white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Yes as a black man I can tell you I know alot of black people who are racist towards white people and take the piss out off them. Jeremy Kyle show is the fuel of most of my sisters racism.. she sits through the show making comments about white people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So your sister watches Jeremy Kyle, and then judges other people?
Reply 30
Original post by TurboCretin
So your sister watches Jeremy Kyle, and then judges other people?

Yes like all racists its based on ignorance.. or does it sting you when its directed at your race? Hypocrite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Yes like all racists its based on ignorance.. or does it sting you when its directed at your race? Hypocrite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't sting, I just feel sorry for your sister (and think that viewers of Jeremy Kyle are in no position to judge anyone). I don't see how I'm being hypocritical.
Reply 32
Original post by TurboCretin
It doesn't sting, I just feel sorry for your sister (and think that viewers of Jeremy Kyle are in no position to judge anyone). I don't see how I'm being hypocritical.

Bet you don't pitty the numerous white racists.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Bet you don't pitty the numerous white racists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those I despise.
"Reverse" racism would imply that it's only supposed to go one way (i.e. whites being racist towards blacks), but this isn't always true. Non-whites are very capable of being intolerant of white people and showing deep prejudices towards other races. The whole 'racism is about power' thing is a recently tacked on clause invented solely for the purpose of deflecting accusations of racism away from other racial groups. Racism was, and always will be, prejudice towards--or the mistreatment of--a person or persons on the grounds of their race, whether the culprit is black, white, brown, or otherwise.
Original post by NHM713
Thought it was fitting.

I don't really buy that comic's message. There are poor, downtrodden white people, and there are rich, powerful black people. The comic implies that all white people managed to benefit form slavery and are living the good life, whereas all black people continue to suffer for it and are living in the gutter, which isn't true. Not every individual deserves a 'leg up' or a 'knock down' simply because they are a certain race -- we all have very different socio-economic backgrounds, family histories, etc.

Thoughts?

Racism isn't something exclusive that only white people do. So in that sense it's not "reverse" racism, if say a black man is being racist towards white man, it's still same old racism.

What would be "reverse racism" or tokenism is when someone is trying to "correct" the social injustices he believes to be, by being racist.

For example a black graduate being given an unfair advantage applying for a job because of his skin colour, for the sake of diversity and appeasing some political agenda, because statistically blacks are under-represented in some place.

Another example, image an advertisement with 5 people, forcing producers to have at least 1 black person in that ad and thus turning someone down just because they're not black, is what I would call racism or "reverse racism". And it's something that I find ****ed up.

White people also face racism and it's something largely ignored in the media, being called whiteys, crackers, gringos, gaijins is pretty much the same as getting called ****** or wetbacks, yet it doesn't get ** out for some reason as N word does. You also have racially based attacks on white people as well and prejudices from other races. Some people also themselves are enforcing this racism on their race. And from my personal experience, being white I've been attacked and harassed, solely because I'm white, so racism goes both ways and it's not going away any time soon. Which is a pity, we are all people after all, however different.
(edited 9 years ago)
No-one who understands the definition of racism tries to force reverse racism as a genuine concern. Anyone can be racist regardless of race. Anyone can be sexist regardless of sex.
Reply 39
Reading this post has made me really happy. You guys get it!

I now have say the terrible and obligatory (forgive me) 'Faith in humanity restored'

But genuinely, you peeps are next level. Totally agree, racism is racism, doesn't matter what colour or country you're from.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending