The Student Room Group

Music/Music Tech A-Level or Level 3 BTEC Music?

Hey,
I need help deciding whether or not to do Music and Music Tech A Levels (I would do both) or to go to college and do BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Music performance.

I am doing GCSE Music and enjoying most of it (coursework mainly), but I do enjoy the performance side more and play guitar in 2 bands but I worry that doing BTEC diploma might mean I don't get as well-valued if it comes to uni etc.

Does anyone have any experience doing Music A-Level, Music Tech A-Level or BTEC Music at level 2 or 3 and could tell me a bit about it and whether its worth the time :smile:

Thanks
What would your third/fourth subject be, and how much do you enjoy it?
For subjects such as Music, BTECs are more or less on the same level, as the A-level will likely have a huge coursework component. The idea that BTECs are less respected generally only apply to sciences.
If I had a 3rd subject it would be media, which I am happy to do but honestly all I really want to do is music
Media has a huge coursework component, so I would personally go for a BTEC if all you really want to do is Music.
Some unis don't accept both music and music tech separately I don't think (I'm sure I've seen that somewhere anyway, I was looking at joint honours though!). All those are heavily coursework based so you'd be better just doing the BTEC I think. As for level 2 or 3, you'll want the level 3 one as that's the same as A level :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest