The Student Room Group

Crime and Deviance Essay Help! (A2 AQA)

My teacher has just gone away on sick leave, our new substitute set us an essay to see what grades we are working at. I want to impress him (I'm aiming for an A* and want to prove to him I can achieve this!!) However, he set the essay on the topic we haven't started studying yet, so I have no idea what to include! We have textbooks, so I can use that but I'm still a bit stuck where to begin! Any help would be super useful!!

The question set is "Crime is both inevitable and functional for society. Explain."
Ahhh this. I remember getting an A last year on this paper. #happiness.
Unfortunately I've forgot most of it. This question is linked to functionalists view of sociology. So mention the different theories and their points of views and then use others like Marxists (there are two types to consider) and Feminists and why they would go against this. getrevising.co.uk has some good notes if you need any :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Safiya122
Ahhh this. I remember getting an A last year on this paper. #happiness.
Unfortunately I've forgot most of it. This question is linked to functionalists view of sociology. So mention the different theories and their points of views and then use others like Marxists (there are two types to consider) and Feminists and why they would go against this. getrevising.co.uk has some good notes if you need any :smile:

ahh thank you!! I guessed it was functionalism, however, we haven't learnt any of the A2 theory either yet, so it's quite difficult. I will check out getrevising though Thank you!!
Original post by citydeer
ahh thank you!! I guessed it was functionalism, however, we haven't learnt any of the A2 theory either yet, so it's quite difficult. I will check out getrevising though Thank you!!

welcome and from what i remember there's merton's strain theory, durkheim and a couple of others i think
Reply 4
Original post by Safiya122
welcome and from what i remember there's merton's strain theory, durkheim and a couple of others i think

Thank you! Thats super helpful, give me a place to start researching!!
For Traditional Marxism, they (sorry can't recall the actual sociologists :colondollar: ) argue that crime is inevitable because of the nature of capitalism is crimogenic, meaning that people have become greedy and see themselves as consumers etc.

You could do quite a big chunk of the essay using Durkheim, I'd suggest looking at his ideas of boundary testing and boundary maintenance :smile:

Also, to get a good grade you'll need to include A02 points, Matza is a pretty good sociologist to use for this
Reply 6
Original post by fieldy_xo
For Traditional Marxism, they (sorry can't recall the actual sociologists :colondollar: ) argue that crime is inevitable because of the nature of capitalism is crimogenic, meaning that people have become greedy and see themselves as consumers etc.

You could do quite a big chunk of the essay using Durkheim, I'd suggest looking at his ideas of boundary testing and boundary maintenance :smile:

Also, to get a good grade you'll need to include A02 points, Matza is a pretty good sociologist to use for this

Thank you! Really helpful places to start!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending