The Student Room Group

HELP! Undecided and confused

Hey guys! So I'm quite confused as to where to go next year. So far I've heard back from two of my choices, KCL and Bristol, and I'm not sure which one to pick. I'll be reading Physics and Philosophy, so apart from the general reputation, I'd like to hear about the reputations of each department.
What about the cities? Accommodation, student life? Could you help me write a list of pros and cons?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Bump!
I woudl personally choose King's College London over Bristol. The latter seems better on some rankings, but King's has such a good reputation. Plus, I heard it has excellent facilities (at least for medicine) and although I can't really talk about Physics and Philosophy (more of a biochemistry guy here), KCL's courses in general are said to be very complete.

And who can forget about its location. KCL lies in London, the best city in the world. You'll be so close to everything you'll never get bored.
Reply 3
Original post by TheGangsterPuppy
I woudl personally choose King's College London over Bristol. The latter seems better on some rankings, but King's has such a good reputation. Plus, I heard it has excellent facilities (at least for medicine) and although I can't really talk about Physics and Philosophy (more of a biochemistry guy here), KCL's courses in general are said to be very complete.

And who can forget about its location. KCL lies in London, the best city in the world. You'll be so close to everything you'll never get bored.

Thanks for the advice! However, won't I feel overwhelmed by such a big city?
Original post by CrisSBaader
Thanks for the advice! However, won't I feel overwhelmed by such a big city?

Well, maybe at the start, but after a couple of weeks, I'm sure you'll get used to it. I think it's so worth it to have some disorienting days in exchange for years of London-life.
Reply 5
Original post by TheGangsterPuppy
Well, maybe at the start, but after a couple of weeks, I'm sure you'll get used to it. I think it's so worth it to have some disorienting days in exchange for years of London-life.

I guess you might be right:smile:
Reply 6
What about costs of living?
Reply 7
Bump
What about costs of living?

I very much doubt that you could find anywhere more expensive than central London.

Going back to the topic of this thread, go with whichever one you think you'd enjoy most. That's the most important thing.
Reply 9
Original post by Chlorophile
I very much doubt that you could find anywhere more expensive than central London.

Going back to the topic of this thread, go with whichever one you think you'd enjoy most. That's the most important thing.

My issue is that I don't know... I'm so confused
My issue is that I don't know... I'm so confused

Have you visited both? What are you confused about?
Have you visited both? What are you confused about?

I've been to KCL's front door at the Strand Campus but that's about it and I'm going to Bristol's offer holder visiting day in February.

In terms of reputation within the UK, is the difference that abysmal to take it into account? Would I be stupid to turn down KCL for Bristol or viceversa?

I'm confused about the whole thing, I'm not sure whether I will feel lost in London or feel as if I'm missing out on stuff in Bristol
I've been to KCL's front door at the Strand Campus but that's about it and I'm going to Bristol's offer holder visiting day in February.

In terms of reputation within the UK, is the difference that abysmal to take it into account? Would I be stupid to turn down KCL for Bristol or viceversa?

I'm confused about the whole thing, I'm not sure whether I will feel lost in London or feel as if I'm missing out on stuff in Bristol

If it's not too inconvenient, I'd really suggest actually visiting KCL. If they don't have an offer holder's open day, email them and ask if you can visit. It's impossible to get a good impression of a uni without actually visiting it. For instance, I thought Southampton was really great until I visited it. Nothing against Southampton and it'd be great for lots of people, but it wasn't the place I thought I'd be happy in. So it's really important to get a feel for the university if you can do that.

Looking at the league tables, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them. Bristol seems to be doing slightly better than King's but to be honest, the difference doesn't seem that big. So I don't think reputation could really be a decisive factor for you, they're both good. Have you carefully looked at what student life is like and have you examined the courses in detail? Because the courses won't be the same and there might be something that particularly appeals to you.

Unfortunately, only you can be the judge of which city you'd prefer to live in, nobody here can make that decision for you ):
If it's not too inconvenient, I'd really suggest actually visiting KCL. If they don't have an offer holder's open day, email them and ask if you can visit. It's impossible to get a good impression of a uni without actually visiting it. For instance, I thought Southampton was really great until I visited it. Nothing against Southampton and it'd be great for lots of people, but it wasn't the place I thought I'd be happy in. So it's really important to get a feel for the university if you can do that.

Looking at the league tables, there doesn't seem to be a huge difference between them. Bristol seems to be doing slightly better than King's but to be honest, the difference doesn't seem that big. So I don't think reputation could really be a decisive factor for you, they're both good. Have you carefully looked at what student life is like and have you examined the courses in detail? Because the courses won't be the same and there might be something that particularly appeals to you.

Unfortunately, only you can be the judge of which city you'd prefer to live in, nobody here can make that decision for you ):

The thing is that the main difference is just labs. KCL doesn't do them and Bristol does, but otherwise the course is similarly structured except for the fact that I've applied for a year abroad at KCL.

By the way, what's your opinion about QS rankings? KCL does amazingly well there, 16th in the world overall…

Quick Reply

Latest