The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree without Maths?

I like the look of computer science, I like both maths and IT/computing. I didn't take maths at AS (Im still currently in year 12) but I did take core maths (A new course aimed at people who got A* - C at GCSE but isn't hard at all). I was wondering if you know of any courses who look at applications who don't have maths? I've also done some research and I've seen that unis like Newcastle and Lancaster don't "ask" for maths, do these unis really not care too much about it or are they just wanting more applications?

Thanks in advance.

P.S If you don't have any ideas i'm absolutely fine with doing a foundation year as long as i get the degree in the end :smile:
Bump. I'm also interested in a computer science degree but have not taken a Physics/Maths AS level.
Would highly recommend taking maths next year if you can. Also, I don't mean to be condescending at all if you are aware, merely just ensuring; are you aware of how mathematical a lot of computer science courses are? A lot of people would assume it's programming and a bit of terminology and little else but most courses will be very heavily integrated with mathematics.

With regards to whether they require maths at A-Level, even if they don't require it they'll almost definitely look favourably on it. But no, if they don't list it in their entry requirements I doubt they'll strictly require it.
Original post by anunoriginaluser
Would highly recommend taking maths next year if you can. Also, I don't mean to be condescending at all if you are aware, merely just ensuring; are you aware of how mathematical a lot of computer science courses are? A lot of people would assume it's programming and a bit of terminology and little else but most courses will be very heavily integrated with mathematics.

With regards to whether they require maths at A-Level, even if they don't require it they'll almost definitely look favourably on it. But no, if they don't list it in their entry requirements I doubt they'll strictly require it.

I agreed with this for the most part. I am off to uni next year to study CompSci without maths at A level. I have done Computing, ICT and Sociology. Most russell group unis like you to do Maths to A level, its not actually because the course requires a lot of maths its because of the problem solving skills you acquire from maths. Unis always seem to recap all relevant maths in the first year anyway.

(P.S: I have applied to Nottingham, Newcastle, Liverpool, Birmingham, Leeds - None of which require maths, most require computing)

BUT you will need to take either Computing or Maths at A level if you want to get into top unis! Trust me! It is normally required.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AidanB98
I like the look of computer science, I like both maths and IT/computing. I didn't take maths at AS (Im still currently in year 12) but I did take core maths (A new course aimed at people who got A* - C at GCSE but isn't hard at all). I was wondering if you know of any courses who look at applications who don't have maths? I've also done some research and I've seen that unis like Newcastle and Lancaster don't "ask" for maths, do these unis really not care too much about it or are they just wanting more applications?

Thanks in advance.

P.S If you don't have any ideas i'm absolutely fine with doing a foundation year as long as i get the degree in the end :smile:

Trying to learn CS without Maths is like trying to learn Physics without Maths.
Reply 5
Third year CS student here without Maths A-Level. Can confirm it's not really needed (I'm averaging 71%) and that the maths you will learn is completely different.
It is true that pure CS needs only discrete maths, but your average CS will likely include stuff like machine learning and computer vision which need maths stuff that is not discrete maths.
Original post by Juichiro
Trying to learn CS without Maths is like trying to learn Physics without Maths.

If you can give me one way you have used content from A Level Maths in A Level CS, I might believe you. There is no overlap whatsoever between these subjects, other than problem solving skills, which you can learn by taking either course.
Original post by liam__
Third year CS student here without Maths A-Level. Can confirm it's not really needed (I'm averaging 71%) and that the maths you will learn is completely different.

If you don't mind, which uni did you go to and which CS degree are you doing?
Original post by Archie_Margretts
If you don't mind, which uni did you go to and which CS degree are you doing?

Hey just saw this reply on my emails. I graduated last year with a 1st in CompSci at Nottingham. All without maths A-Level. I can now say it’s deffo not needed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending