The Student Room Group

Is EPQ actually worth it?

Poll

Is EPQ actually worth it?

Currently in Year 12 and am considering doing EPQ next year since there wasn't any space for EPQ this year, however I've heard mixed responses though.
According to some its a good thing to have on your personal statement and is actually quite great to do as well however other reviews says that's a total waste of time.

Does anyone agree that EPQ is worth it or not and if so why?
I'm considering doing it next year...:colondollar:

EDIT - Please select one, accidentally made the poll so that you choose more than one and don't know how to change it back...:colondollar:

PS - I'm hoping to do a chemistry-related degree, will it be good to consider?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I think it depends what you are considering doing at uni, and if you think you will actually finish it (we were told only 1/3 of people who apply actually finish it!) If you're thinking of applying for competitive unis/courses it's very good to show you have a wider interest in the subject and are actually committed to studying it further! I think it depends also on how many alevels/extra curricular things you are already doing - think about if for you it's worth it.
I found it very fun and interesting as it allowed to me explore a topic I hadn't in college, and I really enjoyed it!
Reply 2
Our careers advisor told us that often if you did an EPQ on a topic relevant to your uni course, it has the possibility of bringing down the entry requirements by 1 grade (so an A*AA offer might go to AAA). Personally if you have the time why not ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by MrJAKEE
Our careers advisor told us that often if you did an EPQ on a topic relevant to your uni course, it has the possibility of bringing down the entry requirements by 1 grade (so an A*AA offer might go to AAA). Personally if you have the time why not ? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Can it actually drop an entire grade?
Didn't know that..
I've just started it and from what I can see it will be really good and beneficial because it shows you have a deeper interest in the subject you want to study (so long as you do it on that subject) and even if you dont it gives you practise for uni because my achool keeps referring to it as a mini dissertation
Reply 5
Original post by zhang-liao
Really? Can it actually drop an entire grade?
Didn't know that..

Supposedly so. Just don't do it on an irrelevant topic. I should add this is only if you get an A* in the EP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest