The Student Room Group

Can I do medicine without Chemistry?

Hi

Im taking Physics, Maths, Biology and Philosophy and am predicted As in them all, is there any universities that will take me for Medicine? I looked at foundation year courses but many won't take me because I'm at a good school.

Strangely Manchester said it wouldn't take someone with Physics Maths and Biology Alevel for a foundation year, any clues why?
A few places ask for biology OR chemistry (I know Newcastle do this) and this is the usual A100 5 year course there is also a medicine degree with a foundation year but I don't know if they are for people with no science A Levels or if you are allowed one
Reply 2
Original post by lolly129
Hi

Im taking Physics, Maths, Biology and Philosophy and am predicted As in them all, is there any universities that will take me for Medicine? I looked at foundation year courses but many won't take me because I'm at a good school.

Strangely Manchester said it wouldn't take someone with Physics Maths and Biology Alevel for a foundation year, any clues why?

Some of the Foundation Medicine courses are for people who have chosen the wrong A-levels, and have a strict limit on the number of sciences you are allowed to have taken - so you're far from eligible for those.

Edit: Info taken straight from UCAS on Manchester's Foundation Medicine:

Grades AAB are required at A2 level in one of the following combinations:Three rigorous arts subjects (ie 60% theoretical content), Two rigorous arts subjects and one science subject, One rigorous arts subject and two science subjects (not chemistry). All A-level subjects must have no more than 40% of total marks based on course work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lolly129
Hi

probably not.
Reply 4
Also, if this is still accurate, then only UEA will be an option for you, unless you take AS Chemistry at some point (can you arrange to do so while doing your A2s?).
Reply 5
Original post by Ronove
Also, if this is still accurate, then only UEA will be an option for you, unless you take AS Chemistry at some point (can you arrange to do so while doing your A2s?).

Newcastle/Durham also, if the OP has GCSE Dual Science or GCSE Chem at grade A

Cardiff too, I think.

From memory, and I've never been a medic applicant there were three to five medical schools someone with the OP's A-levels could apply to, so enough for an application (four choices), it just doesn't leave much room for choice.
Reply 6
Original post by River85
Newcastle/Durham also, if the OP has GCSE Dual Science or GCSE Chem at grade A

Cardiff too, I think.

From memory, and I've never been a medic applicant there were three to five medical schools someone with the OP's A-levels could apply to, so enough for an application (four choices), it just doesn't leave much room for choice.

Ah, I didn't notice the Newcastle/Durham thing, I just skim-read. Is it actually possible to apply to both of those in one cycle? I've never looked into it but know they're essentially the same course.

There's the following info on UCAS about Cardiff's A-level requirements:

At least one A2 Level science must be either Biology or Chemistry. If not offered at A Level, Biology and Chemistry must be offered at AS Level. The typical offer will be grades AAA at A Level. If not offered at A Level, Biology and Chemistry must be with grade A at AS Level.

Quick Reply