The Student Room Group

Southampton Children's Nursing Selection days

Hi all, I was just wondering whether on the selection days at Southampton whether or not you do your maths and english tests on the day and if so do they tell you before what you are expected to know about, is it like GCSE maths and English??

Scroll to see replies

Hiya! I recommend posting in the Southampton forum. You can find it here. The reason is that in that forum you will find other students preparing for selection days, so you can share tips, and there will be current students who can tell you about their experiences.

Best of luck with your selection day! :smile:
Original post by Naomi_96
Hi all, I was just wondering whether on the selection days at Southampton whether or not you do your maths and english tests on the day and if so do they tell you before what you are expected to know about, is it like GCSE maths and English??

Hey! I'm a 1st year child nurse at southampton! So the interview consists of a maths test, an english test and a group interview. They can be done in any order on the day. The maths is based on adding, subtracting, multiplication and division, there were also questions on decimals so do some recap on that too! :smile: if you have any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck! X
Original post by nkbarker176
Hey! I'm a 1st year child nurse at southampton! So the interview consists of a maths test, an english test and a group interview. They can be done in any order on the day. The maths is based on adding, subtracting, multiplication and division, there were also questions on decimals so do some recap on that too! :smile: if you have any other questions feel free to ask! Good luck! X

Hi, I have a selection day for dual nursing on wednesday and am petrified about the Literacy test. What kind of questions do they ask? And what do they ask at the group interview? Sorry for asking so many questions
Original post by hateusernames
Hi, I have a selection day for dual nursing on wednesday and am petrified about the Literacy test. What kind of questions do they ask? And what do they ask at the group interview? Sorry for asking so many questions

Hey! The literacy test is completely fine, were you given a booklet or a subject to look at? The english test was write about one of the 6 c's and why it is important to child nursing. The maths and english test has to be done within 60 mins so i spent like 50 mins on the maths and then rushed the english! So you'll be fine! My group interview was a group of 5 of us, we were then given the question of 'what are the most important attributes for a nurse' and then as a group we had to come up with the top 5, so i think their seeing how well you work as a group, whether you contribute etc :smile: xx
Hey! The literacy test is completely fine, were you given a booklet or a subject to look at? The english test was write about one of the 6 c's and why it is important to child nursing. The maths and english test has to be done within 60 mins so i spent like 50 mins on the maths and then rushed the english! So you'll be fine! My group interview was a group of 5 of us, we were then given the question of 'what are the most important attributes for a nurse' and then as a group we had to come up with the top 5, so i think their seeing how well you work as a group, whether you contribute etc :smile: xx

I've been given the NHS constitution and a policy about carers to read :smile: Oh that's not too bad - set the butterflies a little at rest. Thank you so much, that was so helpful! Are you enjoying it? Is the student life good? xx
I've been given the NHS constitution and a policy about carers to read :smile: Oh that's not too bad - set the butterflies a little at rest. Thank you so much, that was so helpful! Are you enjoying it? Is the student life good? xx

The english test will be based on that so as long as you do read it you'll be fine! I was terrified for my interview, i completely thought i'd messed up but i got in! :smile:. Yeah i do love it, when people say it's hard work their not kidding! But it'll be so worth it in the end :smile: xx
The english test will be based on that so as long as you do read it you'll be fine! I was terrified for my interview, i completely thought i'd messed up but i got in! :smile:. Yeah i do love it, when people say it's hard work their not kidding! But it'll be so worth it in the end :smile: xx

Thank you so much! i'll re-read them now :smile: haha okay xx
Reply 8

Thank you very much, did you think the maths and english test was more difficult than you expected. It may sound a silly question but can you use a calculator in the tests because in some you can for sections of the paper. :smile:
When's your selection day? :smile:
Reply 10
When's your selection day? :smile:

Mines on the 6th January, when is yours? :smile:
Ohh Good Luck! Mine's tomorrow…absolutely petrified :P
Reply 12
aww thank you, good luck to you as well, you'll be fine :smile:
Thank - you :smile: what were your predicted grades? if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 14
umm... my predicted at the moment is DDM but I am trying to aim for at least a DDD what about yours?
ABB i think although Im going for AAB :smile:
Reply 16
:smile:, Good luck for tomorrow :smile:
Thank you :smile:)
Original post by Naomi_96
Thank you very much, did you think the maths and english test was more difficult than you expected. It may sound a silly question but can you use a calculator in the tests because in some you can for sections of the paper. :smile:

I thought the english test was easy! But the maths was alot harder than i expected! I can't remember if we could use a calculator...i don't think we could! Xx
Reply 19
I thought the english test was easy! But the maths was alot harder than i expected! I can't remember if we could use a calculator...i don't think we could! Xx

Thank you :smile: thats okay, some of the practice ones do while other don't so I was just wondering :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest